The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How Do You Travel With Your Amazingly Expensive MF Camera and Lenses

Mitchell

I have a nifty foam lined case that came with my new Hy6, but it's too big for carry-on.

Do you ship your camera ahead, check it (gulp), or carry them on in a soft case, and worry that the football player next to you cramming his bag into the overhead is crushing it.

With my M8 this is not a problem.

Thanks for any help,

Mitchell

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well i do not follow conventional wisdom and use a hard case I actually use a backpack and this Lowe Pro Primus which for me i cut a bunch of straps off and made it more to my liking but I put my Phase body, lens and back in the top section for easy access. My 28mm lies down in the back and my 150 2.8 , 35 and 55 also . Than created a little slot in there for my batteries. I really like this setup so far which is saying a lot since i have been through more bags than i can remember.

here are some stock photos from B&H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/496002-REG/Lowepro_LP35091_PEU_Primus_AW_Backpack_Black_.html

Guy Mancuso

I took the waist strap off buy cutting it and burning the edges , the same for the chest strap and a few other dangling straps that I will never use.

Guy Mancuso

Yes . I just lay it on the back side your back side since that is where the pad is for the top . The lens area is fully padded but the top only the back which is intended for personal items really but the back is padded. The camera goes in side ways also so the bottom of the camera is on the pad side

Stuart Richardson

I carry the camera and back in a shoulder bag (Domke, Billingham etc) with me on the plane. The lenses go in a Tenba Air Case and are checked. I have flown internationally many many times by now with a checked Tenba air case, and I have never had a single problem -- those cases are the perfect design, because while they are totally solid, they have some give, so they do not transfer shocks or vibrations in the same way that hard bodied cases do. They are also lighter, and thus invite softer handling (the baggage handlers don't have to struggle to move them, so they don't heave them around as much). As for the theft issue -- well, TSA locks and insurance...that's what they are for. If you don't have your equipment properly insured, you should not be traveling with it...or at least you shouldn't be angry when it gets stolen and you are screwed.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I have a Thinktank Antidote. It is a small carry-on, legal for even the tightest international regional jets. In it I can get my body and back with 150 mounted, 35, 55 and 80, charger, batteries, filters and cleaning gear, AND still have room left over for my M8 and three lenses! (The M8 charger needs to be checked or carried in another bag.) This pack comes with a thin front pocket and padded laptop case that holds my MacBookPro. http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_ArprtAntdt.php

M

Mort54

I use ThinkTank's Airport Antidote. It's spacious and well padded, but its main claim to fame is that it fits in the overheads of even the smallest regional jets. No more nerve wracking gate checks.

It'll fit my Mamiya AF-D II, P45+, 35mm, 55-110mm, and 150mm lenses, along with a Nikon D300 or D700 and a few Nikon lenses, plus extra batteries, cable release, polarizer, step up rings, GND filters, and misc odds and ends.

What about carry-on weight restrictions? Anybody had a problem with these?

Sure, the case is the right size, but an MF body, a few lenses... it soon adds up! Some of the budget airlines only allow 5kg for hand luggage.

I've never been stopped, but when you're straining to carry a full kit bag, and trying to keep a nonchalant face... :angel:

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
For what it is worth, I have flown more times than I care to count with my cameras all in a carryon bag. Weight has never been an issue. They do not want the responsibility for damage in the hold of something this expensive. It's always gone into the cabin with me.

Guy Mancuso

Never ran into it but my bag does not weigh much. i carry the laptop separate since when I get there I don't want to lug that always on a shoot and leave at hotel. My workshops i never go out with the laptop or PR stuff so rather keep that bag separate . If I have more gear than i load a small J803 or F803 with non essential stuff and pack in luggage , same with tripod. Worst case i may have to pay for a second bag but I NEVER check my camera's or lenses. If i have trouble i won't fly that airline. Also don't fly with a roller bag. Here is why if you are 3/4 of the way in when boarding they will sometimes stop roller bags for the overheads since they fill up and they start checking them in cargo. But a backpack they can't do that because you can always stuff under your seat. I have had this happen to me and after a huge fight I finally got permission but it took some real begging in the jetway. I almost left that flight

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
What about carry-on weight restrictions? Anybody had a problem with these?

Sure, the case is the right size, but an MF body, a few lenses... it soon adds up! Some of the budget airlines only allow 5kg for hand luggage.

I've never been stopped, but when you're straining to carry a full kit bag, and trying to keep a nonchalant face... :angel:
I've been weighed. The trick is to travel with a travel jacket or vest with lots of pockets. Once you're through security, they cannot do anything about stuff crammed in your pockets. Pretty easy to get your bag under the 5 - 7kg limits if the heaviest lenses and batteries are not in the bag :)

simonclivehughes

The lenses go in a Tenba Air Case and are checked.
Stuart,

Insurance or not, you are a adventurous soul! I'd never trust my equipment (or anything else remotely valuable) to the baggage handlers et al.

I'll toss another vote in here for the Airport Antidote, it's a great bag for traveling. In fact all of the ThinkTank equipment is highly recommended, they have such good design, materials and accessories.

Cheers,

Stuart Richardson

That's the whole point Simon -- the air cases are designed to be checked. That is their purpose -- so that you can check equipment that otherwise might be damaged by rough handling. I know it is not ideal, and I certainly don't check things unless I have to, but if you are leaving for months at a time, you have two choices -- either you leave a bunch of the equipment you need home, or 2. you pack it in something designed to protect it as checked baggage, and trust in your insurance if it is lost or stolen.

mark1958

I travel with my MF using one of two methods: Thinktank carryon sized rollerbags (have one of the original version bags) or an F.64 backpack. I have never had an issue with the size restrictions in terms of getting through security. On occasion they have wanted to search my stuff but as far as getting through security--no other issue. The only other problem I had once was that one of my connecting flights was via a small puddle jumper type plan and my back pack did not fit overhead or below. As a result, I told the flight attendant that I had a bunch of expensive lenses and camera gear and she stowed it in some sort of closet.

So this is what I normally do-- if i am bringing my MF gear, I have the one backpack or roller bag and carryon. I usually have a second briefcase with my computer and any misc stuff. I check my clothes and tripod in my suitcase.

carstenw

I've been weighed. The trick is to travel with a travel jacket or vest with lots of pockets. Once you're through security, they cannot do anything about stuff crammed in your pockets. Pretty easy to get your bag under the 5 - 7kg limits if the heaviest lenses and batteries are not in the bag :)
That's also what I have done :) You can even carry the camera over your shoulder, according to the regulations I am familiar with.

tashley

Subscriber Member
That's also what I have done :) You can even carry the camera over your shoulder, according to the regulations I am familiar with.
Me too... I wear cargo pants and load myself up with all the heavy stuff then re-pack in the departure lounge...