The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How Do You Travel With Your Amazingly Expensive MF Camera and Lenses

T

tetsrfun

I just ordered one of these the other day, have yet to find a backpack that really works but this looks like it could be it.
I would be interested in your report. From what I can see from the pictures, it looks as if it might be both a good back pack and camera case. I would especially like to know if it is set up so that the weight is supported by the waist belt and not by the shoulder straps. Also how well the tripod carrying is done.

Steve

JohnH

Travel Update.

Some of the airlines might be looking for ways of generating revenue. I flew from Brisbane to Bangkok - left yesterday, arrived today, via Singapore Airlines. They weighed my laptop bag and my camera backpack. As a result I had to check in one of these items - I opted for the laptop - it cost me $250 in excess.

Then, in the security check in Brisbane, the XRay revealed an alan [alun] key, and I had to remove it from the camera bag. The security types confiscated it. When I asked why - the response was - well, you could start to dismanle parts of the aircraft. [It did not matter that I have carried that back onto about twenty flights, with alan key, in US, South East Asia and Europe.]

It was almost comedic.

John

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I use a Billingham 445.
ADF and P45+ with short lens (35/55/80) attached, room for 150 and two shorter lenses stacked, plus 15" laptop and all necessary chargers/mouse/cables, room for batteries, cards, blower, etc.
I am very happy with this arrangement other than if I am toting it with a roller bag, it does not have a reliable way of nesting on top.
I have not tried the accessory shoulder harness.
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Travel Update.

Some of the airlines might be looking for ways of generating revenue. I flew from Brisbane to Bangkok - left yesterday, arrived today, via Singapore Airlines. They weighed my laptop bag and my camera backpack. As a result I had to check in one of these items - I opted for the laptop - it cost me $250 in excess.

Then, in the security check in Brisbane, the XRay revealed an alan [alun] key, and I had to remove it from the camera bag. The security types confiscated it. When I asked why - the response was - well, you could start to dismanle parts of the aircraft. [It did not matter that I have carried that back onto about twenty flights, with alan key, in US, South East Asia and Europe.]

It was almost comedic.

John
Wow John... More than comedic, I'd say air travel is getting absurd.

Stuart Richardson

John -- that truly is awful. It is not surprising though -- anything they can do to make it more unpleasant...flying is torture. I wish they would just hurry up and invent teleporters.

Bob -- I also use the Billingham 445 as my main shoulder bag -- it is a really great bag, and if you don't stuff it too fully, it will fit quite easily in an overhead compartment. I have tried the backpack harness -- it is not really worth it...it helps if you are going to be carrying it for a long distance, but it is not nearly as comfortable as a regular backpack, and it is rather awkward to attach and detach. If you need a backpack, a real backpack works better. But as a shoulder bag it is great.

kdphotography

Well, those of you who have noticed my Phase P30 up for sale in the GetDPI buy/sell forum know how well packed my MFDB travels.... :D

All kidding aside, I travel with my gear in either a Lowepro AW Computrekker II which I am not particularly fond of---since it tips the scales at about ten pounds empty. It has much padding and does fit (barely) as a travel carry-on item. The new Guragear bag looks good, but *ouch* expensive and---what, buying another bag?

A much lighter alternative that works well for me is the Airport Ultralight backpack. (But not a great long day hiker). Only 2-3 pounds empty. And, it can fit into a Pelican 1510 roller case, which by itself is a nice protective travel case. At least on small hopper flights where you are forced to "gate-check" you know your gear will be safe in the Pelican 1510 when you pick it up off the tarmac....

M

Mort54

I've had an alan wrench confiscated as well (a couple of years ago). I'm amazed at how good airport Xrays have gotten, because it was jumbled in amongst lots of metal items, and somehow they picked it out.

M

Mort54

At least on small hopper flights where you are forced to "gate-check" you know your gear will be safe in the Pelican 1510 when you pick it up off the tarmac....
If you've ever seen how baggage handlers handle bags, you'd have second thoughts about that statement. I used to travel with my gear in a Pelican 1510, but for small planes it didn't fit in the overhead, so I frequently had to gate check it. One day after landing and waiting for the plane door to be opened, I watched the handlers unload the gate checked bags. They were litterally throwing all of the bags out onto the tarmack, including my Pelican. The Pelican survived, and all my gear survived, EXCEPT my DSLR mirror got knocked out of alignment, messing up the AF and causing the camera to severely front focus. It got knocked out of alignment so badly I couldn't even reliably manual focus. What a mess. I'm sure that was the exception, not the rule, but right after that I bought an Airport Antidote. No more gate checking for me.

Dale Allyn

Wow, John, what a hassle for you. I fly to Bangkok regularly from San Francisco and have not experienced what you describe (obviously each departure airport is different). I typically board and am screened in Sacramento, California, but occasionally have to clear security at SFO again. And upon return I must clear security in San Francisco for domestic flights. My point is that I'm sorry to hear of your hassles, and hopeful that it doesn't spread to many other airports.

I typically fly with one or two DSLRs and 5 to 7 lenses, a ball head and tools (allen wrenches), laptop, etc. My camera kit gets hand inspected about one out of six or eight outbound flights. UA hand-inspects (sort of) all carry-on bags departing from BKK.

My MFDB kit fits into the same backpacks that I use for DSLR and I'm comfortable with them as carryon. My laptop goes into a separate bag in my roller bag, but must be removed from the main bag on first and last legs of the Bangkok round-trips because the flight b/n Sacramento and San Francisco is a B120 30 seater turbo-prop. AFDII, P25+ and six lenses from 35mm to 210mm fit fine. Never a problem and never weighed.

BTW: I always mention to the screener that "there is a tripod head for photography in that bag" and they typically nod and smile with disinterest. After starting that I have had no closer inspections. Don't know if it's related. The ball head is in my roll-on bag which goes through first. My camera kit is always last through the x-ray, after laptop and shoes (in case I get hung-up waiting for the guy to flag me through).

Flying is a hassle these days.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
BTW I do this all the time when putting my camera on the belt at security . I ALWAYS tell them lot's of camera's coming through. I rarely ever get checked. For some reason they like to know what's coming and your upfront about it. Try it

arashm

Hello all
Another vote for the TT Ultra light.
I use this case for flying, I can get quite a bit in there, also I do find the harness quite comfy for around town/airport travel, but not for actual backpack use for hiking and the sort.
If traveling by car I like using my pelicans as I normally lock it down to the child seat anchor and feel a bit of peace of mind if I have to leave the car unattended for a bunch of minutes. It's not pro theves I worry about, they will take the case regardless of how big the pad lock is :) , it's the smash and grabs I worry about!
am

C

carbonmetrictree

I swear, we should've got a bodyguard with the purchase of a VA warranty for our Phase backs.

I tend to keep all of my gear in either the HPRC 3500 hard shell back pack case or a normal Lowepro camera bag while traveling. I try not to check anything into the gate if possible, I do not trust TSA with any of my stuff.

If I'm walking in a really sketchy neighborhood or anywhere in Downtown Los Angeles, I'll drape a light jacket over the camera while slung from my shoulder. That way, it doesn't necessarily read as a camera, nor do I have an actual camera bag for anyone to come and rob from me.

irakly

I have a nifty foam lined case that came with my new Hy6, but it's too big for carry-on.

Do you ship your camera ahead, check it (gulp), or carry them on in a soft case, and worry that the football player next to you cramming his bag into the overhead is crushing it.

With my M8 this is not a problem.

Thanks for any help,

Mitchell
i either use a dedicated contax 645 bag that fits a basic kit and four additional lenses, or a delsey roller that fits the same plus two more lenses.

C

carbonmetrictree

Jeez! I guess I won't be bringing my trusty Alpa tool kit with me to assemble my camera when I take a trip. With six different sized tips, I could probably dismantle an entire wing of a plane :eek:

I've had an alan wrench confiscated as well (a couple of years ago). I'm amazed at how good airport Xrays have gotten, because it was jumbled in amongst lots of metal items, and somehow they picked it out.

carstenw

I expect that one could check the Allen keys, to avoid having them confiscated.

Irakly, what is the custom Contax 645 bag you speak of?

irakly

Irakly, what is the custom Contax 645 bag you speak of?
there is only one in existence, contax cordura bag.
it has two shortcomings: plastic buckles and huge tacky "contax" embroidery on the front. other than that, it is excellent

fotografz

With MF gear I no longer, ever, ever travel with a shoulder bag or backpack.

I use a Kata roller bag that fits under the seat or in the overhead even in smaller airliners. It uses Kata's Interfit roller dolly system ... the roller part can be removed and folded for really tight storage spaces, or after you arrive ... but when running for a plane the dual wheels easily expand outward for extra stability even with other bags piled on it. One roller can be used for different sized bags.

Here's what it holds: two H3D-II cameras (each with mounted lenses: 100mm & 50mm, grip batteries and prisms) ... plus a 24mm, 35mm, 150mm. 1.7X, 4 grip batteries, charger, CF wallet, e-release, plus odds and ends and personal stuff like spare glasses.

Kata is an interesting company ... they make body armor for the Israeli army. Their bags are the tougest I've ever used. They're padded by means of raised exterior "bumps" of tough armor that's as light as can be. The interiors are yellow felt like padded material that allows you to see the gear in dark conditions (like a corner of a candle-lit wedding reception).

irakly

stephengilbert

Re Allen keys: they're the kind of things that officious TSA employees seize even thought they're not prohibited. I had a small pair of folding scissors seized once, and began carrying a copy of the TSA prohibited/permitted items list when I travelled. (The scissors had a rounded tip and were expressly permitted.)

The list permits carrying tools or screwdrivers less than seven inches in length: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#7

The problem is that arguing with a TSA employee is likely to make you to miss your plane, or even be deatained or arrested.