The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The tech cam tripod head question...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
My .02:

D4 is a fine head, but IMHO is Arca's answer for an economy Cube. It's both taller and less rigid, so the added height magnifies the lesser stability. On the upside, it is lighter in weight and cheaper.

Linhof. Great head, but the limited tilt movements drove me nuts, seemingly always occuring when I had no other way to get the shot. IIRC, it was heavier than my Cube by a fair amount and had knob access only on one side, not both as does the Cube. It may also have been even more rigid than my Cube -- if I shot view cameras larger than 5x7 where I rarely needed more than a few degrees of tilt, I would re-investigate it. But I'd probably still stick with the Cube for it's added flexibility.

Cube is not perfect either. But it is the closest tripod head to perfection out there for tech shooters. Period. Take that to the bank. Smooth, rigid, reliable (even in sand and wet) and yes, expensive. But buy it once and smile and pat yourself on the back for making such a smart purchase every single time you use it :)

Udo

TJV,

I was in a similar situation a while back. At this time the D4 head wasn't on shelves yet and I couldn't wait. After speaking to Paula at Linhofstudio (this is the place where I got all my Techno gear from) I ordered the Linhof 3D head and never looked back.

Cheers, Udo

gazwas

Cube is not perfect either. But it is the closest tripod head out there for tech shooters. Smmoth, rigid, reliable and expensive. But buy it once and smile and pat yourself on the back for making such a smart purchase every single time you use it :)
Except if you have a Cube and the latest Series 5 Gitzo legs the pan mechanism doesn't lock as it gets obstructed by the new triangular top casting and you need to add some sort of spaceer between the head and mounting plate.

Not an ideal solution IMO.

etrump

My .02:

D4 is a fine head, but IMHO is Arca's answer for an economy Cube. It's both taller and less rigid, so the added height magnifies the lesser stability. On the upside, it is lighter in weight and cheaper.

Linhof. Great head, but the limited tilt movements drove me nuts, seemingly always occuring when I had no other way to get the shot. IIRC, it was heavier than my Cube by a fair amount and had knob access only on one side, not both as does the Cube. It may also have been even more rigid than my Cube -- if I shot view cameras larger than 5x7 where I rarely needed more than a few degrees of tilt, I would re-investigate it. But I'd probably still stick with the Cube for it's added flexibility.

Cube is not perfect either. But it is the closest tripod head to perfection out there for tech shooters. Period. Take that to the bank. Smooth, rigid, reliable (even in sand and wet) and yes, expensive. But buy it once and smile and pat yourself on the back for making such a smart purchase every single time you use it :)
The only thing I wish about the cube is that the bottom panning screw was geared like the manfrotto, once you get used to that it is a pain not to have it. That aside the difference you paid in money is soon forgotten while the compromise hangs on forever.

I use mine on my new RRS TV24L with the leveling adapter and everything fits nicely. A little on the heavy side but there again, better to have the functionality and performance you want than save a 1/2 pound.

The linhof adapter to shoot straight down kept me away from that. I don't shoot down often and having another gadget in my already full bag made me shy away from that head.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Except if you have a Cube and the latest Series 5 Gitzo legs the pan mechanism doesn't lock as it gets obstructed by the new triangular top casting and you need to add some sort of spaceer between the head and mounting plate.

Gareth

Can you please describe this issue a bit in more detail ?

I got my GT3542XLS a couple of days ago and use it with a CUBE .
I think I will design (and get it done) a special washer , laser cut aluminium , to lift the CUBE for about 1 to 1,5 mm .
There is no issue here , as the diameter of the mounting plate is 70mm for a series 3 GITZO but it is 75mm for a series 4 or 5 . That could interfere with the CUBE .
Is that the issue you are talking about ?
In any case , its not an issue with the tripod , but with the cube .

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Sounds like a Gitzo design problem, not Arca's, since that base-pan lever on the Cube clears any flat base the Cube sits on. It's very definitely NOT a problem on my older Gitzo 3 and 5 series pods with Systematic flat top plates...

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Sounds like a Gitzo design problem, not Arca's, since that base-pan lever on the Cube clears any flat base the Cube sits on...
Jack

On my CUBE , that base-pan lever clears the flat base , but very very little only . That is why I would like to raise the CUBE for 1 to 1,5 mm .

Don Libby

I had the fortune to have and use both the Cube and D4 extensively during our recent trip to Wyoming and Montana. Additionally, I got the D4M returned from Arca Swiss shortly after returning and while pleased, sold it shortly afterwards.

I've had the Cube several years and like my WRS have never harbored any thoughts of selling it. It's that good. The way I see it, the pros outweigh the cons. The biggest con (which might be the only one for me) is, it's heavy. The major pros are: easy to use, fast to set up, easy to use (yes I know I'm repeating myself), super fast to level which is part of the easy to use and setup.

The D4. I'll borrow some of Jacks thoughts here. The D4 is a fine head. Also agree that it appears to be Arca's solution to an economy Cube. What the D4 isn't is a ballhead. I've had discussions about this with people who have contacted me. If you want a ballhead then the D4 isn't it; likewise the Cube isn't one either. The D4 is lightweight and offers a less of a footprint than the Cube. I've also found it not to be as easy and fast to set up as the Cube however I've only had the D4 a much shorter period. That said, I used the D4 in many of the same situations I would normally use the Cube with great results. Think of the D4 as a cousin of the Cube.

D4M. I'll throw some thoughts in here about the D4M as I did have a chance to use it and compare it to the geared D4 and Cube. Actually I liked it. Not enough to keep it but that's only because I had the D4.

In short - the best head by far I've ever use/owned is the Cube. It's going to take a herculean effort by everyone to make a better head. The Cube works as advertized and works well with tech and non tech cameras. At least for me.

Regarding the D4 and D4M both are fine heads and unless Arca or someone else makes a better, smaller, lightweight Cube either one will work. I use the D4 on a lighter weight tripod for those times when I need to hike out a distance and just don't feel light carrying 10 pounds (plus) of tripod and head.

Don

gazwas

I was looking at heads to replace my Manfrotto 405 on my new (today) 5 series legs and found an article on a photographers blog describing how the bottom pan lever on the cube will not function on the new enlarged truangular 5 series top casting.

Stopped me in my tracks from purchasing a cube ad I don't fancy spacers etc.

Will try and find it again and post a link.

woodyspedden

My .02:

I bought a used Cube from Jack about three or four years ago (How time flies Jack!) The finish wasn't perfect but the mechanics were. I use nothing but the Cube unless I am shooting moving kids or sports.

The Cube works perfectly every time and mine is living proof that this is a once in a lifetime product so initial cost (IMHO) should not be the primary consideration

Woody

woodyspedden

Sounds like a Gitzo design problem, not Arca's, since that base-pan lever on the Cube clears any flat base the Cube sits on. It's very definitely NOT a problem on my older Gitzo 3 and 5 series pods with Systematic flat top plates...
+1. I have used my cube on both 3 and 5 series systematic pods with no problems whatsoever. I have no experience with the newer 5 series so can't comment here

Woody

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It already clears! Nor does it appear stuck in photo in the article. It is in its open or loose position, and turning it approximately 90 degrees up would tighten it. The only way it can get stuck is if somebody bent the base pan knob. Whoever wrote that article isn't telling the whole story or didn't understand how that lever works.

cly

If the head isn't permanently attached to the tripod, using a quick release clamp is very convenient: I have a simple RRS clamp right on the Gitzo and a round dovetail plate at the bottom of the Cube. (If I remember correctly, it was a posting by Graham Welland which made me go this way.) This way changing heads takes no time (I use a different head when I need unrestricted movements and don't have to level the camera precisely).

This would give enough clearance IF there is a problem - but I think Jack is right: I don't remember a problem when I had the Cube right on the Gitzo 5.

Chris

jotloob

Subscriber Member
See problem here in this article.

fauxtoreal | A Small Problem with the Gitzo GT5562GTS SYSTEMATIC Tripod and Arca-Swiss C1 Cube Geared Tripod Head | Page: 1

Only a problem on the newer, larger top casting of the latest Series 5 Systematic legs. Series 4 down are ok I think.
That article describes exactly what I meant in my previous posting .
It is no "issue" with the series 3 Systematic Gitzo's but is when using a series 4/5 Systematic Gitzo , because they have the same bigger tripod head diameter of 75mm .

It already clears! Nor does it appear stuck in photo in the article. It is in its open or loose position, and turning it approximately 90 degrees up would tighten it. The only way it can get stuck is if somebody bent the base pan knob. Whoever wrote that article isn't telling the whole story or didn't understand how that lever works.
Jack , yes there is clearence , but only very very little . No one was talking about that little lever being stuck , but more clearence would be nice for a more comfortable handling .
You will also see this lack of clearence , when you put the CUBE on any flat surface . A table for example .
So I think , the person who wrote that article knows exactly what he is talking about and the tripod heads show no problem . They are flat .
The CUBE needs to be "lifted" , not as much as that Manfrotto monster , but let's say about 5-10mm for use with the Series 4/5 tripods .

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Exactly - there's no sticking involved, just a limit to the rotation of 90 degrees. Everything works just fine even as shown.

You can guarantee that if Arca had added a mm to the height then someone would be bitching about the extra height ... :deadhorse:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
If you have the budget the cube is the only answer and requires little conversation.

If you do not have the budget there are many reasonable arguments that end with various very good heads.

But again, cost aside, the cube is the best. It's larger, which I suppose is a minor downside, but I generally measure things by post purchase satisfaction and I have yet to meet *anyone* who bought a cube for landscape/architecture/interiors and regretted it.

TJV,

I was in a similar situation a while back. At this time the D4 head wasn't on shelves yet and I couldn't wait. After speaking to Paula at Linhofstudio (this is the place where I got all my Techno gear from) I ordered the Linhof 3D head and never looked back.

Cheers, Udo
Haha this thread is a total flashback ... I recall I was also in the same situation as Udo. :) It's all coming back to me now.

The strong recommendation out there at the time was to get the Cube or D4, obtaining one was not only extremely difficult but very uncertain. Paula had the 3d in stock, plus resolved a few questions directly with Linhof for me.

There was some concern at the time about the plate clamp not locking, it was pointed out to me that it has been designed with a very long throw and probably more secure than a lock and short throw lever. Obviously it works very well in practice.