The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad 120 Macro i and ii

Hey Guys,
was just wondering what the differences were between the two models, My dealer is saying the mark 1 isn't good for food photography, I dont see how an issue could only affect one type of photography... Ill be using the lens for a lot of Macro Nature stuff and Landscapes, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Will.

Stan ROX

Hey Guys,
was just wondering what the differences were between the two models, My dealer is saying the mark 1 isn't good for food photography, I dont see how an issue could only affect one type of photography... Ill be using the lens for a lot of Macro Nature stuff and Landscapes, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Will.
Looks like your dealer has a funny sense of humour.

I have the 120 Mk I and had a lot of very pleasing results - either in macro or as a portrait lens, where it excels also:

This casual beauty is shot with the 120 Mk I.

I never used it as a landscape lens, but I agree with you that I also can not imagine a construction (besides a beautiful bokeh for portraits) where a single area of photography is affected.

It IS a bit slow, but hey - it's a macro lens. Maybe the Mk II is a little bit faster. Or not.

Btw. also on a H4D-40

proenca

The only problem I see it *might* be complaining about, is landscape photography - usually Macro lenses arent very good at inifinity, therefore lanscape.

120mm Macro for V cameras was, by some, not considered to be up there in terms of inifinty focusing, therefore fall a bit short when doing landscapes with it. But then again, there are conflicting opinions on that one - know a couple of photographers that use that lens all the time to compress landscape and never complained about it.

HC lens is another story - II is improved but never heard anyone complaining about it for landscape or moaning about infinity focusing not being sharp.

I suspect that your dealer is close friend with the Phase One dealer in Portugal, whom I told that I bought a Leica S2 and wasn't interested anymore in Phase, said:

"too bad, all the real photographers use Phase One or Leaf, S2 isnt up there for commercial work ( while trying to sell me a Aptus 22 ) but since I was using it as a hobyy I would problably be ok."

Same batch of dealers I guess :)

RVB

This was taken last year with a 120 macro mk2,it's extremely sharp and clean of CA's..

gazwas

The 120mm MkI might not be very good for food photography due to the colour shift in out of focus specular highlights you sometimes get. Not sure if its just food photography but you defiantly could get this issue a lot with glossy food shots.

This issue was one of the things addressed in the MkII version if you read the release notes. I experienced highlights go magenta when I tested the lens.

I'm sure many users have never and will never see this issue but it is there all the same .

fotografz

Where does one find these release notes? I have a buyer for my v-1 and will upgrade if there is an appreciable difference ... especially with a Multi-Shot which I'm currently considering.

Thanks,

-Marc

Thanks for all the replies! yeah after researching I think its just the Chromatic Abberations with the mki that is the problem, Have ordered a mkii version should be here next week :) my dealer wouldn't push me away from Hasselblad he is the only dealer in my state, he was just saying the mki had some bad points!

Cheers
Will.

fotografz

Hi Marc,

this was mentioned in the 2010 press release note from Hasselblad, see
http://press.hasselblad.com/media/1135/2010-09-22_pr_h4d-firmware-lenses_en.pdf

Regards,
Ralf
Thanks for that Ralf.

The HC50-II was an obvious improvement especially with the rear focusing group improving closer focusing. The new 50 has almost no CA and one of the sharpest lenses in the system now. In addition to use on the H4D/60, I use it on the S2 a lot with and without high speed sync, and have been amazed just how good it is. :thumbs:

If the 120-II is anything close, it'll be worth the upgrade ... however, the v1 is pretty good ... V2 may not be quite the leap forward that the 50-II was, but still worth it when using the 60 or a multi-shot ... or if shooting stuff that produced the OOF tints.

-Marc

rmueller

I have both the 50 II and 120 II, they are stellar. Can't tell the difference to the 120 V1 though since i never owned that one. If someone with the V1 knows an easy way to stimulate CA with that lens and send me the setup details, i could try reproducing with the V2 and we can compare the results.
Not sure this qualifies for a valid test though.

Best Regards,
Ralf

gazwas

If the 120-II is anything close, it'll be worth the upgrade ... however, the v1 is pretty good ... V2 may not be quite the leap forward that the 50-II was, but still worth it when using the 60 or a multi-shot ... or if shooting stuff that produced the OOF tints.
Marc, as far as I understand, the MkII offers little if any improvement in regards to sharpness etc and was more to address colour aberrations at close focusing distance. Considering this is a macro lens and aberrations get worse the closer you focus the update was needed.

The weird colours in highlights is only under very particular lighting conditions and if you never even realised there was such a problem with your lens you've obviously never it experienced and never will. When it does happen it is quite obvious. For that reason along I see no reason for you to upgrade.

gazwas

If someone with the V1 knows an easy way to stimulate CA with that lens and send me the setup details, i could try reproducing with the V2 and we can compare the results.
Use anything metallic and silver (to easy see colour change) and light it with some hard lights to get specular highlights (rather than soft lighting).

A metallic watch bracelet might work?

Shoot along the bracelet and focus at one end allowing a gradual drop off in focus. Highlights in the OOF part of the watch can change colour (magenta/green).

Not sure it is of any use though unless you can shoot a MkI and replicate the issue then ideally just swap to the lens to the MkII to see if has solves it.

rmueller

Thanks Gareth, will give it a try next time. In case i can reproduce with the V2 i will share the result here.

Have a good weekend,
Ralf