The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Can USB support in MF be considered vaporware yet?

JonMo

Unless I missed the announcement, the advertised usb port on Phase and Leaf backs still do not work.

While I understand that the only people who care are the 3 or 4 of us on the planet who prefer PC workstation laptops to Macs ( I know, the first step is to admit we have a problem. :) ); was this not attached to the existing product?

The only reason it came to mind is the soon to be released Microsoft Surface Pro. With an i5 processor in a tablet type body, touchscreen with pen and at a price point around $900.00; it seems made to order for remote tethered work.

However; the only interface available on the form factor is........wait for it...................... USB 3.0.

I say to myself; "whats the big deal? the new back have a usb port strapped to them! suck it up and get that nice Credo 60!"

The question; is USB support on the new backs Vaporware? The port has now been there for years (thats right, plural.)

As my father would inelegantly put it; "just sh*t or get off the pot!"

Am I forlornly pining for that tantalizing opening on the new backs to do more than hold a memory stick so it is easily at accessible? Should a rubber cover simply be permanently adhered to it for protection? Could we create and adapter that would allow us to attach a safety strap that could prevent and accidental drop when rotating the back for a format change on my Cambo?

Am I the only one one wondering?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
There is absolutely, positively, no Firewire to USB convertor that deals with data from a firewire source and converts it to USB.

PLEASE trust me on this; I am absolutely sure of it. This topic comes up every once in a while in the forums and it takes a while to explain in complete detail. There are some items out there with a Firewire plug on one end and a USB stick on another but none of them are applicable to this. You cannot use a Firewire HD or Firewire digital back to a computer's USB port.

JonMo

Respectfully Richard,

there is no usb to firewire adapter for tethering available.

You can covert your firewire TO usb.
You can use an express card slot to add firewire. If you have a slot.
The adapters for firewire video to usb (like Pinnacle.) do not add a port, just allow video.

At $150.00 I would have already purchased one. :)

Doug, I think your reply was a cut and paste from some other thread a year ago regarding the same subject. :)

I understand that you would like it working as much as I do so people like me would stop harping on the subject, but..............

there is somewhat late, also know as "fashionably"
there is very late, also known as "better late than never"
and then there is; "where did everyone go?"

We now have the Mac people using Thunder, and a so so adapter for firewire, bypassing usb. To put it bluntly; the damn port is there, turn it on or admit it was a mistake.

At least with that kind of finality someone can kick-starter the locking usb to wrist strap idea and make the hole useful.

( please understand a fair bit of tongue in cheek to help blunt some frustration. )

richardman

OK!

Well, embedded system is actually what I do for $dayjob. Are you guys saying that there's a market for a properly working firework to USB adapter? :) What are the requirements?

Or is it a diminishing market?

JonMo

To hell with the diminishing market.........
I want one!!!!!!! Me!!!!!!!!!

All kidding aside, there are allot of digital back out there that are firewire only.
For example, I also own a Leaf65s.

But how many of those people want to use a computer product with no possible way to add a firewire port? I don't think it is huge.

But for myself; an adapter that would allow power injection and connect at usb 3.0? Absolutely!

Dan Santoso

Will Microsoft Surface Pro be able to run Capture One 7? How long do you think battery will last? How many capture?

I am selling my IPAD 2 :)

archivue

"But for myself; an adapter that would allow power injection and connect at usb 3.0? Absolutely!"

you can use a powered FW repeater with a quantum battery... and a FW to Thunderbolt adapter...

But no USB !

JonMo

Hey Dan,
the new surface PRO is based on an i5 Intel processor. I would think it could handle capture one just fine. Storage might be an issue!

Hi David,
I currently use a power injection cable with battery and/or conditioned power source from fire wire 800 to 400 so I can attach to my W510 work station. So I am not without options. :)

It's just frustrating that USB appears to be the ugly step sister.

When the IQ series was first announced with fire wire and usb I was almost giddy.

Two years later; I wait by the phone hoping for a call for that all important first date.

Ok....... I really am pathetic.