The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad H5D

stngoldberg

I was at a demonstration given by Eric Paterson of Hasselblad of the new H5D this afternoon. Among the many improvements on the new model. I was most pleased to see a port on the back that will accommodate a battery to facilitate the back having its own independent power supply.This is a feature that I have been looking forward to when I use my back with my technical camera (Arca Swiss rm3di).
There were several other improvements demonstrated that for some reason have not been heralded by Hasselblad that make the camera much more ergonomic and user friendly, but since I am not a dealer, that information is best released by others.
Stanley

Last edited:

Steve Hendrix

I was at a demonstration given by Eric Peterson of Hasselblad of the new H5D this afternoon. Among the many improvements on the new model. I was most pleased to see a port on the back that will accommodate a battery to facilitate the back having its own independent power supply.This is a feature that I have been looking forward to when I use my back with my technical camera (Arca Swiss rm3di).
There were several other improvements demonstrated that for some reason have not been heralded by Hasselblad that make the camera much more ergonomic and user friendly, but since I am not a dealer, that information is best released by others.
Stanley

Many saw the H5D announcement as a yawner, with no real "killer app" type of added feature. However, I agree with you Stanley, there are numerous modest, but important improvements that add up to a wholly better experience with the camera.

*True Focus II
- Adds knowledge of and compensation for lens curvature

*In-Camera JPG
- Provides 10MP/12MP/15MP JPG for H4D-40/50/60 In-Camera

*New Buttons & Top LED Display
- Improved ergonomically and better weather sealing

*Enhanced Style & Look
- I like, kind of like comparing an early titanium version MBP to the current Retina model

*Immediate Focus Confirmation
- Access 100% zoom without having to interface with the rear LCD

*New Battery Grip
- 3mm Longer, roughly same power output on H5D, provides 50% more power on previous models

*New reinforced CF Card Door
- Feels much more secure

*New secure locking firewire port
- Reinforced, more secure, less stress on connector

*New GUI for LCD & LED Interfaces
- Also includes further control of LCD from the LED interface

*Dedicated Profiles Button
- Can upload and share custom user worksets from camera to camera

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

tjv

Is the clip on battery pack actually ready to go or is it a work in progress type of thing?

stngoldberg

Is the clip on battery pack actually ready to go or is it a work in progress type of thing?
I was told it is ready to go, but again I am a customer not a dealer
If it is ready to go, I will upgrade in January when the H5D50 is supposedly available. You really have to hold this baby in your hands to appreciate the improved ergonomics.
Stanley

Swissblad

That is actually quite an extensive list of improvements.
I guess most of this was drowned out by the awful Lunar release... pity.

tjv

Any feedback on the new interface compared to the IQ? Any plusses or minuses?
I've demoed a Phase DF (non +) several times and just can't stand the body. For my hands, which are quite small, I prefer the Hasselblad. Having said that, I'm more interested in buying a back for use on a Tech camera, with occasional SLR use.

gazwas

The add on battery for the H4D-60 was ready to got but HB never delivered and was the main reason why I was swayed over to P1. I wouldn't part with any money based on coming soon features - Will we ever see USB3 on the IQ backs.....?

fotografz

"Coming Soon" is not to be trusted, nor used as part of a purchase decision. I suggest not buying until the full product is a reality.

I partly made the decision to get a H4D/60 because of the strong promise of a clip-on battery ... thus giving me the option to use the back untethered on a field camera. The battery hardware port is on the H4D/60, but no battery was ever offered ... just excuses and delays, until now there is a new camera ... also promising said battery. :wtf:

What was really unfortunate was with the H4D/60, they disabled the use of my Image Bank-II as a capture devise ... I can power the back with it on a tech camera, but no longer can shoot images to it ... making it the most un-elegant and expensive battery solution on the planet. When I asked why they disabled it, I was told it was because it was in anticipation that H4D/60 could take its own battery ... which of course doesn't exist :loco:

-Marc

BTW, previously I frequently used the Image Bank-II for cold weather and longer shoots by slipping it into a pocket (it is quite small), and running the thin FW-800 cord down my jacket sleeve. Having the battery powering the back relieved the grip battery from powering the back so all it had to do is power the camera, and it lasted much much longer. The IB-II also allows redundant capture by transferring CF images to it up to 100 gig.

malmac

"Coming Soon" is not to be trusted, nor used as part of a purchase decision.
Marc, I agree totally. Where is that new 645DF camera that was just around the corner when we bought the IQ180? I hope no one has the gall to suggest the 645DF+ is the promised body.

mmmmm, I still don't know what I don't know - except I have much less faith in sales pitch.

Mal

RVB

Marc, I agree totally. Where is that new 645DF camera that was just around the corner when we bought the IQ180? I hope no one has the gall to suggest the 645DF+ is the promised body.

mmmmm, I still don't know what I don't know - except I have much less faith in sales pitch.

Mal
Leica's leaf shutters for the S comes to mind...

fotografz

Leica's leaf shutters for the S comes to mind...
Yep, they are only years late ... and I never got to use one on the S2 I bought in anticipation of high speed sync ... now there is a new S camera coming and I still can't get a Leica CS lens.

Fortunately, I did get the H to S adapter and finally have been able to use the CS shutter mode on the S2 that I paid for over two years ago.

:wtf::wtf::wtf:

-Marc

RVB

... and I never got to use one on the S2 I bought in anticipation of high speed sync ...

-Marc[/QUOTE]

Marc,I was just thinking the very same thing,I sold my S2 in the end and plan to grab a H5d-60 instead..

Robert

robmac

Sounds like a nice (so to speak) brand-agnostic thread topic - "MF promises (pick your syntax) made but yet kept".

The sad reality is of course that once/if you ever see a given "I thought it was vapourware" feature realized, it then will have lengthy user de-bugging/Beta testing. "My xxxx keeps dropping the tethered connection when using ___ " , "The new firmware to enable ___ is acting odd", etc.

PeterA

Hasselblad has copped a bucket load of nasty following their rebadged and already obsolete looney toons camera 'idea' - instead of delivering a digital XPan :mad:

The reality is that they have also announced a new camera body some new lenses and gadgets and once again underlined the fact that the H system is the best all round complete and well thought 'system' a person can buy into.

I note also a very very fair upgrade policy from H4D to 5D on a transparent like for like basis.

Kudos Hasselblad I reckon.

jduncan

I was at a demonstration given by Eric Paterson of Hasselblad of the new H5D this afternoon. Among the many improvements on the new model. I was most pleased to see a port on the back that will accommodate a battery to facilitate the back having its own independent power supply.This is a feature that I have been looking forward to when I use my back with my technical camera (Arca Swiss rm3di).
Stanley
Hi,

Thanks for sharing.

I have a couple of questions:
* Does the camera have any other interface besides firewire?,
* Does it feels more responsive?

all seems to point that firewire is going out.
Apple have almost abandon it *the new mac mini has a port but the new iMACs don't) it and PCs never really embrace it. I also was wondering about the impact of the new chip set on the overall experience with the camera.

Best regards,

James

stngoldberg

Hi,

Thanks for sharing.

I have a couple of questions:
* Does the camera have any other interface besides firewire?,
* Does it feels more responsive?

all seems to point that firewire is going out.
Apple have almost abandon it *the new mac mini has a port but the new iMACs don't) it and PCs never really embrace it. I also was wondering about the impact of the new chip set on the overall experience with the camera.

Best regards,

James
Firewire is the only interface.
Yes the camera does feel more responsive-so many additional ways to check focus and see the aperture and shutter and iso data.
The camera I saw was loaded with beta firmware; so I didn't get to use all that is coming.
Stanley

jduncan

Firewire is the only interface.
Yes the camera does feel more responsive-so many additional ways to check focus and see the aperture and shutter and iso data.
The camera I saw was loaded with beta firmware; so I didn't get to use all that is coming.
Stanley

Thanks, I don't understand the firewire only decision (besides trying to invest the less) I don't believe adding USB3 port will change that much the profit equations.

But it's what it is. Will anyone be selling firewire equipped computers in 3 or 4 years?
I believe the answer will be no.

Tethering is one of the key strengths of medium format.

Maybe they are betting on wireless.

Hasselblad before this acquisition (the jury is still out) was first with some very interesting technologies.
The had a very strong native wireless support before almost any one (now Nikon have the WT-5 and Canon 6D is wireless native). The build true focus, power adapters, Lens calibration and digital corrections,
that now are standard on the 35mm DSLR world.

This is amazing stuff. This was good moment to add thunderbolt and exploit massive transfer speed, or USB3 with the added bonus of the ultra-books.

Best regards,
james

stngoldberg

The battery adapter does exist.It is listed on the Hasselblad website for sale as part # 3053310 Battery adapter.
My dealer, Peter Lorber, tells me that he spoke to Hasselblad and he can order this part with the H5D50
Stanley

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Hasselblad before this acquisition (the jury is still out) was first with some very interesting technologies.
The had a very strong native wireless support before almost any one (now Nikon have the WT-5 and Canon 6D is wireless native). The build true focus, power adapters, Lens calibration and digital corrections,
that now are standard on the 35mm DSLR world.
What wireless functionality are you referring to? The Phocus Mobile app (similar to Leaf's iPhone app and Capture Pilot)?

This is different than "wireless native" as many readers would interpret that phrase, especially when comparing to the WT-5, which transmits the file direct from camera to computer rather than from the computer to iOS device.

This is not a negative. Personally I greatly prefer this computer-to-iOS method used by Hassy/Phase/Leaf as it creates a more cohesive workflow (e.g. only one copy of the file, and the ability to rate directly) and it's faster in many ways.