Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hasselblad H5D

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hasselblad H5D

I was at a demonstration given by Eric Paterson of Hasselblad of the new H5D this afternoon. Among the many improvements on the new model. I was most pleased to see a port on the back that will accommodate a battery to facilitate the back having its own independent power supply.This is a feature that I have been looking forward to when I use my back with my technical camera (Arca Swiss rm3di).
    There were several other improvements demonstrated that for some reason have not been heralded by Hasselblad that make the camera much more ergonomic and user friendly, but since I am not a dealer, that information is best released by others.
    Stanley
    Last edited by stngoldberg; 6th December 2012 at 04:30. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Hasselblad H5D

Quote Originally Posted by stngoldberg View Post
    I was at a demonstration given by Eric Peterson of Hasselblad of the new H5D this afternoon. Among the many improvements on the new model. I was most pleased to see a port on the back that will accommodate a battery to facilitate the back having its own independent power supply.This is a feature that I have been looking forward to when I use my back with my technical camera (Arca Swiss rm3di).
    There were several other improvements demonstrated that for some reason have not been heralded by Hasselblad that make the camera much more ergonomic and user friendly, but since I am not a dealer, that information is best released by others.
    Stanley

Many saw the H5D announcement as a yawner, with no real "killer app" type of added feature. However, I agree with you Stanley, there are numerous modest, but important improvements that add up to a wholly better experience with the camera.

*True Focus II
    - Adds knowledge of and compensation for lens curvature

*In-Camera JPG
    - Provides 10MP/12MP/15MP JPG for H4D-40/50/60 In-Camera

*New Buttons & Top LED Display
    - Improved ergonomically and better weather sealing

*Enhanced Style & Look
    - I like, kind of like comparing an early titanium version MBP to the current Retina model

*Immediate Focus Confirmation
    - Access 100% zoom without having to interface with the rear LCD

*New Battery Grip
    - 3mm Longer, roughly same power output on H5D, provides 50% more power on previous models

*New reinforced CF Card Door
    - Feels much more secure

*New secure locking firewire port
    - Reinforced, more secure, less stress on connector

*New GUI for LCD & LED Interfaces
    - Also includes further control of LCD from the LED interface

*Dedicated Profiles Button
    - Can upload and share custom user worksets from camera to camera

Steve Hendrix
    Capture Integration
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar Authorized Reseller

Post Thanks / Like

Is the clip on battery pack actually ready to go or is it a work in progress type of thing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    Is the clip on battery pack actually ready to go or is it a work in progress type of thing?
    I was told it is ready to go, but again I am a customer not a dealer
    If it is ready to go, I will upgrade in January when the H5D50 is supposedly available. You really have to hold this baby in your hands to appreciate the improved ergonomics.
    Stanley

Post Thanks / Like

That is actually quite an extensive list of improvements.
    I guess most of this was drowned out by the awful Lunar release... pity.

Post Thanks / Like

Any feedback on the new interface compared to the IQ? Any plusses or minuses?
    I've demoed a Phase DF (non +) several times and just can't stand the body. For my hands, which are quite small, I prefer the Hasselblad. Having said that, I'm more interested in buying a back for use on a Tech camera, with occasional SLR use.

Post Thanks / Like

The add on battery for the H4D-60 was ready to got but HB never delivered and was the main reason why I was swayed over to P1. I wouldn't part with any money based on coming soon features - Will we ever see USB3 on the IQ backs.....?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"Coming Soon" is not to be trusted, nor used as part of a purchase decision. I suggest not buying until the full product is a reality.

I partly made the decision to get a H4D/60 because of the strong promise of a clip-on battery ... thus giving me the option to use the back untethered on a field camera. The battery hardware port is on the H4D/60, but no battery was ever offered ... just excuses and delays, until now there is a new camera ... also promising said battery.

What was really unfortunate was with the H4D/60, they disabled the use of my Image Bank-II as a capture devise ... I can power the back with it on a tech camera, but no longer can shoot images to it ... making it the most un-elegant and expensive battery solution on the planet. When I asked why they disabled it, I was told it was because it was in anticipation that H4D/60 could take its own battery ... which of course doesn't exist

-Marc

BTW, previously I frequently used the Image Bank-II for cold weather and longer shoots by slipping it into a pocket (it is quite small), and running the thin FW-800 cord down my jacket sleeve. Having the battery powering the back relieved the grip battery from powering the back so all it had to do is power the camera, and it lasted much much longer. The IB-II also allows redundant capture by transferring CF images to it up to 100 gig.

Post Thanks / Like

"Coming Soon" is not to be trusted, nor used as part of a purchase decision.
    Marc, I agree totally. Where is that new 645DF camera that was just around the corner when we bought the IQ180? I hope no one has the gall to suggest the 645DF+ is the promised body.

mmmmm, I still don't know what I don't know - except I have much less faith in sales pitch.

Mal
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by malmac View Post
    Marc, I agree totally. Where is that new 645DF camera that was just around the corner when we bought the IQ180? I hope no one has the gall to suggest the 645DF+ is the promised body.

mmmmm, I still don't know what I don't know - except I have much less faith in sales pitch.

Mal
    Leica's leaf shutters for the S comes to mind...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RVB View Post
    Leica's leaf shutters for the S comes to mind...
    Yep, they are only years late ... and I never got to use one on the S2 I bought in anticipation of high speed sync ... now there is a new S camera coming and I still can't get a Leica CS lens.

Fortunately, I did get the H to S adapter and finally have been able to use the CS shutter mode on the S2 that I paid for over two years ago.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

... and I never got to use one on the S2 I bought in anticipation of high speed sync ...

-Marc[/QUOTE]

Marc,I was just thinking the very same thing,I sold my S2 in the end and plan to grab a H5d-60 instead..

Robert

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a nice (so to speak) brand-agnostic thread topic - "MF promises (pick your syntax) made but yet kept".

The sad reality is of course that once/if you ever see a given "I thought it was vapourware" feature realized, it then will have lengthy user de-bugging/Beta testing. "My xxxx keeps dropping the tethered connection when using ___ " , "The new firmware to enable ___ is acting odd", etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hasselblad has copped a bucket load of nasty following their rebadged and already obsolete looney toons camera 'idea' - instead of delivering a digital XPan

The reality is that they have also announced a new camera body some new lenses and gadgets and once again underlined the fact that the H system is the best all round complete and well thought 'system' a person can buy into.

I note also a very very fair upgrade policy from H4D to 5D on a transparent like for like basis.

Kudos Hasselblad I reckon.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I was at a demonstration given by Eric Paterson of Hasselblad of the new H5D this afternoon. Among the many improvements on the new model. I was most pleased to see a port on the back that will accommodate a battery to facilitate the back having its own independent power supply.This is a feature that I have been looking forward to when I use my back with my technical camera (Arca Swiss rm3di).
    Stanley
    Hi,

Thanks for sharing.

I have a couple of questions:
    * Does the camera have any other interface besides firewire?,
    * Does it feels more responsive?

all seems to point that firewire is going out.
    Apple have almost abandon it *the new mac mini has a port but the new iMACs don't) it and PCs never really embrace it. I also was wondering about the impact of the new chip set on the overall experience with the camera.

Best regards,

James

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jduncan View Post
    Hi,

Thanks for sharing.

I have a couple of questions:
    * Does the camera have any other interface besides firewire?,
    * Does it feels more responsive?

all seems to point that firewire is going out.
    Apple have almost abandon it *the new mac mini has a port but the new iMACs don't) it and PCs never really embrace it. I also was wondering about the impact of the new chip set on the overall experience with the camera.

Best regards,

James
    Firewire is the only interface.
    Yes the camera does feel more responsive-so many additional ways to check focus and see the aperture and shutter and iso data.
    The camera I saw was loaded with beta firmware; so I didn't get to use all that is coming.
    Stanley

Post Thanks / Like

Firewire is the only interface.
    Yes the camera does feel more responsive-so many additional ways to check focus and see the aperture and shutter and iso data.
    The camera I saw was loaded with beta firmware; so I didn't get to use all that is coming.
    Stanley

Thanks, I don't understand the firewire only decision (besides trying to invest the less) I don't believe adding USB3 port will change that much the profit equations.

But it's what it is. Will anyone be selling firewire equipped computers in 3 or 4 years?
    I believe the answer will be no.

Tethering is one of the key strengths of medium format.

Maybe they are betting on wireless.

Hasselblad before this acquisition (the jury is still out) was first with some very interesting technologies.
    The had a very strong native wireless support before almost any one (now Nikon have the WT-5 and Canon 6D is wireless native). The build true focus, power adapters, Lens calibration and digital corrections,
    that now are standard on the 35mm DSLR world.

This is amazing stuff. This was good moment to add thunderbolt and exploit massive transfer speed, or USB3 with the added bonus of the ultra-books.

Best regards,
    james

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

it's nice to see Hasselblad compete with 35mmDSLR!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The battery adapter does exist.It is listed on the Hasselblad website for sale as part # 3053310 Battery adapter.
    My dealer, Peter Lorber, tells me that he spoke to Hasselblad and he can order this part with the H5D50
    Stanley

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jduncan View Post
    Hasselblad before this acquisition (the jury is still out) was first with some very interesting technologies.
    The had a very strong native wireless support before almost any one (now Nikon have the WT-5 and Canon 6D is wireless native). The build true focus, power adapters, Lens calibration and digital corrections,
    that now are standard on the 35mm DSLR world.
    What wireless functionality are you referring to? The Phocus Mobile app (similar to Leaf's iPhone app and Capture Pilot)?

This is different than "wireless native" as many readers would interpret that phrase, especially when comparing to the WT-5, which transmits the file direct from camera to computer rather than from the computer to iOS device.

This is not a negative. Personally I greatly prefer this computer-to-iOS method used by Hassy/Phase/Leaf as it creates a more cohesive workflow (e.g. only one copy of the file, and the ability to rate directly) and it's faster in many ways.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here it is ready to attach to H5D back to run independently-no more image bank.

stanley

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Hasselblad has copped a bucket load of nasty following their rebadged and already obsolete looney toons camera 'idea' - instead of delivering a digital XPan

The reality is that they have also announced a new camera body some new lenses and gadgets and once again underlined the fact that the H system is the best all round complete and well thought 'system' a person can buy into.

I note also a very very fair upgrade policy from H4D to 5D on a transparent like for like basis.

Kudos Hasselblad I reckon.
    Are you kidding?? The upgrade is only when you buy a H4D now, you get the right to buy a H5D when it comes out and pay the price difference. big deal if they cannot deliver the H5D yet.

No such deal for current H4D owners. upgrade pricing for a H4D60 towards a H5D60 is in the 13K euro range excluding taxes. Upgrading a 39MP Back is appr. 20K. 2 Years ago I upgraded a 39MP back for 13K towards a H4D60, now a similar upgrade costs 20K? talk about inflation....

The battery clip for my H4D60 where is it??????

I have today told my dealer I am not upgrading at this point against these conditions.

I rather spend my money on a B4, maybe even 2 and treat myself to some nice modifiers too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dustbak View Post
    Are you kidding?? The upgrade is only when you buy a H4D now, you get the right to buy a H5D when it comes out and pay the price difference. big deal if they cannot deliver the H5D yet.

No such deal for current H4D owners. upgrade pricing for a H4D60 towards a H5D60 is in the 13K euro range excluding taxes. Upgrading a 39MP Back is appr. 20K. 2 Years ago I upgraded a 39MP back for 13K towards a H4D60, now a similar upgrade costs 20K? talk about inflation....

The battery clip for my H4D60 where is it??????

I have today told my dealer I am not upgrading at this point against these conditions.

I rather spend my money on a B4, maybe even 2 and treat myself to some nice modifiers too.
    I thought the upgrade also applied to existing owners of 4D - seems silly if not the case.

I won't comment on cost of upgrade versus this versus that - I stopped playing that game when I sold out of all my Hasselblad system - pretty much every lens and every accessory etc a couple of years ago. Do I regret doing so? I think I gave my lenses away and this I regret.

Good luck with it all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am not the Hasselblad salesman here, but it is my understanding that Hasselblad has extended the upgrade to all H4D owners. That is what I think I was told by my dealer
    Stanley

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am not the Hasselblad salesman here, but it is my understanding that Hasselblad has extended the upgrade to all H4D owners. That is what I think I was told by my dealer
    Stanley
    The "Upgrade Price" is IF you buy a NEW H4D now ... it gets you a camera to use, then for the retail price difference, a new one when the H5 version is available.

This is not to be confused with the "Trade In" pricing.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    The "Upgrade Price" is IF you buy a NEW H4D now ... it gets you a camera to use, then for the retail price difference, a new one when the H5 version is available.

This is not to be confused with the "Trade In" pricing.

-Marc
    Marc's verbiage may be correct, but the bottom line is Hasselblad will take my H4D50 in trade for a H5D50 plus a reasonable amount of cash. That is all I could ask from a camera manufacturer
    Stanley

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    What wireless functionality are you referring to? The Phocus Mobile app (similar to Leaf's iPhone app and Capture Pilot)?

This is different than "wireless native" as many readers would interpret that phrase, especially when comparing to the WT-5, which transmits the file direct from camera to computer rather than from the computer to iOS device.

This is not a negative. Personally I greatly prefer this computer-to-iOS method used by Hassy/Phase/Leaf as it creates a more cohesive workflow (e.g. only one copy of the file, and the ability to rate directly) and it's faster in many ways.

Hi,

You miss read me. Clearly the one that is wireless native is the 6D Just as I say and is Nikon the one that have the WT-5. Hasselblad was ahead in some aspects now Canon and Nikon have fully wireless solutions that are pretty strong and superior on some aspects.

What I was illustrating is that by focusing on a limited market medium format can be competitive and even be ahead for periods of time on key aspects.

I am not partisan, I am not trying to promote a brand. I found the partisan approach sometimes funny and some times annoying.

About PhaseOne and Leaf: The title of this tread is H5D, so I illustrated the point (medium format can be competitive) with Hasselblad examples.

Best regards,
    James

Post Thanks / Like

Here it is ready to attach to H5D back to run independently-no more image bank.
    Oh that's a relief, the battery does exist, works as it should and the camera has firmware to support it because you've found a picture in a Hasselblad brochure.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    Oh that's a relief, the battery does exist, works as it should and the camera has firmware to support it because you've found a picture in a Hasselblad brochure.
    UK price is 324 pounds but there is no delivery date yet..

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc's verbiage may be correct, but the bottom line is Hasselblad will take my H4D50 in trade for a H5D50 plus a reasonable amount of cash. That is all I could ask from a camera manufacturer
    Stanley
    This depends on what one deems "reasonable".

One man's "reasonable" is another man's "bankruptcy".

If you bought a new H4D with-in the "Trade Up" Promo time frame, (from October 10, thru Dec 31, 2012) then the price is based on the retail difference to get a H5D version available from Jan 1 to June 30, 2013. Hasselblad has line listed those "Trade UP" prices on their website:

H4D TO H5D Trade Up Promotion

These I would deem as quite reasonable depending on how long of a gap there is between getting a H4D and using it, then upgrading to a totally new camera/back. The H4D/40 to H5D/40 is only $1,000, and the H4D/50 to H5D/50 is $4,000. So one could conceivably use the H4D for 6+ months, then for only $1,000 or $4,000 start over with a new H5D.

The "Trade In" pricing is a different spread sheet ... how reasonable it is depends on how long you've had your current camera, which model it is, and where you may want to move to.

http://www.hasselblad.com/media/3516...ein_101112.pdf

"Trading In" a H4D/50 to a H5D/50 is listed at $14,400 less any deal you can wrangle from a dealer. To some studio production shooter with 150,000 shots on his H4D/50 this may be reasonable, to an enthusiasts with 5,000 exposures, it may not.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

This depends on what one deems "reasonable".

One man's "reasonable" is another man's "bankruptcy".

If you bought a new H4D with-in the "Trade Up" Promo time frame, (from October 10, thru Dec 31, 2012) then the price is based on the retail difference to get a H5D version available from Jan 1 to June 30, 2013. Hasselblad has line listed those "Trade UP" prices on their website:

H4D TO H5D Trade Up Promotion

These I would deem as quite reasonable depending on how long of a gap there is between getting a H4D and using it, then upgrading to a totally new camera/back. The H4D/40 to H5D/40 is only $1,000, and the H4D/50 to H5D/50 is $4,000. So one could conceivably use the H4D for 6+ months, then for only $1,000 or $4,000 start over with a new H5D.

The "Trade In" pricing is a different spread sheet ... how reasonable it is depends on how long you've had your current camera, which model it is, and where you may want to move to.

http://www.hasselblad.com/media/3516...ein_101112.pdf

"Trading In" a H4D/50 to a H5D/50 is listed at $14,400 less any deal you can wrangle from a dealer. To some studio production shooter with 150,000 shots on his H4D/50 this may be reasonable, to an enthusiasts with 5,000 exposures, it may not.

- Marc
    It may be not possible for everyone but picking up a h3d-39 at a cheap price is a good idea for the trade in program.It's only 3K less than using a H4D-50 which is worth a fair bit more than a H3D-39 when buying the H5D-60 and 2K less when used against the H5D-50

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It may be not possible for everyone but picking up a h3d-39 at a cheap price is a good idea for the trade in program.It's only 3K less than using a H4D-50 which is worth a fair bit more than a H3D-39 when buying the H5D-60 and 2K less when used against the H5D-50
    Yeah, some of the trade in pricing does favor those that skipped a few upgrades.

Calculating the possibilities gives me a headache.

Because I also use an S2 which has taken over many applications, my H4D/60 has been mostly used in studio and has a very low number of exposures logged. Shooting tethered in studio is more deliberate and methodical, where one may spend hours setting up, and only fire off a dozen shots in the course of a day.

It has crossed my mind to make a deal with a H3D/H3D-II owner to swap + cash to get them my coddled and babied H4D/60, and use their camera as the trade in toward a new H5D.

OOps! Now I have another headache coming on.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

"It has crossed my mind to make a deal with a H3D/H3D-II owner to swap + cash to get them my coddled and babied H4D/60, and use their camera as the trade in toward a new H5D.

OOps! Now I have another headache coming on. "

Sounds like the smart move Marc..

And if a headache could ever be considered enjoyable it has to be a Medium format induced headache. ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Does the above attached PDF that shows the battery pack also work with the older H4D-60? Is this the pack they promised many moons ago on the H4D release or a totally different product?

Post Thanks / Like

Does the above attached PDF that shows the battery pack also work with the older H4D-60? Is this the pack they promised many moons ago on the H4D release or a totally different product?
    I imagine it is the very same pack they developed for the H4 but I wouldn't bank on it working on anything other than the H5. The cynic in me says the only reason why it was never released on the H4 is because the new H5 was coming and this is a new feature of the new camera and a reason for H4 users to upgrade.

Post Thanks / Like

The H4D/40 to H5D/40 is only $1,000, and the H4D/50 to H5D/50 is $4,000. So one could conceivably use the H4D for 6+ months, then for only $1,000 or $4,000 start over with a new H5D.
    Are you havng a laugh!

So I want to buy an H5 but because HB can't get their act together they announce a camera that if months (or years=H4D-60) off being ready so I'm offered a H4 with the same CCD but less technology in the meantime..... great.

H5 finally reaches dealers shelves and HB want me to pay an upgrade cost from the camera I didn't want to the one I originally did......?

So I have to pay full RRP on the H4 so I can take advantage of the H5 upgrade. Do HB dealers actually sell at RRP outside of the trade up programme as I very much doubt it? Sounds like a royal rip off IMO and more like a second hand car sales technique than a loyalty programme.

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Just wait... they'll slap you in the face when the next upgrade is released with the 35-90 zoom lens a week after your purchase. Sour grapes? Oh yes...

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, some of the trade in pricing does favor those that skipped a few upgrades.

Calculating the possibilities gives me a headache.

Because I also use an S2 which has taken over many applications, my H4D/60 has been mostly used in studio and has a very low number of exposures logged. Shooting tethered in studio is more deliberate and methodical, where one may spend hours setting up, and only fire off a dozen shots in the course of a day.

It has crossed my mind to make a deal with a H3D/H3D-II owner to swap + cash to get them my coddled and babied H4D/60, and use their camera as the trade in toward a new H5D.

OOps! Now I have another headache coming on.

-Marc
    Marc - don't temp me.....

Then again, those trade-ins are very seductive.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Are you havng a laugh!

So I want to buy an H5 but because HB can't get their act together they announce a camera that if months (or years=H4D-60) off being ready so I'm offered a H4 with the same CCD but less technology in the meantime..... great.

H5 finally reaches dealers shelves and HB want me to pay an upgrade cost from the camera I didn't want to the one I originally did......?

So I have to pay full RRP on the H4 so I can take advantage of the H5 upgrade. Do HB dealers actually sell at RRP outside of the trade up programme as I very much doubt it? Sounds like a royal rip off IMO and more like a second hand car sales technique than a loyalty programme.
    This delayed type offer is nothing new ... other companies have used the same technique when launching new products during pre-determined trade-show periods that may not coincide with an actual delivery date for a new product.

The customer is free to make their best deal with the reseller who optionally can cut their own profit margin to increase volume just like any reseller/retailer. All Hasselblad wants is their cost to dealer price. How you work a price with your dealer is up to you.

The flip side of your negative take on all this is that if you are running a business you can get a H4D/? and use it for up to 6 months for the cost of the trade difference to a H5D/?

In the case of a H4D/40, that would be $1,000. In contrast, renting a H4D/40 for 6 months would cost $10,000 from Lens Rentals (when they had one).

In the case of a H4D/50, the 6 month difference would be $4,000 compared to rental fees of $16,000.

Even if you only waited a month to upgrade, the H4D/50 trade verse the rental would be the about the same.

So, "rip off" is a subjective term ... verses the bottom line math, which is not.

If I were running a business, (which I do), and wanted to move to Hasselblad (which I would if I didn't already have one), the math would be extremely favorable to my bottom line as opposed to waiting for the H5 and renting for the time being.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

The flip side of your negative take on all this is that if you are running a business you can get a H4D/? and use it for up to 6 months for the cost of the trade difference to a H5D/?

In the case of a H4D/40, that would be $1,000. In contrast, renting a H4D/40 for 6 months would cost $10,000 from Lens Rentals (when they had one).

In the case of a H4D/50, the 6 month difference would be $4,000 compared to rental fees of $16,000.

Even if you only waited a month to upgrade, the H4D/50 trade verse the rental would be the about the same.

So, "rip off" is a subjective term ... verses the bottom line math, which is not.

If I were running a business, (which I do), and wanted to move to Hasselblad (which I would if I didn't already have one), the math would be extremely favorable to my bottom line as opposed to waiting for the H5 and renting for the time being.
    Not trying to be negative but I don't see why this is viewed as such a good deal unless of course it boils down to the H5 being a lot more expensive than the camera it replaces and hence why HB want more money. Will a H5D-50 be $4K more than a H4D-50?

My view is if by your logic I rent a camera (H4D-50) for 6 months solid, it costs me $16K. If the demand for a MFD camera was that high in my business wouldn't I already have purchased or be looking to purchase one outright (H5)?

I go to my dealer for the newly released H5 only to find its is not out for a couple of months so I'm offered the H4 but if I want an H5 I have to pay again. If it really is coming at the beginning of next year, wouldn't it just be easier to wait for the H5 to arrive and negotiate a better price with my dealer at the H5 release and continue using what ever system I'd ben using up until this point?

I could understand it being great if this offer was for existing HB owners but from what I understand it is only open to people buying new cameras.

From memory so this might be wrong but don't Phase One release cameras and offer the use of a similar model eg. buy a IQ160 and you got a P65+ (IQ were delivered within a couple of months after release) until the camera arrived? IQ160 arrives and you just swapped the back.

Post Thanks / Like

From memory so this might be wrong but don't Phase One release cameras and offer the use of a similar model eg. buy a IQ160 and you got a P65+ (IQ were delivered within a couple of months after release) until the camera arrived? IQ160 arrives and you just swapped the back.

Well that is what I did - P65 for about four months and then we got the IQ 180 - but there were dollars involved - we paid for the P65 and then paid the extra dollars for the upgrade to the IQ -

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not trying to be negative but I don't see why this is viewed as such a good deal unless of course it boils down to the H5 being a lot more expensive than the camera it replaces and hence why HB want more money. Will a H5D-50 be $4K more than a H4D-50?

My view is if by your logic I rent a camera (H4D-50) for 6 months solid, it costs me $16K. If the demand for a MFD camera was that high in my business wouldn't I already have purchased or be looking to purchase one outright (H5)?

I go to my dealer for the newly released H5 only to find its is not out for a couple of months so I'm offered the H4 but if I want an H5 I have to pay again. If it really is coming at the beginning of next year, wouldn't it just be easier to wait for the H5 to arrive and negotiate a better price with my dealer at the H5 release and continue using what ever system I'd ben using up until this point?

I could understand it being great if this offer was for existing HB owners but from what I understand it is only open to people buying new cameras.

I guess you don't track this stuff. The new price of the H4D reflects the price reduction they did some months ago ... obviously to reduce inventory prior to the H5D.

You miss the business point ... If I had the production levels to get a new MFD camera or what-ever the motivation may be ... like quality, or an impending assignment that justifies it ... and I actually wanted a H5, which isn't available in time ... rather than rent a H4D or any other MFD, I could do this trade up deal for less money, then log all the shots on it ... not my new H5D.

Photographers often rent to cover peak demands or specific shorter term assignments ... others buy it outright if they have longer term contractual deals, or a track record of years of earnings.

I have a close photographer friend who owns a very successful studio here when others are dropping like flies. 2012 was his best year ever. He runs 7 to 9 shooting stations 24/7 ... every station is equipped with H camera or H backs on cameras with T/S. He wins business based on quality for very demanding clients. The business thinking I'm suggesting here is something I learned from him.

Obviously, the Trade-Up promo isn't for everyone. However, there are business scenarios where it could make a lot of sense.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Phocus 2.7 has just been released,I just downloaded it...

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well that is what I did - P65 for about four months and then we got the IQ 180 - but there were dollars involved - we paid for the P65 and then paid the extra dollars for the upgrade to the IQ -
    Correct, but the TOTAL you paid was the same as waiting and buying the IQ*.

They just didn't make you pay the full total until they could deliver the newer back. You also had the option to stay with the 65 once the IQ shipped (so if you weren't sure it was going to be worth the difference you could wait until you could see a final production version to make your decision (though you had a set window to make the choice - I recall it being 30 days from when the IQ was available, after which you'd only receive standard upgrade pricing rather than the pay-the-difference pricing.

Those "loaner" backs were then refurbished and sold as refurbs for clients at the lower part of the budget spectrum.

This has been Phase's policy for all te product launches I've been part of.

*I don't remember how shipping was handled, so technically you might have paid $50 more or whatever (because of shipping) to "rent" the 65+ until the IQ was available.

Post Thanks / Like

Phocus 2.7 has just been released,I just downloaded it...
    Already installed? Could you see any differences?

I will check if the German website also has the update available. I guess... not.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, they had!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotom View Post
    Already installed? Could you see any differences?

I will check if the German website also has the update available. I guess... not.
    Looks the same on my Mac Pro but looks great on my Retina MBP...

The main Differences are under the hood...below is a copy and paste from the Hassy PDF for 2.7

New features in 2.7
    Camera configuration tool
    Select Camera Configuration in the Windows menu to open this tool which will enable you to edit basically every possible parameter of the camera. Please note that only H5D cameras are currently supported.
    In the left side of the window you will find 2 list views containing sets of configuration profiles. The top view represents the connected camera and it's 8 user profile slots - 7 of which are editable. The bottom view represents a local library of profiles stored on disk. Drag and drop can be used to transfer between the 2 views.
    The main part of the window represents the data of the currently selected profile. It's been split up in 3 different tabs Controls, Exposure and General.

Compressed multishot file format
    Multishot and 6-shot images captured with this version will be stored using a new lossless compression. For 6-shot images this will typically result in files that are only a third the size of an uncompressed file - for multi shots the compressed file is approximately 2/3 of the uncompressed size. At the same time in the new format all 4 or 6 individual captures are stored separately giving us more flexibility in enhancing processing algorithms later on.
    Please be aware that any multishot or 6-shot images captured with 2.7 will not be compatible with earlier Phocus versions!
    Camera tool enhancements
    A capture button has been added to the left of the live video button and further to the left you will find a battery indicator which currently will only show valid info if an H5D is connected. Also the aperture and shutter menus now have graphic indications of full steps.
    Notifications
    A notification feature has been implemented which will enable the display of software update messages.
    Mirror mode
    You can now toggle mirroring of the image by clicking the 'R' rotation indicator in the crop & orientation tool.
    Crop - move by arrow keys
    In crop mode you can now move the crop by using the arrow keys. H5D support
    Support for the new H5D cameras has been added.
    Support for the new HCD 24 lens and the new Macro Converter Lens corrections for these have been included.
    Retina MacBook Pro support
    Images will be displayed in full retina resolution.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    Correct, but the TOTAL you paid was the same as waiting and buying the IQ*.

They just didn't make you pay the full total until they could deliver the newer back. You also had the option to stay with the 65 once the IQ shipped (so if you weren't sure it was going to be worth the difference you could wait until you could see a final production version to make your decision (though you had a set window to make the choice - I recall it being 30 days from when the IQ was available, after which you'd only receive standard upgrade pricing rather than the pay-the-difference pricing.

Those "loaner" backs were then refurbished and sold as refurbs for clients at the lower part of the budget spectrum.

This has been Phase's policy for all te product launches I've been part of.

*I don't remember how shipping was handled, so technically you might have paid $50 more or whatever (because of shipping) to "rent" the 65+ until the IQ was available.
    Doug

I was not complaining - just sharing information. I was quite happy with the arrangement.

I really appreciated the IQ back after using the screen on the P65,
    I know we put so few images on the P65 that our dealer already had the back sold by the time our IQ arrived. It was in perfect condition, so one could say it was a win win for all concerned.

Regards.

Ma

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was not complaining - just sharing information. I was quite happy with the arrangement.
    Having re-read my comment I could see where I gave the impression you were complaining. I didn't think you were though. Just filling in the blanks on how that policy worked.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, they are only years late ... and I never got to use one on the S2 I bought in anticipation of high speed sync ... now there is a new S camera coming and I still can't get a Leica CS lens.

Fortunately, I did get the H to S adapter and finally have been able to use the CS shutter mode on the S2 that I paid for over two years ago.

-Marc
    I thought you might be interested to know that I got an S-70mm CS lens today.. I will collected it when I am in the UK next week...