The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpa FPS Video

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
To be fair, it wasn't an Alpa video so tough to blame them for the noise in the background at the store. I agree with you though that it was distracting and annoying!

jagsiva

Lula has a review on the FPS. Looks interesting, but not without its quirks and limits. A little surprised at the comment,

"I should mention that Hartblei tried to produce a similar "universal" Medium Format camera some time ago, but the effort was a failure. You can find our review of this device here."

Not sure what this is based on. I played with the Hartblei and did think about it for a while. It is well built and quite innovative in its design and capability.

Also, Not sure I got it right, but how is one supposed to focus the on the FPS? The Hartblei has a sliding back which is one of its strong point. on the FPS, I'm not sure what the mechanism for accurate focus is, and I doubt SLR lenses have the travel or finesse of the focus ring to put HPF rings on them. Again, I could just have misunderstood the concept all together.

Stefan Steib

I have already requested Mr Dubovoy to please enlighten me and the actual users of our camera what he means with this
Obviously he has no answer to this, at least until now there was no reply. Here is my answer from LuLa:

Dear Mr. Dubovoy

".......I should mention that Hartblei tried to produce a similar "universal" Medium Format camera some time ago, but the effort was a failure....."

Interesting, that as you probably never used one, you give such a bold and unproofed statement. We are selling the HCam now since 3 years, there are 3 versions of the camera, we have improved many details and a version HCam-B2 is in the making, a lot of successful Architecture and other photographers worldwide are using it. So as Gerald Donovan- who is one of these successful users - already asked - how do you define failure ? Could you please elaborate on this ?

Overall, I welcome the move of Alpa to do the same(or very similar - for differences look at www.hcam.de) thing that we do, your argumentation is as valid for the HCam as you did for the Alpa. So it seems some need a great name to understand what the facts are. As e.g. "real"wideangles are now nearly unusable on MF Viewcameras with 60 Mpix and up the need for an alternative concept was apparent.
I really wondered why it took so long that others approved this.

In short - it is good the market leader Alpa also does now what we have started, it shows the concept is right and now I wish more shall come.
May the market tell whom they will follow. I am just sure it will not be the "old mechanical stuff" and if Digital Medium Format shall survive there needs to be support, new concepts and phantasy from all actors and all makers in this range.

Greetings from Germany

Stefan

K

Khatsalano

The sound quality was so very bad and irritating that I could not watch. My bad hearing did not help. I have noticed, now that still photographers are getting into movies that almost no shooters pay attention to sound quality. Sound is a big part of talkies in my humble opinion.

rga

Also, Not sure I got it right, but how is one supposed to focus the on the FPS?
As you would on any Alpa, no? Either hyperfocal, ground glass or focus mask on your tethered or stand alone back (if capable)... The only option you may loose would be setting the distance from measuring (with a distometer or, more old world, tape measure...).
Or am I missing something with your question?
Bob

jagsiva

As you would on any Alpa, no? Either hyperfocal, ground glass or focus mask on your tethered or stand alone back (if capable)... The only option you may loose would be setting the distance from measuring (with a distometer or, more old world, tape measure...).
Or am I missing something with your question?
Bob
I guess this my point of interest. As I researched tech cams, the primary method of focusing on the Alpa that was presented was the disco/distance scale , and hyper focal as an extension of this. This can be further enhanced by HPF rings when required/desired.

I concede that this very usable on LF lenses (the SK's and Rodies), but not sure how it would work with SLR lenses. For example, how would one propose using a distance scale on a Canon TS-E 24II?

rga

I guess this my point of interest. As I researched tech cams, the primary method of focusing on the Alpa that was presented was the disco/distance scale , and hyper focal as an extension of this. This can be further enhanced by HPF rings when required/desired.

I concede that this very usable on LF lenses (the SK's and Rodies), but not sure how it would work with SLR lenses. For example, how would one propose using a distance scale on a Canon TS-E 24II?
You throw a whole new dynamic into the equation with a TS lens... I have struggled with this for some years now. I started with a Hasselblad Flexbody and an Aptus 22/P45+ (using Hassy lenses) to the Alpa with Tilt. Gone from distometer to ground glass to tethering for focus mask in Capture One in the field and now onto an IQ with focus mask.

If you leave T/S out of the equation, it' quite easy to do some test shots with a non-LF lens to see where they fall, but differentiation not only from focal length to focal length but within the same focal length will certainly occur for these mass produced lenses. My experience would strongly suggest using a digital back with focus mask or tethering using C1's focus mask would be your best solution...

But your original question as to how you focus seemed to imply there was no way to focus. I think there are a number of ways, but some are more precise than others...
Best,
Bob

archivue

But your original question as to how you focus seemed to imply there was no way to focus. I think there are a number of ways, but some are more precise than others...
Best,
Bob
how to frame ?
no viewfinder ?
no sliding back ?
live view ? hahaha !
and to be honest, prior to have an Rm3d... when i was using a canon, i used to have an olympus 35 PC MC ... considering distortion, sharpness, and color cast... we are far from the quality of a schneider 35 XL... not to mention the 28 HR !

it can't use some existing MFDB lenses such as the 23 HR... 35xl ? 28 HR ?

with non tse lenses... it's shift OR tilt !?

long exposure : it's nice !

Sync speed unknow !?

Except for the possibility to use a 24 TS-E II i still can't understand the real benefit of this type of camera ! ... did i miss something ? probably !

Last edited:

gerald.d

Except for the possibility to use a 24 TS-E II i still can't understand the real benefit of this type of camera ! ... did i miss something ? probably !
I'll copy and paste from a post I made back at Photokina -

17mm lens on full frame MF sensor.
85mm f/1.2 delivering 63MP from a crop on FF MF sensor.
100MP full spherical panorama from just 3 shots using a 12.5mm fisheye lens.
Half-dome stills and timelapses 8000 pixels across with one shot.
400/2.8, 500/4.0, 600/4.0, 800/5.6, 1200/5.6 lenses on MF. Not sure exactly how much of a crop yet (hope to be testing soon), but possibly considerable - even full - coverage when also used with teleconverters.
Use of tech lenses with programmable focal plane shutter - electronic control of T exposures, time-delayed exposures, timelapses, panoramas when combined with something like the Seitz VR Drive.

Stefan Steib

You can use all manual MF lenses with TS on Medium Format see here

Timeline Photos | Facebook

you can use Fisheye with 13mm on 80 Mpix MF - Gerald does a lot of this and we did a Fulldome Timelapse series With Patryk Kizny see here:

Full Dome (Omnimax) timelapse samples on Vimeo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/patryk-kizny/6734926351/

Things that people didn´t even dream of using standard gear.

Phantasy is the word, inspiration and enthusiasm. Thats what makes good photography.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Sync speed unknow !?
Sync speed is the same as any device using the focal plane Phase One / Mamiya shutter: 1/125th*

*if you're really splitting hairs you probably need to go 1/3rd stop slower to avoid a minor vignette at the bottom of a full-frame back at 1/125th

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
It took a couple of years but I finally bit the FPS bullet along with an IQ150 :D

The flexibility if you're already an Alpa user is outstanding. Also looking forward to trying some of my V glass on the STC/FPS/tilt adapter combo too!