Site Sponsors

Thread: Alpa FPS Video

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Alpa FPS Video

Brian Hirschfield just put up his Youtube overview of the ALPA FPS presented by ALPA co-owner André Oldani.

Alpa FPS - Full Overview - YouTube

Very nice system overview!
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Alpa FPS Video

flash sync speed ?

Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't he tell everyone else to shut up?

I expected better than this from Alpa.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

To be fair, it wasn't an Alpa video so tough to blame them for the noise in the background at the store. I agree with you though that it was distracting and annoying!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lula has a review on the FPS. Looks interesting, but not without its quirks and limits. A little surprised at the comment,

"I should mention that Hartblei tried to produce a similar "universal" Medium Format camera some time ago, but the effort was a failure. You can find our review of this device here."

Not sure what this is based on. I played with the Hartblei and did think about it for a while. It is well built and quite innovative in its design and capability.

Also, Not sure I got it right, but how is one supposed to focus the on the FPS? The Hartblei has a sliding back which is one of its strong point. on the FPS, I'm not sure what the mechanism for accurate focus is, and I doubt SLR lenses have the travel or finesse of the focus ring to put HPF rings on them. Again, I could just have misunderstood the concept all together.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have already requested Mr Dubovoy to please enlighten me and the actual users of our camera what he means with this
    Obviously he has no answer to this, at least until now there was no reply. Here is my answer from LuLa:

Dear Mr. Dubovoy

".......I should mention that Hartblei tried to produce a similar "universal" Medium Format camera some time ago, but the effort was a failure....."

Interesting, that as you probably never used one, you give such a bold and unproofed statement. We are selling the HCam now since 3 years, there are 3 versions of the camera, we have improved many details and a version HCam-B2 is in the making, a lot of successful Architecture and other photographers worldwide are using it. So as Gerald Donovan- who is one of these successful users - already asked - how do you define failure ? Could you please elaborate on this ?

Overall, I welcome the move of Alpa to do the same(or very similar - for differences look at www.hcam.de) thing that we do, your argumentation is as valid for the HCam as you did for the Alpa. So it seems some need a great name to understand what the facts are. As e.g. "real"wideangles are now nearly unusable on MF Viewcameras with 60 Mpix and up the need for an alternative concept was apparent.
    I really wondered why it took so long that others approved this.

In short - it is good the market leader Alpa also does now what we have started, it shows the concept is right and now I wish more shall come.
    May the market tell whom they will follow. I am just sure it will not be the "old mechanical stuff" and if Digital Medium Format shall survive there needs to be support, new concepts and phantasy from all actors and all makers in this range.

Greetings from Germany

Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The LULA review, and a video, is here: The New ALPA 12 FPS

Khatsalano

The sound quality was so very bad and irritating that I could not watch. My bad hearing did not help. I have noticed, now that still photographers are getting into movies that almost no shooters pay attention to sound quality. Sound is a big part of talkies in my humble opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jagsiva View Post
    Also, Not sure I got it right, but how is one supposed to focus the on the FPS?
    As you would on any Alpa, no? Either hyperfocal, ground glass or focus mask on your tethered or stand alone back (if capable)... The only option you may loose would be setting the distance from measuring (with a distometer or, more old world, tape measure...).
    Or am I missing something with your question?
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rga View Post
    As you would on any Alpa, no? Either hyperfocal, ground glass or focus mask on your tethered or stand alone back (if capable)... The only option you may loose would be setting the distance from measuring (with a distometer or, more old world, tape measure...).
    Or am I missing something with your question?
    Bob
    I guess this my point of interest. As I researched tech cams, the primary method of focusing on the Alpa that was presented was the disco/distance scale , and hyper focal as an extension of this. This can be further enhanced by HPF rings when required/desired.

I concede that this very usable on LF lenses (the SK's and Rodies), but not sure how it would work with SLR lenses. For example, how would one propose using a distance scale on a Canon TS-E 24II?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jagsiva View Post
    I guess this my point of interest. As I researched tech cams, the primary method of focusing on the Alpa that was presented was the disco/distance scale , and hyper focal as an extension of this. This can be further enhanced by HPF rings when required/desired.

I concede that this very usable on LF lenses (the SK's and Rodies), but not sure how it would work with SLR lenses. For example, how would one propose using a distance scale on a Canon TS-E 24II?
    You throw a whole new dynamic into the equation with a TS lens... I have struggled with this for some years now. I started with a Hasselblad Flexbody and an Aptus 22/P45+ (using Hassy lenses) to the Alpa with Tilt. Gone from distometer to ground glass to tethering for focus mask in Capture One in the field and now onto an IQ with focus mask.

If you leave T/S out of the equation, it' quite easy to do some test shots with a non-LF lens to see where they fall, but differentiation not only from focal length to focal length but within the same focal length will certainly occur for these mass produced lenses. My experience would strongly suggest using a digital back with focus mask or tethering using C1's focus mask would be your best solution...

But your original question as to how you focus seemed to imply there was no way to focus. I think there are a number of ways, but some are more precise than others...
    Best,
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rga View Post
    But your original question as to how you focus seemed to imply there was no way to focus. I think there are a number of ways, but some are more precise than others...
    Best,
    Bob
    how to frame ?
    no viewfinder ?
    no sliding back ?
    live view ? hahaha !
    and to be honest, prior to have an Rm3d... when i was using a canon, i used to have an olympus 35 PC MC ... considering distortion, sharpness, and color cast... we are far from the quality of a schneider 35 XL... not to mention the 28 HR !

it can't use some existing MFDB lenses such as the 23 HR... 35xl ? 28 HR ?

with non tse lenses... it's shift OR tilt !?

long exposure : it's nice !

Sync speed unknow !?

Except for the possibility to use a 24 TS-E II i still can't understand the real benefit of this type of camera ! ... did i miss something ? probably !
    Last edited by archivue; 10th December 2012 at 02:32.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by archivue View Post
    Except for the possibility to use a 24 TS-E II i still can't understand the real benefit of this type of camera ! ... did i miss something ? probably !
    I'll copy and paste from a post I made back at Photokina -

17mm lens on full frame MF sensor.
    85mm f/1.2 delivering 63MP from a crop on FF MF sensor.
    100MP full spherical panorama from just 3 shots using a 12.5mm fisheye lens.
    Half-dome stills and timelapses 8000 pixels across with one shot.
    400/2.8, 500/4.0, 600/4.0, 800/5.6, 1200/5.6 lenses on MF. Not sure exactly how much of a crop yet (hope to be testing soon), but possibly considerable - even full - coverage when also used with teleconverters.
    Use of tech lenses with programmable focal plane shutter - electronic control of T exposures, time-delayed exposures, timelapses, panoramas when combined with something like the Seitz VR Drive.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You can use all manual MF lenses with TS on Medium Format see here

Timeline Photos | Facebook

you can use Fisheye with 13mm on 80 Mpix MF - Gerald does a lot of this and we did a Fulldome Timelapse series With Patryk Kizny see here:

Full Dome (Omnimax) timelapse samples on Vimeo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/patryk-kizny/6734926351/

Things that people didn´t even dream of using standard gear.

Phantasy is the word, inspiration and enthusiasm. Thats what makes good photography.

Greetings from Germany
    Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "

Post Thanks / Like

The video showing the menu structure is up now as well. Worth a look -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoAGykbU8xc

One thing I would add that none of the reviews have mentioned yet is the shutter release button. I don't know how it's constructed, but it is the most gorgeous action I've ever used on a camera

Post Thanks / Like

for me the hartblei is a better choice because of the ground glass !

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by archivue View Post
    Sync speed unknow !?
    Sync speed is the same as any device using the focal plane Phase One / Mamiya shutter: 1/125th*

*if you're really splitting hairs you probably need to go 1/3rd stop slower to avoid a minor vignette at the bottom of a full-frame back at 1/125th
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Doug

thats because the shutter is actually syncing at 110th/sec not 125th.
    so we decided not to use the 125th but use/call it 1/90sec instead.

http://hartblei.de/en/hartbleicam5.htm

regards
    Stefan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It took a couple of years but I finally bit the FPS bullet along with an IQ150

The flexibility if you're already an Alpa user is outstanding. Also looking forward to trying some of my V glass on the STC/FPS/tilt adapter combo too!

Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

couple of alpaphiles
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Alpaholics?

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    It took a couple of years but I finally bit the FPS bullet along with an IQ150

The flexibility if you're already an Alpa user is outstanding. Also looking forward to trying some of my V glass on the STC/FPS/tilt adapter combo too!
    Congrats Graham . ALPAHOLICS ? ? ? Yes definately
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    couple of alpaphiles

When was this image taken ? ? ?
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    When was this image taken ? ? ?
    Late Feb 2014 - I got the IQ250 and FPS to play with at the Carmel CI event that Ken Doo & Don Libby and Dave Gallagher work so hard to put on.

So I guess I actually held out for just under a year ... and also the power of some MF digital marketing/training events and why you shouldn't ever get hands on with loaner expensive cameras!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great Graham

But an empty wallet helps as well .
    Regards . Jürgen .

Post Thanks / Like

This might be really obvious but when he talks about one battery being able to power
    30,000 actuations, is this just talking about the FPS itself?

When a digital back is connected does that have separate power? If so, how many actuations might you get for that? Am mainly thinking for hiking/landscape type
    scenarios.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

30000 is for the FPS Shutter not the back.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, I thought so...

Any idea roughly how long you get out of a MFDB? I know this varies from back to back but am just trying to get a rough idea really..

Also, once it runs out of charge, I assume they take a replaceable battery?

Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Batteries on my Leaf Aptus II-7 last about an hour and a half. The battery fits on the outside, and interferes with some tripod heads. On the newer backs, you open a little door and slide the battery inside, like on a Canon camera. That way looks nicer, and won't interfere with your tripod.

This review from Frank Doorhof may be helpful:

Leaf Credo first impressions | Frank Doorhof

Post Thanks / Like

so far the only value i see with the FPS is with the ultra wide sift lenses, like what Gerald's done with the 17TS. i mean. all the other lenses work better on their native systems no? who's really going to put a 300mm plus on FPS and why? (instead of putting them on their native cameras)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, the argument also is why not have a camera platform that you can put just about any lens you like on and also enjoy the quality of the images from your digital back too? That opens up the creative options significantly.

It's not a crime to use lenses that don't cover the entire sensor either. I'll take a crop from my MFDB over having yet another dedicated camera and lens system any day.

Is it for everyone? No certainly not. However, most folks shooting with mirrorless cameras are also enjoying the ability to use a flexible body with adapters to use the myriad of 35mm lenses such as with the Sony A7 series for example.

Last edited by GrahamWelland; 20th February 2015 at 19:58.