Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 51 to 67 of 67

Thread: Lenses for Hartblei HCam and Alpa FPS

  1. #51
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Munich/Guangzhou
    Posts
    138
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Lenses for Hartblei HCam and Alpa FPS

    Hi Marko, yes I remember your thread and modified Mamiya 645 camera, really cool transformation. When I read it, I thought also to modify a Contax 645 to use with the Contax CY 85f1.2 lens. But then I decided to wait for the FPS to test the lens. And due to the shorter flange distance of the lens, it's difficult to convert the mount and one must dramatically shorten the mirror and still cannot focus to infinity. Let's see, maybe I still will try ...

  2. #52
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Lenses for Hartblei HCam and Alpa FPS

    My recent solution for my old Mamiya collections with FPS. Astonished versatility and amazing result.

    Attachment 73154

    Attachment 73155

    Regards

    Michael
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #53
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    173
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Lenses for Hartblei HCam and Alpa FPS

    Quote Originally Posted by chrismuc View Post
    Hi Marko, yes I remember your thread and modified Mamiya 645 camera, really cool transformation. When I read it, I thought also to modify a Contax 645 to use with the Contax CY 85f1.2 lens. But then I decided to wait for the FPS to test the lens. And due to the shorter flange distance of the lens, it's difficult to convert the mount and one must dramatically shorten the mirror and still cannot focus to infinity. Let's see, maybe I still will try ...
    Your solution is arguable more elegant with the FPS, no modifications necessary, can stop down, focus at infinity and work on your dslr too. But I expect it to be quite tricky to use shooting people, have you tried? I guess it would feel more like an 8x10 then...

  4. #54
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    237
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Lenses for Hartblei HCam and Alpa FPS

    I'm no technical expert, but does anyone here know if it theoretically would be possible to create a canon/nikon dslr adapter for the backside of the Alpa FPS?

    Wouldn't it be cool to use say a D800 with live view and in front a technical camera lens such as a Rodenstock 32 and then stitch afterwards?

    I never understood whe the cambo 35 ultima system wasnt popular?

    Any thoughts on this?

  5. #55
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    173
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Lenses for Hartblei HCam and Alpa FPS

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Spinnler View Post
    I'm no technical expert, but does anyone here know if it theoretically would be possible to create a canon/nikon dslr adapter for the backside of the Alpa FPS?

    Wouldn't it be cool to use say a D800 with live view and in front a technical camera lens such as a Rodenstock 32 and then stitch afterwards?

    I never understood whe the cambo 35 ultima system wasnt popular?

    Any thoughts on this?
    I actually quite doubt this would be possible. The problem I see lies in the fact that any DSLR has a mirror box therefore the sensor lies much further from the lens than a DB. Its still theoretically possible, but the only thing that would work are long lenses with a precisely modified barrel length. Wides wouldn't work at all...

  6. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,198
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Lenses for Hartblei HCam and Alpa FPS

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkoRepse View Post
    I actually quite doubt this would be possible. The problem I see lies in the fact that any DSLR has a mirror box therefore the sensor lies much further from the lens than a DB. Its still theoretically possible, but the only thing that would work are long lenses with a precisely modified barrel length. Wides wouldn't work at all...
    Well all you have to do to get around that problem is "simply" remove the sensor and live view electronics from the camera body and slap an Alpa mount on the front of it.

    How hard could that be?

  7. #57
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    237
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Lenses for Hartblei HCam and Alpa FPS

    What about using a Leica M then? Isn't it the only full-frame, live-view capable, mirrorless camera?

  8. #58
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    53
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Lenses for Hartblei HCam and Alpa FPS

    While waiting for my HCam Alpa published a nice list of usable lenses:
    http://www.alpa.ch/dms/articles/2013...PS_low-rez.pdf

    The real shocker in this paper is the Canon 40mm STM to me. Just ordered one as Body-Cap for the HCam. :-)

    Best regards

  9. #59
    Senior Member malmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    538
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Lenses for Hartblei HCam and Alpa FPS

    I have not had the pleasure of using either of these cameras and while I like the idea I still struggle with the image quality when compared to a technical camera (Alpa, Arca Swiss, Cambo).

    I see some folk saying how happy they are and other being cautious.
    If someone can direct me to some full resolution IQ180 files taken with Canon TS lenses and the same image taken with a comparable Rodie or SK lens that would be appreciated.

    Maybe the image quality is close, I don't know until I see it with my own eyes at full resolution on my work computer.

    Any help would be appreciated.


    Mal

  10. #60
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    130
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Lenses for Hartblei HCam and Alpa FPS

    Hi,
    I have stumbled across this thread after researching lenses to get for Hartblei's new adapter for the Sony A7R

    http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/505...r-14-24mm.html

    I am looking to use this system to create a "poor mans MFDB" through stitching.

    I noticed that the link to some of the images in this thread are broken and would be really curious to see both them and other examples that may have developed..

    For example, I see the Canon 50mm 1.2 on here but cannot see what it shows?

    Ok, thanks a lot in advance!

  11. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    447
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Lenses for Hartblei HCam and Alpa FPS

    Has anyone tried the Zeiss Otus 55mm on an HCam or FPS?

  12. #62
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Lenses for Hartblei HCam and Alpa FPS

    Have just seen this thread and thought i would reignite it..

    Has anyone used a Alpa FPS with one of the 33mm x 44mm CMOS backs with either the Zeiss Otus 85mm or the Canon 85mm 1.2L?

    You guys seem to indicate that the Canon 85mm will work and over on Hcam.de facebook page, I see Stefan Steib has posted this with regards to the Zeiss Otus 85mm

    " Today I had a very interesting over 2 hours talk with Dr. Nasse and Mr. Weber of Zeiss about "Secrets and trends" in new Highend Optics. At this Occasion we also tried the Imagecircle of the new Otus 1,4/85mm on my HCam Master TS - and the good news is:
    There are 10mm all around of "Beef", making the new 1,4/85mm Otus even capable to be used on our HCam-B1 with the new IQ250 or Leaf Credo 50 or Hasselblad 50Mpix, all with the Sony CMOS. "

    Are you having trouble focusing the Canon 85mm 1.2L because it is being used with a CCD type back and therefore live view is not available and it becomes a bit of guess work?

    Gerald. D, I noticed that a lot of your image samples are broken for some reason.. Is there any way at all of fixing this somehow?

    Great, thanks a lot!

  13. #63
    Senior Member Stefan Steib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lindenberg im Allgäu
    Posts
    1,294
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    12

    Re: Lenses for Hartblei HCam and Alpa FPS

    @ tcdeveau: the imagecircle of the Otus 1,4/55mm is too small for shift usage on an alpa fps or an HCam-B1 or the HCam Master TS. Sorry, for that late answer, But I thought I had already answered that before.

    @joel : for all the fans of the EF -L 1,2/85mm Canon - there is an alternative with a (+ nearly identical image quality) built in aperture and working manual focus ! What I use is a Canon FD-L 1,2/85 remounted to an EOS mount made by Ed Mika from Canada. The image quality is amazing and the image circle is also usable for 10mm of shift on the HCam Master TS. Even better: portraits with tilted open f1,2.......aaaaahhhhhh. the Bokeh master.

    Greetings from Germany
    Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de

  14. #64
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,198
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Lenses for Hartblei HCam and Alpa FPS

    Quote Originally Posted by joelorbita View Post
    Have just seen this thread and thought i would reignite it..

    Has anyone used a Alpa FPS with one of the 33mm x 44mm CMOS backs with either the Zeiss Otus 85mm or the Canon 85mm 1.2L?

    You guys seem to indicate that the Canon 85mm will work and over on Hcam.de facebook page, I see Stefan Steib has posted this with regards to the Zeiss Otus 85mm

    " Today I had a very interesting over 2 hours talk with Dr. Nasse and Mr. Weber of Zeiss about "Secrets and trends" in new Highend Optics. At this Occasion we also tried the Imagecircle of the new Otus 1,4/85mm on my HCam Master TS - and the good news is:
    There are 10mm all around of "Beef", making the new 1,4/85mm Otus even capable to be used on our HCam-B1 with the new IQ250 or Leaf Credo 50 or Hasselblad 50Mpix, all with the Sony CMOS. "

    Are you having trouble focusing the Canon 85mm 1.2L because it is being used with a CCD type back and therefore live view is not available and it becomes a bit of guess work?

    Gerald. D, I noticed that a lot of your image samples are broken for some reason.. Is there any way at all of fixing this somehow?

    Great, thanks a lot!
    Hi -

    Sorry, I lost a lot of uploads on my webspace a while back and I don't have time to go back and work out what's missing (I'm not very organised!).

    Here's the Canon 85/1.2 wide open on an IQ180 (no crop applied) - plenty of image circle for the 44x33 sensors.



    Kind regards,


    Gerald.

  15. #65
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Lenses for Hartblei HCam and Alpa FPS

    Hi gerald.d, thanks a lot! Very cool indeed!

    Stefan, you mention on your Facebook page that the Zeiss Otus 85mm should cover the 44mm x 33mm sensor?

    Any further word if that is the case? Any samples?

    With regards to the Canon FD 85mm 1.2, I had thought about that already.. Due to the fact that you cannot manually focus the newer EF 85mm 1.2 and also cannot control the aperture on the lens when used with a "dumb" adapter..

    Do you do the conversions with the Ed Mika adapter? If so, how much is this?

    Still, the Zeiss Otus 85mm seems to be in a class of its own, so to be using this would be amazing!

  16. #66
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    107
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6

    Re: Lenses for Hartblei HCam and Alpa FPS

    I just started to use my Hcam B1. The camera has been resting / hibernating for the last few years in its warm cardboard box and has just found its way out into the light.

    I do not have any proper lens to use on it yet and have been searching for information on the best lens to use. Difficult to find useful information. Decided to revive this thread for people to post information on the latest lens.

    Alpa has some information on their website. One lens that intrigued me was the cheap and cheerful 40 mm canon lens. Tried it today and it nearly covers the larger format iq160 sensor. Gives quite a sharp image at f11.5. Good price performance ratio.

    This lens is fly by wire so for the hcam b1 you have to use a workaround to focus correctly, I first focused the lens using my sony a7s/metabones camera. Switched the camera off and the lens stays correctly focused. Then I changed the lens onto the hcam b1 and took the picture. If you need to refocus you have to repeat the procedure. Its easier than it sounds. The way the slider works on the hcam b1 means it is easy and safe to change lens as the sensor is protected.

    I also tried the Olympus OM mount 40mm lens. Unfortunately It does not cover the iq160 sensor. Though It would work well on the smaller iq140 sensor.

  17. #67
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Munich/Guangzhou
    Posts
    138
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Lenses for Hartblei HCam and Alpa FPS

    @Neil

    The Canon EF mount and short flange distance makes the HCam and the FPS very flexible regarding lenses.
    Best work lenses
    - with sufficient image circle for a 54x40mm back (that's obvious ;-)
    - with retrofocus lens design (like any lens that was designed for a mirror-refex cameras, not for a technical camera)

    Suggestions:
    - any 135mm shift lens + simple mechanical adapter for Canon EF (for example Olympus or Nikon or Pentax or Schneider or ... 24mm/28mm/35mm PC lenses)
    - any 645 or 6x6 manual lens like Mamiya 645 or Pentax 645 or Hasselblad V or ... + Mirex or other mechanical (shift) adapter for Canon EF

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •