The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hassy V On Way Out? Victor Question

robmac

1) Was just ordering my Epson 3800 from The Camera Store (well respected Calgary Alberta shop) when noticed on their blog that they've been told by Hassy that there are a limited number of V lenses remaining in stock for 'new' order.

This may not be news (or far from surprising), but looks like the the venerable Hassy is stepping up to the sacrificial altar of progress.

2) Also - anyone received the latest copy of Victor yet? May be my imagination, but seems to be taking forever to arrive.

atanabe

I would not doubt that Hasselblad would like to end the V system. The lense agreement with Zeiss must be very costly as the volume has dropped. This could explain why they bundled the latest 500 CWD with the 40mm at the same price of the 80mm.

Manufacturing of the H system is done by Fuji in Japan including lenses. This is much more cost effective than running a small hand assembly line for the V system. I am sure that demand is way way down for new V system purchases. You can judge this by the price of used V system lenses and bodies. While the price of H system bodies and lenses are holding their own.

Cheers,

Al

atanabe

No it isn't.

The lenses are assembled in Japan with Swedish built shutters. The bodies are assembled in Sweden.

Nick-T
I stand corrected, so then Fuji manufactures the components and Hasselblad assembles the bodies and lenses in Sweden then ships it back to Japan for Fuji to rebadge as the GX645AF?
http://fujifilm.jp/personal/filmcamera/mediumformat/gx645af/index.html

Either way, the H is the direction that Hasselblad is going. I don't think that Zeiss would want to support R&D on a shrinking market for lenses. Without lenses, the V system has no long term future in the NEW market.

My hat is off to Hasselblad for at least producing the CFV back for the V which prolongs the life of the V system.

Cheers,
Al

Henry Goh

I don't think the CFV back prolongs the V mount bodies because there are many backs made for the V mount. Phase one, Leaf, Ixpress, Sinar etc.

fotografz

I don't think the CFV back prolongs the V mount bodies because there are many backs made for the V mount. Phase one, Leaf, Ixpress, Sinar etc.
However, the CFV was the first "less expensive" back that was made specifically for the V series, and the ONLY one that works on a 200 series V camera.

It cosmetically matches the V cameras, and more importantly doesn't require any sync cord from lens to back like all other brands do.

It definitely had an impact on interest in the V system ... enough so that Hassey brought out the CFV-II, and continues to offer the 503CW.

Zeiss is another matter. But getting lenses for a 500 series camera is not an issue, nor is likely to be an issue.

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Here is what I heard and saw:
Hasselblad V System Lenses After many great years with our V System, we need to inform you that we have only a limited number of lenses left, and that these lenses may be the last V System lenses we will be able to supply you.\
The available lenses are: Planar CFI 80, Lens Distagon CFE 4/40 MM IF, Lens Distagon CFI 4/50MM, Lens Sonnar CFI 4/150 MM, Lens Planar CFI3,5/100MM, Lens Distagon CFI 3.5/60.

If you wish to order any of the above lenses, you are advised to inform us as quickly as possible, and order these for immediate delivery. Quantities are
limited, and we may not be able to ship you all the lenses that you require, but we will try to accommodate you the best way possible.

We will still manufacture the 503 CW as long as there is a demand for this product, and from

Zeiss it will still be possible to get the Classic line lenses

Makes sense since their focus is on the H line with software correction for lenses.

Hope everyone who celebrated the holiday had a good one!

L

Paratom

Makes sense since their focus is on the H line with software correction for lenses.

Hope everyone who celebrated the holiday had a good one!

L
I know many do it and my M8 does it too and its probably good for the IQ but still I dont like idea of "software correction" . For some reason I allways think that software correction adds something to an image which was not in it in the first step. Makes the image more artificial and less "real" for me.
Just my personal mental problem ;)
I am sure the H system is a great tool, but why could they not give it a little "sexier" design?

Now if the V-System will not be developped any further - I would think that Rollei and the Hy6-system would be the only "modern" system with the 6x6 square format.
Do you expect that this means there is not much interest in square and also in WLF-photography any more? And if so, why do you guys think it would be the case? (Personally I see quit some appealing things in WLF and in a 6x6 format.)

fotografz

I know many do it and my M8 does it too and its probably good for the IQ but still I don't like idea of "software correction" . For some reason I always think that software correction adds something to an image which was not in it in the first step. Makes the image more artificial and less "real" for me.
I am sure the H system is a great tool, but why could they not give it a little "sexier" design?

Now if the V-System will not be developed any further - I would think that Rollei and the Hy6-system would be the only "modern" system with the 6x6 square format.
Do you expect that this means there is not much interest in square and also in WLF-photography any more? And if so, why do you guys think it would be the case? (Personally I see quit some appealing things in WLF and in a 6x6 format.)
Software corrections ... like white balance? Like sizing? Like sharpening? Like B&W conversions? Like vignette correction? None of that stuff comes out of the camera 100% by itself either.

"Sexier Design" is in the eye of the beholder. I like my H gear ... it matches my shooting style ... and my hair :ROTFL:

I think there is still interest in the 6X6 square format with WL finder ... but 645 pulled ahead long ago due to digital backs and sensor sizes. So, the question is how much demand for a new 6X6 system is there when the Hy6 is already there?

To compete with the Hy6, Hasselblad would have had to re-engineer the V line, and under the circumstances of their downsizing, focus on integrated digital solutions, and dubious levels of demand for such a pricy new product, it's easy to understand the business reasoning. Use designs (503CW) you have until demand evaporates completely.

It may also become questionable to use older lens designs as digital resolution and technology relentlessly advances ... now 60meg .... then 80 or 100 meg? Digital view camera lenses, the more recent "D" AF offerings from Mamiya, and Leica's totally new S2 lens line point out that trend. Sales of the V lenses has to be dismal unless "bundled" with a CFV/503CW ... there are so many pristine used ones at half the price or less. And the lenses were built so well they just keep going, and going, and going.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my V gear and have most the Zeiss V optics. It's a joy to use and still produces what I need from that type of shooting experience. And if it all stopped being produced I wouldn't worry a lot about service, since most of it is mechanical and easy to get repaired. Easier by a mile compared to any "electronic" based system.

Last edited:
I stand corrected, so then Fuji manufactures the components and Hasselblad assembles the bodies and lenses in Sweden then ships it back to Japan for Fuji to rebadge as the GX645AF?
http://fujifilm.jp/personal/filmcamera/mediumformat/gx645af/index.html

Either way, the H is the direction that Hasselblad is going. I don't think that Zeiss would want to support R&D on a shrinking market for lenses. Without lenses, the V system has no long term future in the NEW market.

My hat is off to Hasselblad for at least producing the CFV back for the V which prolongs the life of the V system.

Cheers,
Al

It is a common misconception that Fuji has more involvement in the H system than they actually do.

So to correct this please read the following... :thumbup:

Fuji has absolutely no involvement on any level with the H system body. The software, hardware, R&D, you name it(!) comes out of Hasselblad in Sweden. The H bodies are all produced in Sweden. Fuji manufactures NO parts for the body.

The lens design is a partnership between the two companies. We have our own lens designer who is responsible for the optical elements (no pun intended). Fuji very much assists with the mechanical aspects of design.

The central lens shutter is designed and built in Sweden.

Fuji constructs the HVD90X viewfinder purely because they have the optical machinery to build this. However, the design including all the hardware is again from Sweden.

The Fuji GX645 is also made in Sweden and shipped to Fuji.

Fuji does however make the film back!

If you flip over the camera then you will see 'Made in Japan' on the viewfinder. 'Made in Sweden' on the body and 'Made in Denmark' on the digital sensor unit. Final assembly and calibration is all done in Denmark.

Best Regards,

David Grover
Hasselblad A/S

I know many do it and my M8 does it too and its probably good for the IQ but still I dont like idea of "software correction" . For some reason I allways think that software correction adds something to an image which was not in it in the first step. Makes the image more artificial and less "real" for me.
If software enhancement allows us to build cheaper, lighter lenses with unique and outstanding performance then who would argue?

Example...

The HCD28 was designed with software in mind. Therefore in the specifications of optical design we can easily make the lens sharp edge to edge and know that we can remove the distortion in Phocus.

This is no easy task as you have to know what the lens was doing at capture... Aperture AND focussed distance. This recorded by the software in the H3D - a benefit of integration of all parts.

This is then related to 57,000+ lens data tables in Phocus to perform the correction.

This gives us an outstanding lens on edge to edge performance, NO distortion and lighter and lower cost.

You can apply the same logic to the new zoom lens.

I'm all for that.

Best Regards,

David Grover
Hasselblad A/S

robmac

Sounds like it may be time (if you're a V shooter) to pick up any of those sought-after lenses you've been eyeballing.

As an aside - the latest issue of Victor went to press a week ago and is, as they say, "in the mail".

Paratom

If software enhancement allows us to build cheaper, lighter lenses with unique and outstanding performance then who would argue?

Example...

The HCD28 was designed with software in mind. Therefore in the specifications of optical design we can easily make the lens sharp edge to edge and know that we can remove the distortion in Phocus.

This is no easy task as you have to know what the lens was doing at capture... Aperture AND focussed distance. This recorded by the software in the H3D - a benefit of integration of all parts.

This is then related to 57,000+ lens data tables in Phocus to perform the correction.

This gives us an outstanding lens on edge to edge performance, NO distortion and lighter and lower cost.

You can apply the same logic to the new zoom lens.

I'm all for that.

Best Regards,

David Grover
Hasselblad A/S
David,
maybe I was not choosing the right words. I am convinced that post-correction in software makes sense - its more of a mental thing for me to accept that things are done in software which were done in hardware in earlier times.
And there is something where I am allways afraid that thing are "added" to the image which was not there. I feel parts of the image are calculated and istead of being directly exposed. Again, I do not doubt the final result and that it makes sense.

robsteve

Subscriber
From the Leica S2 introduction. I wonder if this was a dig as Hasselblad?

"The optic calculation incorporates all the factors and requirements of digital technology, meaning that software to correct image artifacts becomes superfluous."

PeterA

When my printer refuses to print a shot made with my HC28 and DAC - then I will be concerned about Hasselblad's inability to make 'real' lenses that don't 'need' digital 'correction'.

robertwright

speaking as one of those die hard V-system lovers, I would kill for a near full frame cf-v back for my 503. 40x40 is not doing it for me on wide angle.

Is 50mmx50mm not possible? the 1.5x crop is too far. and square is very useful still.

signed,
waiting in brooklyn for my hassy to be useful again, sigh.

fotografz

When my printer refuses to print a shot made with my HC28 and DAC - then I will be concerned about Hasselblad's inability to make 'real' lenses that don't 'need' digital 'correction'.
:ROTFL:

Perfect.

Exactly, cut the Bull and get right to it Peter :thumbup:

fotografz

From the Leica S2 introduction. I wonder if this was a dig as Hasselblad?

"The optic calculation incorporates all the factors and requirements of digital technology, meaning that software to correct image artifacts becomes superfluous."
What it means is: "Gentlemen, warm up your wallets." :ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
That maybe very true but still there is no way to avoid barrel distortion in a super wide retrofocus design. So I do have to questions Leica's statement there. There just has to be some. Hassy and Phase both correct for it with our 28mm lenses and on the Phase side it does a nice job and from what I have seen so does Hassy. Not sure you can get around the distortion factor. Now maybe there talking CA so who knows until we see them but like Marc said warm up your wallets . I say invest in a really nice ski mask and a fast car.