The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which digiback most suitable to Rollei PQ/PQS lenses ?

Rollei6008i

As I viewed some ideas from internet , the pixels' size are most affecting the image quality of non-digital designed lenses . Simply speaking ,larger pixel size can gain more electrical charges & results in better image quality ; But nowadays , the digibacks have more pixels & decrease the pixel size.

As I consider to step into the era of digiback, can the professionals here give
advice to me that which density of digiback mostly gain best image quality for my Rollei PQ/PQS lenses ?:):):)

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
In short you've read too much "theory" and not enough "in practice".

In theory if all else is equal a larger pixel is better.

But that has not actually been the case for any of the generational changes I've been a part of (phase/leaf).

What happens instead is that as the pixel size has decreased every few years the design I that pixel and the electronics around it are improved in a way that more than offsets the loss of pixel size.

An IQ180/Credo80, despite having the smallest pixels of any back, has the highest quality of any digital back.

I would also not get overly worried about this issue. In the world of digital backs there are very few bad choices regarding image quality. Even the ZD, which has probably the worst overall reputation amongst modern backs, produces a beautiful raw file when the stars are in alignment.

I'd instead focus your search on usability, speed, price, support, upgrade path in the future, long exposure capability, ISO range, and other attributes.

Don't get me wrong if you're a quality junkie then an AFi credo 80 is the way to go.

All I'm saying is this isn't like the world of consumer and prosumer dSLRs where half the models are pretty awful in IQ and you have to be very careful to pick one with good IQ. Every modern digital back will impress you on IQ.

Rollei6008i

Yes, I indeed reading too much. Since there is an expensive way for MF digiback.
As more practical, AFi -ll 10R is more ratio on length & width than 12R , which is more benefit ?? CREDO 60/80 seems cannot rotation , doesn't it ?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Yes, I indeed reading too much. Since there is an expensive way for MF digiback.
As more practical, AFi -ll 10R is more ratio on length & width than 12R , which is more benefit ?? CREDO 60/80 seems cannot rotation , doesn't it ?
There is no "better" or "worse" aspect ratio. Some prefer 1:1 (square), some prefer 3:1 (super panoramic), some prefer 3:2, some prefer 3:4. Personally I find myself most often producing 1:1, 4:3 or 2:1 for horizontals and 4:3 for verticals. My suggestion is to look through your best work and see how often your final crop was closer to a 3:2 than a 4:3.

To rotate the Credo you must remove the back, rotate it 90 degrees, and put it back on. It's fast and easy, but not as elegant as the AFI internally rotating option.

AFI also had a tilting LCD so if you use the WLF a lot that can be a nice way to see your images without hurting your neck.

But the interface speed and LCD quality of the Credo is really really great. Until you've used it in person and compared it to the Aptus/AFI interface and LCD it's hard to understand how much of a difference this makes with interacting with the camera.

Best option, as usual, is to work with a dealer that can show you these options either by in person visit, rental, or using a tool like our Digital Transitions Remote Demo Center which offers screen/audio/video/rawfile sharing.

Last edited:

Geoff

The other part of your question is the suitability of the PQ/PQS lenses for digital back. Mine go on a Leaf AFI II 7, 33 mp, and a friend has the AFI II 12, 80 mp. They work fine on both. Also worked well on the Phase DP20, the only Phase that fit the 6008 setup. Others have had good luck with the Hassy/Imacon backs, up to the big multishot ones wihtout issues, as well as the Sinar backs. The lenses are good enough for any back you can mount.

EH21

I have had several digital backs for my Rollei lenses. First the phase p20, then the imacon/hasselblad 384c, then the 528c, AFi-ii 7, and AFi-ii 12 and I added a later model hasselblad CF 528. All I can tell you is the rollei lenses work very well with all the backs. I prefer the schneider over zeiss but really they all stand up very well to the 80mp backs.

The most usable of the backs for me has been the AFi-ii series with the revolving sensor, sensorflex (where you can select the crop ratio), and the articulating screen. But I haven't tried the Credo. :)

Rollei6008i

The other part of your question is the suitability of the PQ/PQS lenses for digital back. Mine go on a Leaf AFI II 7, 33 mp, and a friend has the AFI II 12, 80 mp. They work fine on both. Also worked well on the Phase DP20, the only Phase that fit the 6008 setup. Others have had good luck with the Hassy/Imacon backs, up to the big multishot ones wihtout issues, as well as the Sinar backs. The lenses are good enough for any back you can mount.
Great News for me . Many many Thanks.

Rollei6008i

I have had several digital backs for my Rollei lenses. First the phase p20, then the imacon/hasselblad 384c, then the 528c, AFi-ii 7, and AFi-ii 12 and I added a later model hasselblad CF 528. All I can tell you is the rollei lenses work very well with all the backs. I prefer the schneider over zeiss but really they all stand up very well to the 80mp backs.

The most usable of the backs for me has been the AFi-ii series with the revolving sensor, sensorflex (where you can select the crop ratio), and the articulating screen. But I haven't tried the Credo. :)
My conserns are all out now. Many Thanks.:thumbup::thumbup: