Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Iq Focus Mask Sensitivity Setting

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Posts
    621
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Iq Focus Mask Sensitivity Setting

    I'm in need of advice on what folks find to be the optimal focus mask setting on their IQ backs. I'm pretty much all landscape and obsessed with tilt for near far crispy images. IQ160 on the way...
    Thanks in advance for sharing your opinions/experience,
    Bob

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Little Rock AR
    Posts
    1,927
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Iq Focus Mask Sensitivity Setting

    I didn't know there were any settings, just on or off,. Are there ways to tweak the sensitivity? I have a 160 and find that I don't use the focus mask that much. The LCD at 100% view for me is a better tool.

    I use tilt a lot with my 28mm, 35mm and 43mm. not as much on the 60mm. The mask is helpful when there is a good bit of contrast in the shot, but not as much when the scene is in low light, like a early morning, late evening shoot.

    The ability to zoom into 100% and scan the corners quickly is a great advantage.

    Congratulations on the 160, enjoy.

    Paul

  3. #3
    Senior Member stephengilbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    2,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: Iq Focus Mask Sensitivity Setting

    Touch and hold the focus box on the right side of the screen, and a setting screen will appear in which you can make changes to the appearance of the focus mask (color, flashing) as well as its sensitivity.
    Last edited by stephengilbert; 18th December 2012 at 17:47.

  4. #4
    Senior Member kdphotography's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Carmel/Tucson
    Posts
    2,355
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Iq Focus Mask Sensitivity Setting

    Quick tip that can help when you've got the time---opening up your exposure an extra stop can aid focus mask in dimly lit situations. When satisfied focus is good, set your desired exposure.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Posts
    621
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Iq Focus Mask Sensitivity Setting

    Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    Quick tip that can help when you've got the time---opening up your exposure an extra stop can aid focus mask in dimly lit situations. When satisfied focus is good, set your desired exposure.
    Good idea. Still wondering what folks use for the sensitivity setting...
    Thanks,
    Bob

  6. #6
    Administrator Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Prescott, Arizona
    Posts
    4,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    367

    Re: Iq Focus Mask Sensitivity Setting

    Quote Originally Posted by rga View Post
    Good idea. Still wondering what folks use for the sensitivity setting...
    Thanks,
    Bob
    It depends on the lens, the exposure, and the subject. Consider it a relative and not an absolute setting.
    I often shoot subjects that include an expanse of skin (ahem) and no matter what I do it will not light up on the skin but all around it, yes it does.
    I find it most useful in adjusting tilt. Measure a distance adjust focus for that, see what the focus mask indicates. If it shows a lot of green, then dial it down until it shows a bit, then adjust tilt, tweak the focus see where the green spreads and tweak until it is just right.
    -bob

    No, and there is not "one" setting that I use.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Posts
    621
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Iq Focus Mask Sensitivity Setting

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    It depends on the lens, the exposure, and the subject.
    I find it most useful in adjusting tilt. Measure a distance adjust focus for that, see what the focus mask indicates. If it shows a lot of green, then dial it down until it shows a bit, then adjust tilt, tweak the focus see where the green spreads and tweak until it is just right.
    -bob
    Thanks Bob. Good start of a workflow for me. Tilt focusing is why I upgraded. Tired of tethering in the field. Just spoiled I guess.

    Advice all good, so thanks again,
    Bob

  8. #8
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Iq Focus Mask Sensitivity Setting

    I adjusted my focus mask usually up in numbers until maybe like 20 percent of green was on the screen. If you have a number to low it shows a lot of green and let's say you will see marginal amount of in focus. I try to get what is critically in. Typically my tech cam numbers where in the 60 percent range if I remember correctly.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Posts
    621
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Iq Focus Mask Sensitivity Setting

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I adjusted my focus mask usually up in numbers until maybe like 20 percent of green was on the screen. If you have a number to low it shows a lot of green and let's say you will see marginal amount of in focus. I try to get what is critically in. Typically my tech cam numbers where in the 60 percent range if I remember correctly.
    Thanks Guy. Good advice about green on what's critical (and not the whole screen...).
    Bob

  10. #10
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Re: Iq Focus Mask Sensitivity Setting

    I set my tech lenses high, like 60 or 70 so I can "see" the PoF. However that's too high for most DF body/lens combo shots, so I dial it down to around 40 there. One trick for tech cam use is to over-expose by a good stop or two to check focus, as the added exposure creates more contrast along edges and increases mask sensitivity.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

  11. #11
    Senior Member kdphotography's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Carmel/Tucson
    Posts
    2,355
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Iq Focus Mask Sensitivity Setting

    Gosh, Jack, we think so much alike!

    Are you scared yet?


  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Posts
    621
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Iq Focus Mask Sensitivity Setting

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I set my tech lenses high, like 60 or 70 so I can "see" the PoF. However that's too high for most DF body/lens combo shots, so I dial it down to around 40 there. One trick for tech cam use is to over-expose by a good stop or two to check focus, as the added exposure creates more contrast along edges and increases mask sensitivity.
    Thanks Jack. Wondering if you ever get false positives with this over exposure method. Intuitively it seems that may happen...
    Thanks again,
    Bob

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •