The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Iq Focus Mask Sensitivity Setting

rga

I'm in need of advice on what folks find to be the optimal focus mask setting on their IQ backs. I'm pretty much all landscape and obsessed with tilt for near far crispy images. IQ160 on the way...
Thanks in advance for sharing your opinions/experience,
Bob

Paul2660

I didn't know there were any settings, just on or off,. Are there ways to tweak the sensitivity? I have a 160 and find that I don't use the focus mask that much. The LCD at 100% view for me is a better tool.

I use tilt a lot with my 28mm, 35mm and 43mm. not as much on the 60mm. The mask is helpful when there is a good bit of contrast in the shot, but not as much when the scene is in low light, like a early morning, late evening shoot.

The ability to zoom into 100% and scan the corners quickly is a great advantage.

Congratulations on the 160, enjoy.

Paul

stephengilbert

Touch and hold the focus box on the right side of the screen, and a setting screen will appear in which you can make changes to the appearance of the focus mask (color, flashing) as well as its sensitivity.

Last edited:

kdphotography

Quick tip that can help when you've got the time---opening up your exposure an extra stop can aid focus mask in dimly lit situations. When satisfied focus is good, set your desired exposure.

rga

Quick tip that can help when you've got the time---opening up your exposure an extra stop can aid focus mask in dimly lit situations. When satisfied focus is good, set your desired exposure.
Good idea. Still wondering what folks use for the sensitivity setting...
Thanks,
Bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Good idea. Still wondering what folks use for the sensitivity setting...
Thanks,
Bob
It depends on the lens, the exposure, and the subject. Consider it a relative and not an absolute setting.
I often shoot subjects that include an expanse of skin (ahem) and no matter what I do it will not light up on the skin but all around it, yes it does.
I find it most useful in adjusting tilt. Measure a distance adjust focus for that, see what the focus mask indicates. If it shows a lot of green, then dial it down until it shows a bit, then adjust tilt, tweak the focus see where the green spreads and tweak until it is just right.
-bob

No, and there is not "one" setting that I use.

rga

It depends on the lens, the exposure, and the subject.
I find it most useful in adjusting tilt. Measure a distance adjust focus for that, see what the focus mask indicates. If it shows a lot of green, then dial it down until it shows a bit, then adjust tilt, tweak the focus see where the green spreads and tweak until it is just right.
-bob
Thanks Bob. Good start of a workflow for me. Tilt focusing is why I upgraded. Tired of tethering in the field. Just spoiled I guess.

Advice all good, so thanks again,
Bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I adjusted my focus mask usually up in numbers until maybe like 20 percent of green was on the screen. If you have a number to low it shows a lot of green and let's say you will see marginal amount of in focus. I try to get what is critically in. Typically my tech cam numbers where in the 60 percent range if I remember correctly.

rga

I adjusted my focus mask usually up in numbers until maybe like 20 percent of green was on the screen. If you have a number to low it shows a lot of green and let's say you will see marginal amount of in focus. I try to get what is critically in. Typically my tech cam numbers where in the 60 percent range if I remember correctly.
Thanks Guy. Good advice about green on what's critical (and not the whole screen...).
Bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I set my tech lenses high, like 60 or 70 so I can "see" the PoF. However that's too high for most DF body/lens combo shots, so I dial it down to around 40 there. One trick for tech cam use is to over-expose by a good stop or two to check focus, as the added exposure creates more contrast along edges and increases mask sensitivity.

rga

I set my tech lenses high, like 60 or 70 so I can "see" the PoF. However that's too high for most DF body/lens combo shots, so I dial it down to around 40 there. One trick for tech cam use is to over-expose by a good stop or two to check focus, as the added exposure creates more contrast along edges and increases mask sensitivity.
Thanks Jack. Wondering if you ever get false positives with this over exposure method. Intuitively it seems that may happen...
Thanks again,
Bob