The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GG focusing loupe advise

tjv

Hi all,

I currently use a Rodenstock 4x aspherical loupe and a Silvestri 10x loupe to focus on the GG of my Linhof Techno. The 4x Rodenstock is super sharp with edge to edge sharpness and great eye relief but it's a bit low mag for my liking. The Silvestri 10x has good mag but has considerable distortion unless your eye is dead centre above the lens. It's a real pain in the butt to use. I'm wondering if any of you have experience using or have compared the 6x Schneider and Rodenstock options and perhaps the Silvestri 8x? The Rodenstock 6x is considerably more expensive than the Schneider but if it's considerably better I can swallow the cost.

Any opinions?

Thanks and merry Christmas!

TJV

Geoff

FWIW I'm using an old Agfa 8x film lupe (remember those old acrylic jobs?), simple and forgiving. Seems just fine, small and easy.

richardman

I use the Hening 6x from EB*y. Supposed to be MC, and has a diopter. The nicest feature is that it's about 6" long so your nose isn't right on the GG. Works well for me.

I paid about $60-$70

tjv

Thanks guys,
Does anyone have experience with the new Rodenstock 6x aspherical loupe?

thomas

Thanks guys,Does anyone have experience with the new Rodenstock 6x aspherical loupe?
I do use the 6x asph loupe from Rodenstock. I don't know of a "new" one ... mine is 3 years old or so.
Back then when I bought it I've compared several loupes. Different brands, different magnifications. I found that a higher magnification only enlarges the grain of the groundglass while not being better suited for focusing.
The Rodenstock is really bright, contrasty and sharp (edge to edge). As with any loupe you have to look through the center of the lens ... but as the lens and the eye piece is so large this is a non issue.