The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LCC in C1 7.0.1

tashley

Subscriber Member
Does anyone know how to create and apply them: I have a bunch of historic LCC IIQ reference shots and I can create an LCC profile from any of them but the Apply LCC option remains grayed out when I try to apply them to to shot they were made in order to correct. This isn't helped by the fact that this version of C1 crashes more often than a drunk driver. Am I the only one ready to totally give up on C1 at the moment?

EDIT

OK I worked it out: they changed the way from how it's always been done and it is now counter-intuitive in the extreme, especially to experienced users. Grrr. And it seems that you have to Import From C1 v6 all you historical profiles > so I did this and it does indeed seem to find them and import them but then the online Help doesn't tell you how to apply the old V6 presets you made, though I eventually worked it out. There was a previous version change which 'lost' all my old LCCs and I was furious, so when I find that they've been dicking around with the system again, and that I can't even find clear instructions in the help, my blood runs cold and I start to wonder if they've messed up....

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Does anyone know how to create and apply them: I have a bunch of historic LCC IIQ reference shots and I can create an LCC profile from any of them but the Apply LCC option remains grayed out when I try to apply them to to shot they were made in order to correct. This isn't helped by the fact that this version of C1 crashes more often than a drunk driver. Am I the only one ready to totally give up on C1 at the moment?
The LCC Tool in Capture One Pro 7 | Phase One - YouTube

It's ok if you skip early versions of a new software if what you crave is utter stability.

Being on the bleeding edge will, sometimes, get you cut :).

If you're of the mentality to be on the bleeding edge and take the time to submit crash reports and bug reports via support case then that helps them make the next version better.

If you're of the mentality to go back to 6.4.4 and put your head in the sand for a bug fix version or two, that's ok too :).

Odd part of stability in 7.0.1 is that it is very dependent on the system. Some of our test systems and customers have found it very stable. Others have had significant issues regardless of what we try to do to help.

tashley

Subscriber Member
It's buggier than the everglades! On my Retina it crashes so badly that I have to hard reboot the system. On my 3 year old Mac Pro I can at least Force Quit. Sorry Doug, but when Lightroom goes through a version change, the glitches are tiny and non-life threatening. Capture One feels increasingly like a dodgy option, however good it might eventually be at decoding RAW files....

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
It's buggier than the everglades! On my Retina it crashes so badly that I have to hard reboot the system. On my 3 year old Mac Pro I can at least Force Quit. Sorry Doug, but when Lightroom goes through a version change, the glitches are tiny and non-life threatening. Capture One feels increasingly like a dodgy option, however good it might eventually be at decoding RAW files....
So adopt C1 after a few bug releases and you won't ever have to deal with it. You might live longer too :). I can pass on the feedback, but I assure you they work furiously after major releases to try to catch all the bugs that weren't caught in beta testing.

If it hurts you to hit yourself over the head, stop hitting yourself over the head. If v7 crashing a lot annoys you then stop running v7 for a few weeks and my guess is you'll be very happy with future bug-fix versions.

Don't misunderstand my lack of political filter or directness here; I wish every version of C1 would be rock solid from day 1 just like I wish Apple wouldn't release (and ship systems only loaded with) buggy new OS's. But the reality is Capture One X.0 (and often x.0.1) will have some bugs just like OSX 10.X.0 and iOS X.0 will have some bugs. The same is true for LR though I agree the number and kind of crashes is usually less (though for specific hardware configurations LR4.0 was a nightmare). The solution for those who don't wish to bleed is to not be on the cutting edge. Those who want to be on the cutting edge out of curiosity, personal disposition, or necessity have to do so knowing they might occasionally bleed.

What's maybe not obvious is that C1 often takes advantage of hardware or OS capacity that LR does not, largely because implementing them is very tricky. C1v7 for instance relies heavily on Open CL which is a HUGE boost to processing/calculation but which is very prone to system-specific bugs (i.e. specific graphics cards or OS versions) that need to be hammered out individually. C1v7 also implements for instance the true SDKs from Canon/Nikon which allow them to provide support for live view and other advanced functionality that LR does not, but the true SDKs from Canon/Nikon are also prone to system specific and OS specific issues (see also: current Canon tethering issues in 10.7.5 and 10.8).

tashley

Subscriber Member
Understood, thank you Doug. I agree that I shouldn't have upgraded at the first release but I was tempted by camera support options not available in LR at the time. Next time I'll know better!

Paul2660

Tim,
I agree that at first the new style of LCC processing was a bit confusing. Once I realized that Phase had implemented the process to look like most of the other save type interfaces, things went smoother.

I would still like to see the ability to have Capture One only show the LCC's that apply to images in a certain folder of raw files. As it is now all the various LCCs show for everything created. I also assume there is a max? This may work differently in catalogs.

Example, I tend to store all raws from one day's shoot in a named folder. I will browse that as I work certain files. I would like the ability to have Capture One only show me the LCC's that I have created in that folder of images. Just makes the processing a bit easier. There may be a way to do this, and I have just not figured it out. (like how to adjust the sensitivity on the focus mask on a IQ160 :facesmack:)

As for crashes, I actually have found Vr 7 and 7.01 very stable, in a win7 environment. I only seem to have a crash when I have a pretty detailed series of local adjustments going on, and then only on D800 files. Here you can recreate the crash each time, if you go to the local adjustment that seems to create the crash, you tend to see the screen change to square blocks, then crash. A reboot is not a fix, so the corruption is in the local adjustment layer and the only way I have found to fix it is delete the trouble layer and recreate it.

Capture One 7 is considerably faster to work with than LR 4.x on my 30" monitor. LR still seems to have issues when working on a 30" monitor and the interface is set to full screen. Things slow down and get jerky over time. You can get rid of most of this by minimizing but I prefer not to have to do that as I don't work with 2 monitors.

Not a tethered shooter, so I can't state if Capture 7 is prone to crashes tethered.

Paul

jonoslack

I must say I've given up on it until there are a few bug fixes. It now crashes my MBP i7 with 16gb 512gb SSD on almost every import. Time to wait a little.

thomas

I am a heavy user of LCC (as I shoot them individually for every scene) and I have to say that I like the new implementation better than the old one ... once you get used to it.
It's still buggy... on my machine the LCCs sometimes do not show the "LCC" badge on the thumbnail and this means C1 doesn't know it's an LCC. As a consequence you can't apply it via the "apply LCC" command. But you can store it as preset and apply it to the respective shot (which is similar to the old way).

As to the crashes: on my machine C1-7 runs pretty stable as long as I create new sessions and don't work on captures from older versions.
If you want to work on older sessions I'd strongly recommend to delete all proxy files of the respective capture folders (both the preview and the focus mask proxies ... so *.cop and *.cof ... or simply delete the entire "cache" folder) prior to opening the captures in V7. Mostly this will improve stability by a large amount!
I would also avoid to open an old session file. Better create a new session with the same naming (the extension of the session files of prior versions is *.col50 while a V7 session will have the extension *.cosessiondb ... so the old session won't be overwritten).

edit: another thing to consider. In V7 the default preview size is pretty large 2048px (if I remember correctly). I've reduced the preview size to 1024px (preference->image->preview image size). This keeps the cache smaller and C1 will run better.
Only if you want to adjust settings offline (through the new catalog feature) you should think about larger previews ... but as long as you are working online C1 will redraw the preview to the zoomed size instantly.... this is why you don't need a large preview.

Last edited:

Don Libby

First - I don't have an Apple - my studio computer is a Dell with a hell of a lot of RAM and my laptop has 16GB. I've upgraded on both machines only using the laptop a small bit. So far I've no problems that I read folks with Macs having. That said...

I too found the LCC to be slightly quirky to deal with however after just a short period I find I like what has now become a new workflow.

What surprise me is the general reaction that if you don't like it stop using it for awhile and then try it again once more of the bugs are worked out. WTF? I've used Adobe since version 2 or 3 and each time they release an upgrade that's exactly what it is. I've only been using C1 Pro since it finally worked well on a 64bit machine but the one thing I've learned is that not to expect a lot. It seems the "upgrades" are rushed then we're expected to continue helping with the development until around x.5.

It also surprises me that the folks with Mac's are the ones experiencing the majority of the problems while the 2 or 3 PC users have smooth sailing....

Don

C1 7 opens in about half the time than 6 did so that's snappy. I do a lot of work in both C1 and CS5 and just noticed a problem in reading a tif saved in CS5 when attempting to view it in 7. Maybe I should do like Doug suggests - revert to 6 until 7 is working. Nope I'll just keep plugging along.

malmac

My wife and I both use version 7 on PC both with 64bit Windows7.
Sue has 32Gig of RAM and I have 16Gig.

The irony is that she has more bugs than I do BUT - and this seems to be the BUT, she does large folders of images which she processes to a smaller size and with more local adjustments, where I tend to process less images but output them to their native size.

Also the Canon files tend to have more glitches Vs the Phase One files. The support process has worked well for us.
The weakness that irritates me is online help - often the search function is not as helpful as it could be and I later find the information I need buried in some other topic.
But Adobe is just as poor in my opinion.

Mal

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I had a lot of crashes with 7.0.

7.1 is a distinct improvement but what seems to have made the most difference is putting 24 gigs of memory in my Mac Pro and installing a 960 gig SSD. Since doing this everything is MUCH faster - and no crashes at all.

I'm happy,

Bill