The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Opinions on HR 32

anGy

The HR 32mm is a Stunning Lens.
I agonised over it for ages before buying one, mainly because its the price of a small car!, but glad I did.

I use mine extensivley with Lee Filters, including the BigStopper which needs total Light sealing.

Forget the 86mm adapter, it vingettes horribly and is worthless.

What you need is the Lee FK 100 'Slip Over/Push on' filter adapter, with the 10mm adapter ring to reduce it from 100mm to 90mm. (Note: If you use a CF (I don't), then it is already 100mm apparently, so you don't need the adapter).

You need one of these: LEE Filters 100mm Slipover Foundation Kit FK100 B&H Photo Video

And one of these: LEE Filters 100-90mm Converter Ring for FK100 Filter FKD10090

This works perfectly for holding LEE filters on the HR 32, no vingetting, and no light leakage when using ND's, even the BigStopper 10 stop.

Note; I am using mine mounted on a Tilt/swing plate, on a Cambo WRS-AE, with an IQ160 back.

Regards

Mark.
Thanks Marlyn,
Very interesting input. I had the feeling that the normal foundation kit would create vignetting issues. It looks like the push-on filter holder + converter ring is a better option. Great. (I'll have to contact my dealer as those do not appear in their price list).

Apart from the big stopper, I'm planning to buy the soft and hard 0,6 ND filters. Have no interest in the colored filters.

What are you guys your preferred/most used Lee filters ?

etrump

One issue I am seeing with this lens is flare. Seems to pop up when I would not normally expect it. So looking into and reading about hoods, it appears that the Arca 6x9 hood will not work.

What solution are most of you using with this lens?
I use the cambo hood with good results with this lens.

jagsiva

Thanks Ed. Was looking at the new Cambo hood pics that Guy posted, and looks like a good solution with filter holder as well. Just need to figure out how to hook it up to the Arca. Main issue will be that Cambo is using a 2 rod system, while the Arca body has a built in receptor for a single rod.

anGy

Ed, if I may ask:
Can you stitch without having to remove the hood (or see it on the edges of the stitched frame) ?

If a Lee filter is inserted, do you think the hood will still be usable with the 32mm HR ?
With a filter inserted in the filter holder of the hood it won't be possible to insert the front of the lens inside the hood. The hood will then have to be seriously folded, but will it be enough for avoiding vignetting ??

Thanks

aeaemd

The 86 mm adapter ring works fine with the 32 mm if no stitching required. Otherwise, vignetting will occur with the slightest shift. using the outer ring is a great idea if you could find it.
THere are screw in filters at 86 mm.
I responded to AnGy question on another thread, You can't use Lee filters on the Cambo hood on 32 mm Rodi. The lens protrudes into it beyond the filter plane.

Amr

Marlyn

I tried the 86mm screw in, and it vingettes right away, without movements. (with the holder attached.

I think the bellows hood would work for grads, but is useless for ND filters like the bigstopper, as it dosn't light seal around the lens. The large stop ND's are very picky about even small light leakage from behind them. Even getting it slightly off center can ruin the image if the foam is not fully contacting the holder all the way around.

I find the push on adapter for Lee, with 2 slots works a treat for all of that.

Regards

Mark.

yatlee

I use the 100mm Push on holder and a 100-90 Donut Spacer on the lens (mounted on the barrels). It works fine without vingetting.

I got the true pol 4x4 schneider polarizer and never bother with the screw on filters.

Jeff_L

Hi guys- made my account just to reply here!

Yes it's an amazing lens. Really really needs a lenscast. I don't use a center filter- I also like the falloff. I have used a tiffen glass gradated filter on occasion...

I had SK Grimes make a special ring so I could mount the standard Lee filter holder. They took off the front filter ring (it was on quite tight they said!), and made a replacement which has a Lee style flange. It works perfectly. Like a dream. Very reasonable price, as always.

However- if anyone doesn't want to go this route, I'll sell you my 100mm push-on and 90-100 spacer. But I recommend you call SK Grimes instead. Although I hate this thing sitting on my shelf...

Jeff