The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

macbook air

danlindberg

11" - 2,0 GHz Intel Dual-Core Core i7, 8GB Ram & 128 SSD. (ext.harddrives for all images)

Do you think there is enough power here to work Credo 60/Capture One 7 files nicely? (And ofcourse Photoshop)

I need smallest possible, and lightest possible travel workstation. As it is now I work on an Imac in Sweden and another Imac in Spain.

I would buy a good screen in both offices when travelling back and forth, but with the Air I can also organize and do some checking and so on - on the road/hotelroom which I miss today. And the idea of having all software, updated in one machine would be great.

A more powerful laptop is not interesting because I want it tiny tiny tiny tiny.

But is ok opening up two 60mp files and perform a stitch....?

Anyone with experience with this spec machine?

Nathan W. Lediard

As a benchmark for you, I use the retina screen with dual core i7 2.6GHZ with 8 gig of ram... I have a 512 gig ssd though and store files on that when working on location, with backups to a seperate drive. It munches through my H4D-40 files like they are nothing and even stitching 10-20 files in Kolor APP is no big problem. Shooting tethered with the Thunderbolt/firewire 800 adapter has been problem free.
Now obviously my mac is more powerfull than the one you are contemplating, and my back is "only" 40 megapixels, but it really doesnt even break into a sweat... so I cant see the air being a problem for you on location for sorting through files quick edits etc...
Have you considered the 13" mac book pro retina? only slightly larger than the 11" air but the screen has to be seen to be believed! I have the 15" it is light and easy to take with me, compared to a standard macbook pro it feels super light and is very thin.... and the screen is just the best I have used on a laptop.. I know you didnt want to think about a larger laptop, but the retina screen really is just worth it alone for those extra two diagonal inches you will have to cart around... just my two cents for what its worth :)

danlindberg

Thanks for your input Nathan!

My thinking is that even if I do realise that the new retina screen is superior, a 13" is still far too small to do (serious) image post production on, and therefore instead going as small as possible for portability since proper screens would be in the offices anyway. I am already struggling with weight for cabinluggage when flying.

cly

I have the above MBA but, as Nathan, I have a 40MB back. I wouldn't expect major problems stitching two 60MB files (not sure about using a larger number of files) but I'd definitely prefer a faster machine when using masks in C1. I don't know if it's the MBA or C1 but in both v6 and v7 painting masks calls for a lot of patience (or a pretty robust external keyboard :)

Anyway, it's much faster than my 2.8 Core 2 Duo MBP.

Chris

PeterA

Dan -have to say I am blown away by the retina display powerbook - can't comment on tethered shooting via the thunderbolt to firewire adaptor - all depends on power draw from your specific back - I suspect power draw issues on USB3 is why some back makers haven't been able to release USB3 yet too.

I can comment on performance with a 700 SSD and 16 gig ram - wowee I am very happy. I wish there was a 30 inch display like the retina - it is just amazing. Makes my 30 inch NEC look like photos drawn on rough cardboard by comparison....

Good Luck

Nathan W. Lediard

Thanks for your input Nathan!

My thinking is that even if I do realise that the new retina screen is superior, a 13" is still far too small to do (serious) image post production on, and therefore instead going as small as possible for portability since proper screens would be in the offices anyway. I am already struggling with weight for cabinluggage when flying.
Yes I understand that! The few times I fly with equipment I ALWAYS get stopped at security and often have to sweet talk cabin crew into allowing me a little extra leeway on hand luggage... Im glad I dont have to fly all the time...

The thing is with the Retina its just a better screen, colours are pretty damn good, even uncalibrated, which means no nasty surprises when I get back to the studio and see them on my Eizo ColorEdge 27.. yes there are a few differences, but compared to the standard mac laptop screens, they are just miles ahead! So although I dont do serious editing on the MBP I still can enjoy the shots in a higher quality fashion, also you can adjust the resolution on the retina screen giving more real estate for image editing, and then go back to normal settings for surfing the web while sitting in the lounge waiting for your flight :)

The retina version of the MBP is also a lot thinner and lighter than you would imagine! if you can get to a dealer and do some touchy feely I would recommend it--- you may be surprised!

Hard decision to make! I went through the same process recently too I ended up with the 15" and it is just incredibly fast, on location flicking through many corporate portraits with clients, applying black and white adjustments etc it just happens with no effort and no hang-ups... something my customers like!

Good luck with the decision making!

danlindberg

I'm not in a hurry, so thanks to your replies I will check out the retina screen before any purchase. What I am also happy to read is that most probably there is nothing to worry about processing power.
11" retina would be ideal for me :)

Nathan W. Lediard

You're welcome! Good that are checking out the retina... but also bad, coz once you have seen it you wont go back.... I bought my wife a standard MBP and the retina for me... the standard screen is really nice.... until you have seen the retina...

jagsiva

Dan, I was on a similar quest to find a light fast laptop. My wife has a MBA 11" and played with it a little, but it just did not cut it.

I am on the road quite a bit, and needed something light. I have to lug two laptops around (work laptop is windows).

When the MBP 13" retina came out, I went and got it right away. it was great size and performance was decent. C1 7x was very good.

Main drawback is the lack of a dedicated GPU for both C1 and PS. Not sure how performance would be driving external displays.

Ideally, I wanted the MBP 13" Retina with a dedicated GPU and 16GB RAM. Why apple does not offer this is a mystery to me as I would gladly pay a premium for this at the same configuration level as a 15".

I ended by compromising on the size and getting a 15" Retina with 16GB/512GB SSD. I have somewhat gotten used to the size. The screen size is nice, and at this resolution, there is a lot of flexibility in how you work with PS or C1.

From a performance standpoint, this unit just blazes through files. It is faster than my MacPro!

Cheers...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Dan,
I was in the same dilemma and bought the MBA 13" due to the larger screen and SD slot. The difference in size and weight is very little and the wedge shape makes it easy to push it into whatever slot is available when the bag is full. Mine has 256GB SSD, but had I bought today, I would have maxed it to 512. There's no such thing as too much space.

When all that is said, the 13" Retina looks like a tempting option too, and maybe I would have ended buying that if I was to buy today. The problem is budget airlines. They seem to weigh carry-on luggage by the gram these days, and I hate the discussions at check-in. Air Asia, which I fly a lot, used to consider the laptop computer an extra "free" item. Not so anymore. Now it's included into the 7kg limit :(

Nathan W. Lediard

From a performance standpoint, this unit just blazes through files. It is faster than my MacPro!

Cheers...
I agree! although my mac pro is 4 years old now... but I have upgraded graphics and run SSDs for main drive and scratch.. that really pepped things up.. but my MBP 15" is real quick! I have "only" 8gb in mine but even so, it just flies... and with the 512gb ssd I can teher straight to the internal drive with backups on an external... then once back at the studio I can copy over to my main catolog on the mac pro and delete and free up space on the mbp :)

rga

11" - 2,0 GHz Intel Dual-Core Core i7, 8GB Ram & 128 SSD. (ext.harddrives for all images)

Do you think there is enough power here to work Credo 60/Capture One 7 files nicely? (And ofcourse Photoshop)

I need smallest possible, and lightest possible travel workstation. As it is now I work on an Imac in Sweden and another Imac in Spain.

I would buy a good screen in both offices when travelling back and forth, but with the Air I can also organize and do some checking and so on - on the road/hotelroom which I miss today. And the idea of having all software, updated in one machine would be great.

A more powerful laptop is not interesting because I want it tiny tiny tiny tiny.

Dan,
I have the 11" MBA w/ thunderbolt. I used it tethered in the field for focus mask. I stitch 3 images in CS6 when I get back to the room.
It works perfectly. I take a G-Drive (small 1TB) and back up in the room at night before reformatting my CD card. I run C1 Pro V.7.1(?), no problem.
Two "issues":
1. Get some reading glasses as 11" is small.
2. It cannot power your back. Probably a good thing as you can't change MBA batteries and I have not found an OEM solution for charging in the field/car. But this has never been an issue for me.

I did just upgrade to the IQ (for the price of about 6 of these!) as I'm aging and carry weight is a consideration. I take the MBA for my room, but not out in the field.

When flying I have an Alpa MAX, 150SB, 80SB, 35XL, 50SB17, MFDB, Extension tubes, filters, LCC plastic, batteries, cables, GG finder, and Loupe for GG. All in a ThinkTank Streetwalker. Carry that on my back with a small Kelty pack with the MBA, iPad, sweater, etc. carried on my front.
I'm a TSA nightmare, but never had a problem with them or carrying/storing onboard.

Good luck,
Bob

danlindberg

Thank you all for great input.

I fly frequently Copenhagen-Malaga and over the years there has been many airlines offering their service. Today there are only two with direct flights and they are Norwegian and Ryan. Ryan air is cheap with modern planes and good timetable, but that's were the positive ends. Lot's of debate on how they treat their staff and how they really (I am reaaaally) try to save money on everything, including safety. So it is not my airline of preference, but sometimes there is no choice.
Anyway, you are allowed 8kg cabin luggage and if it weighs 8,1 you either have to have to take something out and LEAVE it at the checkin, cannot put it in your pocket....or check in the whole bag for a stupid fee of like $100 on the spot, which ofcourse is not possible with my contents. Furthermore, you cannot have a camera over your shoulder or any items in your pockets, these will be weighed and put on top of your cabin luggage.
Hence the idea with 11" Air :eek:

Norwegian airlines are much better but as I said, sometimes there is no choice...

lkuhlmann

A Dual core i7 and 8GB RAM will not be a great experience. But it is possible to use it.
Consider a MBP 13'' 4 core i7, and if possible 16GB Ram. THis system will be great for travel. The Retina version is slightly smaller than the old type, but also much more expensive.
-Lionel

Pemihan

A Dual core i7 and 8GB RAM will not be a great experience. But it is possible to use it.
Consider a MBP 13'' 4 core i7, and if possible 16GB Ram. THis system will be great for travel. The Retina version is slightly smaller than the old type, but also much more expensive.
-Lionel
As fa as I know you can't get a 13# MBP with quad core i7, that's only for the 15"
Peter

Yeah, no 4 core in the 13". I wish they had, really stupid on their part. I do love my 13" air though. Have had no problems using final cut, etc on it. Really the perfect travel computer.