The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How are your CF card transfer to Mac without USB3.0 port?

Rollei6008i

Since USB 3.0 is new to MAC , what gear let you transfer CF card to your Macbook pro just only thunderbolt, fw800 ?? Speed is 1st priority.

Pls. advice.

Dan Ortego

I'm running a 2009 MacPro so I use the Hoodman USB3 Reader into the USB2 port with Hoodman 8gb UMDA-6 CF's with very respectable results. Takes less than a minute to transfer 204 RAW images from my A900.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If speed is your priority then you can use a Dual CF card cardbus adapter combined with a thunderbolt cardbus express/34 adapter. This I goes as fast as the cards can deliver.

I have the sonnet adapters/cards and also use the cardbus cf adapter with my 17in MBP too .

Otherwise, as mentioned a USB 3 UDMA reader such as from Lexmark works well enough but only at USB 2.

Rollei6008i

If speed is your priority then you can use a Dual CF card cardbus adapter combined with a thunderbolt cardbus express/34 adapter. This I goes as fast as the cards can deliver.

I have the sonnet adapters/cards and also use the cardbus cf adapter with my 17in MBP too .

Otherwise, as mentioned a USB 3 UDMA reader such as from Lexmark works well enough but only at USB 2.
I also found your mentioned Sonnet, how long to transfer a 16G full CF to MBP? IS it still on production now since I found some statement that this product is discontinued. Any heard about thunderbolt CF reader ?

Flynnyfalcon

I find the Sandisk FW800 to give very good transfer rates. Unless your downloading large cards on multiple occasions during the day, the increase in speed to say USB3 I doubt would be hardly worthwhile.

Rollei6008i

I find the Sandisk FW800 to give very good transfer rates. Unless your downloading large cards on multiple occasions during the day, the increase in speed to say USB3 I doubt would be hardly worthwhile.
Sandisk FW800 discontinued & diffcult to found. Can it support UDMA 7 ?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I also found your mentioned Sonnet, how long to transfer a 16G full CF to MBP? IS it still on production now since I found some statement that this product is discontinued. Any heard about thunderbolt CF reader ?
I have this and the thunderbolt express/34 adapter:
Sonnet - Pro Dual CompactFlash Adapter ExpressCard/34: Dual-Slot CompactFlash (CF) Memory Card Reader & Writer for MacBook Pro

It works with all CF cards I've tried. I can't speak to current availability at the moment as I've had it quite a while.

Last edited:

Professional

I have 3 Mac computers, 1 is Macbook Pro model 2008, and then Macbook Pro model 2009[early i think], and Mac Mini model 2009, in fact i bought that Mac Mini and MBP 2009 because my MBP 2008 stopped working or died, so i took it to USA while i was there for vacation in 2009 and they didn't know how to fix unless i pay a price closer to one new, so i rejected to repair under that cost and later i repaired it locally under much lower price by surprise.

So with all above i only have FW800 and USB2.0, i have Lexar Professional CF card reader that is using FW800 only, very nice one and very happy with it until the time i can buy a newer model of Mac with Thunderbolt or USB 3.0, but i really don't know how much fast i really need if i am not in rush.