Site Sponsors

Thread: Wahooo!!! MF Digital

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wahooo!!! MF Digital

Hi all, I'm a MF addict. Film, digital, love it all.

Do weddings and commercial work with MF digital, and personal stuff using MF film scanned on an Imacon 949.

Here's a few shots from the last commercial job done with a Hasselblad H3D/31 & H3D/39. It was for "Muddy Creek" horse back riding gear. A bunch of these images are being printed 8" wide for a trade show display ... including these two:
    Last edited by fotografz; 13th April 2008 at 15:04.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Wahooo!!! MF Digital

fotografz,

Beautiful work !! The color is sooooo vibrant! Used to shoot a Hassy 205tcc and still have a brand new Contax 645 with a couple of lenses(long story! LOL) Have considered a Phase One back, but have hesitated since Contax is no longer around. Also, with the way technology is progressing, wanted to see if MF is going to survive. It's a huge expense as you know, and since I'm a hobbyist, not sure whether to pull the trigger. Also have considered an Alpa/P1 combo. I shoot mostly landscapes and some wildlife at my home in Montana. Keep posting, maybe you'll inspire me to do it............as long as my wife doesn't find out about this forum! Any input would also be appreciated. BTW, we're MSU alums and my wife is from St. Johns.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wahooo!!! MF Digital

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Stone View Post
    fotografz,

.....and still have a brand new Contax 645 with a couple of lenses(long story! LOL) Have considered a Phase One back, but have hesitated since Contax is no longer around. Also, with the way technology is progressing, wanted to see if MF is going to survive. ......
    He who hesitates is lost

As owner of Contax 645, except for these forums I wouldn't know they were discontinued!
    Why?
    No problems, and lots on used market.
    Unless you want to be stuck with a narrow range of lenses, the C 645 has
    best AF Zeiss
    All the Hassey V series
    Many others in hassel or C 645 mount (Hatblei, others)
    Leica Viso lenses (the LTM) wth 6x6 image circle, truth)

I have had kodak >P25 >P45>P45+ and it gets better and better.

In 10 years I will STill likely be with Contax mount.

Most forget the glass aspect, The cameras are all pretty good (ok, live with 125 synch speed :-)

Regards
    Victor

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the encouragement !! Just have to "pick up" one of those cheap digital backs and I'm ready to go !! And, have a friend who's a the P1 rep......think I'm in trouble???

Jim

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc so nice to have you here among us , welcome my friend.

Have to say Jack and i really nailed it with regards to background on this site . Images are just jumping off the page. Well it takes photographers to know this stuff, and the design was for images. . LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc, great inspiring images; these reminded me when I first shoot Hasselblad V system in the 90's and Monte Zuker's location wedding portraits.

Guy, I always love the way FM forum background more than any other forum I have visited. However, this background you are putting together is even more pleasing. It is funny that you made the statement because I was looking and comparing the backgrounds between this forum and FM and your forum has a more warmth touch to it in colors and in personality.

I may have found a new home here.

-Son

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW I am also a big fan of the Contax 645 system and like Victor mentioned in his post, the Contax 645 system has some of the most modern Zeiss optics. In addition, it is the best mirror dampening medium format system I have come across. The new Hy6 is much more improved over the Rollei 6008 AF but still no match to the Contax 645 IMHO.

-Son

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you are concerning about the Contax 645 system, here is something to think about a discontinued product: Phase One is considering supporting this system as a hot swap promotion.

-Son

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I shot Contax 645 for many years before (carefully) going to the H system. The Contax 120/4 Macro is still the best of it's type ever made IMO. I had adapters that allowed use of Hasselblad V lenses and Mamiya 645 glass also ( 500/8 Mirror, 24mm fisheye and other weird stuff). It helped fill out needed focal lengths unavailable from Contax.

I now use Zeiss CFE and CFi glass on the H3Ds using the CF Adapter to round out the H/C line-up.

I'm also using an Aptus 75s back with a Mamiya mount on a 645AFD-II ... using an adapter for Zeiss 500 and 200 series lenses. Mostly use Zeiss FE glass ... 50/2.8FE, 110/2FE, 150/2.8FE and 250/4FE

Like the Contax did, the 645AFD-II provides in viewfinder focus confirmation for manual focus lenses ... and provides a shutter speed up to 1/4000th for shooting wide open in bright conditions.

Variety is the spice of life ... and the Zeiss V lenses have proven to be part of the equation throughout one camera platform change to the next.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This section of the forum is something I should not be reading , you guys are going to cost me money. LOL

Marc and Son glad you guys are carrying the torch here and any of your MF friends want to come play please invite them. The future of MF will get more interesting as new camera's are coming out . I played with a demo Mamiya 645 and for 10 k body , back and lens deal at 22mpx it was pretty nice little package. And canons big gun coming and let's not forget what leica is working on for the R10 down the road. We will see some industry movement that is for sure. Great stuff guys
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Guy, and all others that put in the hard work to fire this up.

Just e-mailed Peter A who shoots an Aptus 75 on a ALPA and invited him to take a look. We were just lamenting not having a place to swap info and show photos dealing with MF digital. Looks like you guys could be the White Knights : -)

I'll get my pal, the Russian Photographer Irakly Shandize to sign up when he gets back from teaching in Moscow. He's amazing. Shoots a Contax 645 MF Digital ... and Leica M8 (which I talked him into, and now he's a M convert : -)

There are more of us MF digital users than you may think !

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc there all welcome here. We want to build a nice community of shooters here so we have a open arm policy. BTW I love Irakly's work

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Beautiful captures Marc. Like Victor and Son and my good friend Chuck Jones, I'm a believer in the Contax 645 system. I shoot mine on the Aptus 75S and the versatility of being able to use the Hassy lenses with adapter is part of what makes this such a great choice. The cameras are built like tanks and I love not having to deal with menus and submenus to change settings. Great site here Guy, I'm looking forward to being a regular here with many of my other forum friends.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    I shot Contax 645 for many years before (carefully) going to the H system. The Contax 120/4 Macro is still the best of it's type ever made IMO. I had adapters that allowed use of Hasselblad V lenses and Mamiya 645 glass also ( 500/8 Mirror, 24mm fisheye and other weird stuff). It helped fill out needed focal lengths unavailable from Contax.
    The Contax 645 Apo-Makro-Planar T* 4.0/120 is an amazing lens with one slight flaw, flare in strong background light condition. This signature of the 120 macro is commonly shared by other 120 macro lens such as the Rollei 120.

I also thought about putting the Mamiya 645M 24 mm fisheye and the Apo-Tele 2.8/300 onto the Contax body. However, there is no adapter that will do this as far as I know. Thus, I plan to convert these lens into Contax 645 mount since the function will be the same if you put these Mamiya 645M onto the Mamiya AFD II; stopping down aperature manually.

-Son
    ALPA (MAX, STC, TC) | CAMBO (Actus DB2, WRS-AE) | CONTAX | HASSELBLAD | LEICA | DB (CFV-16, CFV-39, IQ180, IQ360, IQ3100, P45+) | Lens (Canon, Fujinon, Leica, Nikon, Pentax, Rodenstock, Schneider, Zeiss)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Marc, and welcome!

Marc and I have known each other from Leica M film days, and he was ultimately *THE* person that convinced me to move to digital. Lots of great talent showing up here and I'm looking forward to learning from all of you!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Beautiful captures Marc. Like Victor and Son and my good friend Chuck Jones, I'm a believer in the Contax 645 system. I shoot mine on the Aptus 75S and the versatility of being able to use the Hassy lenses with adapter is part of what makes this such a great choice. The cameras are built like tanks and I love not having to deal with menus and submenus to change settings. Great site here Guy, I'm looking forward to being a regular here with many of my other forum friends.
    Thank You David bring them over, they are very welcome . For me personally i would love to learn more on the MF stuff, I like to be in the know on all gear. This has been the industry for me for the last 32 years and as a Pro shooter , instructor and now forum owner with Jack we need to learn everything also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Thank You David bring them over, they are very welcome . For me personally i would love to learn more on the MF stuff, I like to be in the know on all gear. This has been the industry for me for the last 32 years and as a Pro shooter , instructor and now forum owner with Jack we need to learn everything also.
    Guy, if you have venture into the medium format world you would make great contribution to the medium format industry as you have done for Leica. Look what Marc have done for Hasselblad and the medium format world. The imacon scanner is known through the work and pioneer of Marc.

-Son
    ALPA (MAX, STC, TC) | CAMBO (Actus DB2, WRS-AE) | CONTAX | HASSELBLAD | LEICA | DB (CFV-16, CFV-39, IQ180, IQ360, IQ3100, P45+) | Lens (Canon, Fujinon, Leica, Nikon, Pentax, Rodenstock, Schneider, Zeiss)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Son , yes having Marc here is a nice bonus for this forum. Not only a extreme talent but a damn nice guy to boot. This kind of talent on our forums is very beneficial for the learning process for all of us.

I would love to see you guy's post a few images in the gallery though, getting tired at looking at some of my stuff. LOL

Go have some fun!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pham Minh Son View Post
    The Contax 645 Apo-Makro-Planar T* 4.0/120 is an amazing lens with one slight flaw, flare in strong background light condition. This signature of the 120 macro is commonly shared by other 120 macro lens such as the Rollei 120.

I also thought about putting the Mamiya 645M 24 mm fisheye and the Apo-Tele 2.8/300 onto the Contax body. However, there is no adapter that will do this as far as I know. Thus, I plan to convert these lens into Contax 645 mount since the function will be the same if you put these Mamiya 645M onto the Mamiya AFD II; stopping down aperature manually.

-Son
    Son, actually there was an adapter made by Novaflex for fitting Mamiya 645 lenses to the Contax system. It is now out of production, but may be possible to find one if you check around. Oh, and for the record, I still shoot both Leica M and also Contax 645 w/ Leaf Aptus 75S, though have decided that for my own business model the MF is just too expensive to support continued investment given the small market I am in down in "Old" Mexico. So am in process of selling the MF gear now and just going to stick with 35mm Digital in the future. Sure looking forward to the R10 also, as I still have my stable of great R glass sitting in my cupboard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Geez finally i dug you out onto the forums. LOL

Nice to see you my friend come play with us

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Chuck
    Where is your stuff listed?
    or just send me an email. I may be interested in some of you equipment, even the back for a friend
    Regards
    Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Jones View Post
    Son, actually there was an adapter made by Novaflex for fitting Mamiya 645 lenses to the Contax system. It is now out of production, but may be possible to find one if you check around. Oh, and for the record, I still shoot both Leica M and also Contax 645 w/ Leaf Aptus 75S, though have decided that for my own business model the MF is just too expensive to support continued investment given the small market I am in down in "Old" Mexico. So am in process of selling the MF gear now and just going to stick with 35mm Digital in the future. Sure looking forward to the R10 also, as I still have my stable of great R glass sitting in my cupboard.
    Chuck,
    I looked for the past 2 years for this adapter to show up but I have not seen the shadow of it yet. Despite I have not seen it it is so hard to imagine how good the adapter is in term of getting the lens to infinity focus since the flange distance for the Mamiya 645M is actually slightly shorter than the Contax 645. Even if it gets to infinity I feel it may not be strong enough for me to put the Apo-Tele 2.8/300 on one end and the Contax 645 and a medium format back on the other end. I hope this adapter will disprove my thought.
    Son

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Geez finally i dug you out onto the forums. LOL

Nice to see you my friend come play with us
    One down and still counting for more. If there is a polarizing poll for posting Guy would be at one end and Chuck would be at the other end. LOL

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Son,
    With you me and Victor in the middle I'm in the middle of redecorating my office and need to move around some stuff before posting pics. Some with the Aptus 75S and some with the Mamia ZD.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Son,
    With you me and Victor in the middle I'm in the middle of redecorating my office and need to move around some stuff before posting pics. Some with the Aptus 75S and some with the Mamia ZD.

David
    David,
    Yes and don't forget Mark Kay he has the Hasselblad medium format system as well.
    Son

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

David K.,

I'll beat you to the punch for ZD images. I shot these with the 645ZD and 80mm "kit" lens in studio with Profoto Pro-7a lights. The third image is a 100% crop of the first shot.

Enjoy.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi everyone. I have registered here after Marc Williams told me about the site. I am interested in sharing information and experiences about MF digital and M8. I use a number of systems ( because I am a gearhead) my favourite - because it is so basic, is my Alpa system with a Leaf Aptus 75 back. Here she is with a Schneider 24mm on - the other lens I use is a 35 Schneider . I haven't found any lenses than can compete in wide with the Schneiders - matched to a MF digi back - it is a dream camera to own and use.
    My main issue I am working on at the moment is what to do with my H1 system - I will either dump the Leaf and switch to Imacon or go with the soon to be released Leaf Afi....
    My other issue is learning to use the Canon wide format printer I got talked into buying - and I am thinking that I should gone with Epson....
    anyway - hello to you all..

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A warm welcome Peter !!!

That ALPA is my absolute dream camera. My Ad Agency Christmas bonus is coming up, and rather than surrendering the captial to Uncle Sammy's finance folks at the IRS, I may finally look into one ... to bad the buck is worthless right now : -(

Take care in the Hy6 consideration. I was told by the head of Leaf service that the AFi is a completely different animal and our Aptus backs won't work on it with just an e-adapter or mount change. There may be an upgrade path later. If it is all different, then the Aptus probably won't work on the APLA.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Peter,

Nice to have you on the forum, though wish you hadn't shown the picture of your Alpa!! LOL ! You have the system I've been contemplating, but am curious as to why you (and Mark I believe) chose Leaf over other backs, especially Phase. Have been a friend with the Phase rep so have been able to see it in action, but also brainwashed to a degree.
    Although a hobbyist, I too am a gearhead of all kinds, and certainly would appreciate any input on the digital back dilemma. At those prices, no one wants to make a mistake. Look forward to seeing some of your work with the Alpa. Many thanks,

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well Marc, it will be interesting to se what leaf have planned...if they are silly with their users then it it wil be a no brainer for me to take my medicine drop the Leaf and switch to Hasselblad - the H1 adaptor plate for an Alpa costs a bundle and whilst Alpa have declared that they will make an AFi adaptor plate - it is a to be made in the future listing on their catalogue...

the more I think about it - the more likely I am to walk into Hasselblad dealer tomorrow and plonk down my cash for a system that actually exists and works....

oh ( editing here) I just noticed your post Jim as I was typing...thanks for your welcome..
    Why Leaf for me?

Firstly as I type today and after checking out Imacon and Phase One recently - I seriously believe that there is little difference between the back re quality of files - this wasnt the case more than a year ago when I bought into Leaf.

Imacon file quality couldnt compare with Leaf OR Phase One back then. Now it is a different story and Imacon have a working MF system in H series that is just great.

I really dislike the arrogant way Hasselblad have cut out H1 and H2 owners and their non Imacon backs - but maybe they had to do this in order to be able to be masters of their own destiny - not having to worry about or stand around waiting for Leaf and Phase One backs to fit into future directions on H series bodies..whatever the reason(s) the line in the sand has been drawn...

So now I think you can choose any MF back and get great results - and the standout ( total solution) is ImaFujiBlad...today.

Early adopters like me have to take this reality on the chin and move on..or out...

re Alpa - if you want a highly portable digi and film solution whose only power requirements are the digi back - and you like shooting wide - check it out..dont hold your breath waiting for anyone to match the digi specked LF wides from Schneider or Rodenstock..Alpa is a wide angle camera as far as I am concerned..and a gear fondler's ultimate toy - LOL
    Last edited by PeterA; 10th November 2007 at 20:28.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Peter, and great to have you here! That Alpa sure is sexy. Maybe if I sold a kidney on eBay...

Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

G'day Jack - hope you and yours are well - good job you guys are doing here.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Peter,

Thanks for the quick reply. I shoot mostly landscapes so wide is wonderful for me. And, as Jack has already said, the Alpa IS very sexy !! IF I jump off this bridge, I'll probably stick to Phase One since I have a "built in" tutor and already have C 1 software.

I agree on the Hassy, not sure I like their closed ways, but guess if it works so be it. Didn't mention before, but also have a Contax 645 with a few lenses, so that plays into the decision.

Jack and Guy,

Am afraid all of your advice may go out the window!! But I can get by with only one kidney......I hope !

Jim

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LOL! Man-o-man ... the Kidney Bank is going to be flush thanks to Peter A ( hey Pete does the A stand for ALPA? ...as in, that's your last name : -)

I agree with Peter. I honestly don't think there is much difference in the files from all these top level digital backs anymore. Each system has it's own slight design advantages ... like how the Phase One integrates the battery into the body of the back, or the huge LCD tap screen of the Aptus and their wifi set up... or Sinar's integrated memory if you need it, and Hasselblad's grip battery solution that eliminates aux batteries altogether.

I have and use the Aptus 75s, as well as the H3D/39 & H3D/31. In my real job as an ad agency creative director, I've been on shoots where the photographer was using Phase One P-45 or Sinar also. So I've seen all of them intensely in action. Phase and Hasselblad use the same Kodak sensors, while Leaf and Sinar use the same Dalsa sensors. So no surprise they are getting similar results in the hands of experts.

I REALLY believe the main difference now is in the dealer you select, and to a lesser degree what you are used to for processing. Hasselblad is moving to a totally integrated DSLR like a Canon which includes some interesting software advancement that take advantage of that increased communication between all systems elements.
    The new "Phocus" software and it's attendant firmware upgrades look very promising.

So Jim, I'd say the path you are considering is a sound one. You have a dealer you can trust and work with, Phase One supports the Contax 645, and you are already famililar with Capture One.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We may need to start an Alpa owners club - maybe we can let Alpa know and get some group discounts! LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Man that Alpa is just flat out sexy looking. i knew i should stay out of this section of the forum. I have no kidneys left already

Post Thanks / Like

The alpa looks like a great system. WHich model is that in the photo? What is the difference in ease of use with the XY?.

Jack.. selling a piece of liver is a better idea.. it will regenerate to original size !

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh so i can sell the liver too. Okay hook me up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh so i can sell the liver too. Okay hook me up.
    Uh, I suspect YOUR liver may be worthless...

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very funny Gus and Jack!

mark pictured is the 12 with shift - I dont use the shift function.
    the XY is a tripod mount only system and perfect for making stitched shots and panoramas.

the Alpa system is about matching teh best Wide angle glas to your choice of caprure medium - without any automation or bells and whistles that a studied shot does nto require.

Cheers
    PeterA

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I just got a Mamiya AFD and I am interested in the Zeiss adapter you mention. Would you be able to let me know, where you can get such an adapter and what the name of it is ( or product code etc).
    Thanks.
    Volker

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Volker.

I found it on e-bay:

http://search.ebay.com/Hasselblad-Ma...ageNameZRC0021

I bought the less expensive one made in Japan ... and it works fine. The Fotodiox one is a lot more money. I don't know if it is better made, but it functionally doesn't do anything more than the less expensive one.

You lose the aperture coupling, and will have to stop down meter and shoot ... but you gain focus confirmation in the viewfinder and a maximum shutter speed of 1/4000th for shooting wide-open in bright light with lenses like the Zeiss 110/2F or FE for example. If this is the only use you will have for the Zeiss lenses, you can buy 200 series F lenses for a LOT less money than the FE versions. All C, CF, CFi CFE, F and FE lenses will work.

I recommend V lenses like the F or FE 50/2.8, 110/2, 150/2.8 and 65/3.5 CFi, 100/3.5 CFi, 180/4 CFi. Tip: when using this adapter, be sure any Zeiss lens is cocked after removing it from the adapter before using it on a Hasselblad camera.

I also swapped out the Mamiya 645 focusing screen for one with a split microprism screen to facilitate manual focusing of V lenses ... which is available from Mamiya through B&H, etc. It still retains AF ability with Mamiya AF lenses.

Pretty sexy set up IMO.
    Last edited by fotografz; 15th April 2008 at 06:43.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Wahooo!!! MF Digital

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Hi Volker.

I found it on e-bay:

http://search.ebay.com/Hasselblad-Ma...ageNameZRC0021

I bought the less expensive one made in Japan ... and it works fine. The Fotodiox one is a lot more money. I don't know if it is better made, but it functionally doesn't do anything more than the less expensive one.

You lose the aperture coupling, and will have to stop down meter and shoot ... but you gain focus confirmation in the viewfinder and a maximum shutter speed of 1/4000th for shooting wide-open in bright light with lenses like the Zeiss 110/2F or FE for example. If this is the only use you will have for the Zeiss lenses, you can buy 200 series F lenses for a LOT less money than the FE versions. All C, CF, CFi CFE, F and FE lenses will work.

I recommend V lenses like the F or FE 50/2.8, 110/2, 150/2.8 and 65/3.5 CFi, 100/3.5 CFi, 180/4 CFi. Tip: when using this adapter, be sure any Zeiss lens is cocked after removing it from the adapter before using it on a Hasselblad camera.

I also swapped out the Mamiya 645 focusing screen for one with a split microprism screen to facilitate manual focusing of V lenses ... which is available from Mamiya through B&H, etc. It still retains AF ability with Mamiya AF lenses.

Pretty sexy set up IMO.
    Thank you very much, this is great info for me. I have lost touch with MF and have to buildt upo some knowledge!
    Your equipment really looks sexy - mouthwatering!