The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DF+ lens compatibility

I was wondering if anyone could explain which Mamiya 645 (and Hasselblad V and Pentacon 6) lenses are compatible with the Phase One / Mamiya DF+ body and what (if any) limitations there are for the various versions that have been made over the years?

Thanks! J R

(P.S., this is for use with a P40+ back.)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I use the DF vs the DF+ but I have yet to run in to any issues with any older manual focus 645 lenses with this body. You will need to manually stop down to meter the lens as there is no coupling and they are essentially passive.

I was able to do the same thing with Pentacon 6 glass via a mamiya 645 adapter. My first Hartblei Super Rotator was in pentacon 6 mount and it worked fine.

Regarding the Mamiya and Phase One AF lenses, they should all work be they original AF, D or LS.

I haven't tried any of the V glass with the adapter but I'd expect the same behavior.

The only time I've ever had a problem was when Phase One screwed up a firmware release a while back with the DF body which wouldn't allow a non AF lens to work on the camera at all. (1.18 I think?). They fixed it and certainly 1.25 works as I described above.

Thanks Graham.

FYI, I just found the following list on Specular: Phase One 645DF+ camera system :

Phase One 645DF lens compatibility
What lenses are compatible with the Phase One 645DF? Lenses with native operation (auto-diaphragm and autofocus)
Schneider Leaf Shutter Lenses
Schneider Kreuznach 28mm f4.5 LS
Schneider Kreuznach 55mm f2.8 LS
Schneider Kreuznach 80mm f2.8 LS
Schneider Kreuznach 110mm f2.8 LS
Schneider Kreuznach 150mm f3.5 LS
Schneider Kreuznach 75-150mm LS
Schneider Kreuznach 240mm LS
Schneider other Lenses
Schneider-Kreuznach PC-TS Apo-Digitar 5.6/120 HM Aspheric lens
Phase One Digital Series (focal plane) lenses
Phase One 28mm f4.5 D
Phase One 35mm f3.5 D
Phase One 45mm f2.8 D
Phase One 80mm f2.8 D
Phase One MF 120mm Macro f4 D
Phase One AF 120mm Macro f4 D
Phase One 150mm f2.8 D
Phase One 75-150mm Sekor f4.5 D
Mamiya 645 AFD lenses
Mamiya Sekor AF 28mm Sekor f4.5 D Aspherical
Mamiya AF 35mm f3.5 D
Mamiya AF 35mm f3.5
Mamiya AF 45mm f2.8
Mamiya Sekor AF 45mm f2.8 D
Mamiya AF 55mm f2.8
Mamiya Sekor AF 80mm f2.8 D
Mamiya AF 80mm f2.8
Mamiya Sekor MF 120mm Macro f4 D
Mamiya Sekor MF 120mm Macro f4
Mamiya AF 150mm f3.5
Mamiya Sekor AF 150mm f2.8 D
Mamiya AF ULD 210mm f4 IF
Mamiya AF APO 300mm f4.5 IF
Mamiya AF 55-110mm f4.5
Mamiya Sekor Zoom AF 75-150mm f4.5 D
Mamiya AF 105-210mm f4.5 ULD
Lenses that require manual stop down
Mamiya manual format lenses including 50mm shift lens and 80mm f1.9 portrait lens
Hasselblad 500 series lenses
Hasselblad 200 series lenses (including the infamous 110mm f2)
Hartblei Super-Rotator 45mm tilt-shift lens
Pentacon 6 series lenses with purchase of adapter

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Lenses that require manual stop down
Mamiya manual format lenses including 50mm shift lens and 80mm f1.9 portrait lens
Hasselblad 500 series lenses
Hasselblad 200 series lenses (including the infamous 110mm f2)
Ha! Phase One copied and pasted a list I made while at CI. The specific references to the 50S and 80/1.9 and the specifically phrased "infamous" 110/2 could not be a coincidence. I'm flattered!

Other manual-aperture lenses worth noting:
- Mamiya 500/2.8 (big and $$$)
- Mamiya 140mm Soft Focus
- Mamiya 24mm fisheye

Also, any other lens, like Leica Photar microscope lenses or Canon L series lenses like the Canon 85/1.2, can be attached using the Auto Bellows or other mechanical adapter, with the additional large caveat that they may not focus at infinity depending on design and focal length (symmetric lenses less than 80ish mm long will not focus at infinity on the shortest available adapters) and they may not cover the full frame of the sensor (leading to vignette or pure black in the corners).

gerald.d

That reminds me. I must ask the good folk at Alpa if they'd be willing to knock me up an FD adapter for the FPS :D

Would LOVE to get an 85/1.2 on the IQ180.

MB100

gerald.d good luck with that, I found f/2.8 and f/1.4 to be damn hard on the Hartblei, I can only imagine that much more....the Mamiya 80mm f/1.9N seems to be my limit for MFDB at least in terms of easy use, especially with the IQ focus mask. Focus confirmation is good but it may be hard for the OP to confirm focus with the P40+ in this situation.