The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What's In Your Wallet?

rga

Curious as to what strength neutral density filters folks carry around with them for landscapes. I am going to purchase some 77mm Schneider MPTV ND filters (which are stackable I believe) and figuring out which to buy.

So curious as to which most folks prefer (and if you use a polarizing filter with your favorite ND filters would be very helpful to know...).

Thanks in advance,
Bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I use the Tiffen ones that include IR blocking since IR contamination seems to be more significant with longer exposures.
Densities, well usually I carry a 3 and a 6 stop.
-bob

rga

I use the Tiffen ones that include IR blocking since IR contamination seems to be more significant with longer exposures.
Densities, well usually I carry a 3 and a 6 stop.
-bob
Thanks Bob. Do you usually carry/use a polarizer too?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Bob. Do you usually carry/use a polarizer too?
I used to, but found that I just didn't use it much. I dislike what it does to sky with wides, but occasionally will carry it if I think I might want to kill reflections from either water or fall foliage.
-bob

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
What's in my wallet? First thoughts were a gaping hole where the money used to be before I moved to medium format digital :ROTFL:

As regards filters, for ND work I have a LEE outfit and a Tiffen IRND outfit that I use depending upon the system I'm shooting.

For DSLR I have a pair of 77mm & 82mm 1.8 & 2.1 IRND filters. I can stack these with a 77-82mm step up to avoid vignetting with wides and 13 stops give me normally enough filtration for daylight long exposures. I also have some 67, 72, 77mm polarizers that I may use with the various Phase One/Mamiya glass or to add another couple of stops for daylight long exposures too.

For tech cameras, I prefer to use the LEE system and so for that I carry a Big Stopper & 0.9 ND that I can stack with a gaffer tape seal around it for 13 stops if needed. It's just more convenient to put on and off between shots when shooting LCCs vs threading filters on/off.

I'm also a traditionalist and have LEE 1, 2, 3 GNDs in hard & soft, 3 stop reverse grad and a LEE polarizer all in a Kenesis filter pouch.

Shashin

My favorite ND filter for long daylight exposures is the Hoya NDX400 9-stop filter. It is dark enough to make 30 second - 1 minute exposures in the bright sun and light enough to see though the optical viewfinder. The IR contamination is easily controlled--my B+W ND filters have much stronger IR contamination.

kdphotography

For landscape on the Cambo, I keep a 4 stop Singh Ray 4x6 filter as well as a 3 stop reverse grad. in my bag. I have a Singh Ray LB Polarizer but it's rarely used. I often use a Singh Ray LB Color Intensifier and find it acts as a polarizer for a bit of pop.

Still considering a 10 stop ND. The Lee Big Stopper is on intergalactic backorder, but I notice that Singh Ray now offers a 10 stop ND.... :D

anGy

Regarding hard/soft GND, which ones are the most useful for mixed nature and urban landscapes ?
I like the effect on skies but am really not in love with the darkened subjects higher than horizon level. (Darkened tree tops, buildings, etc once detected are taking my attention too much).