Site Sponsors

Thread: Just A Phase I was going through

Post Thanks / Like

Just A Phase I was going through

Well... after nearly a month of the frustrations of two DOA lenses and several chargers later, I now have a fully functional P45+ / Phamiya system. The replacement 80mm F2.8 seems sharper at the edges at F2.8 than the original one was at F5 and has a lovely sweet spot at around F7.1

So finally I'm more or less in love and learning the ropes has become a pleasure. There's little as thrilling as zooming in on screen or making a large print and finding all sorts of tiny details and careful tonal graduations and at ISO 50 the results are stunning. So next to deal with is the acquisition of a 28mm Mammy and the 45MM Phase /Hartblei I have on order. If I could only work out why C1 keeps crashing on Out Of Memory when it's running on a virgin 8 core Mac Xeon with 8 gig of RAM I'd be truly happy...

So THANKS to everyone for your advice and hand holding. The grumpy bit was just a phase...

Tim

Here's one from today:

Attachment 9590

Larger version here:

http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/img/v4/p818215195.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Just A Phase I was going through

Tim, I'm glad to hear this --- I was about to suggest you take up golf!

Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Tim, I'm glad to hear this --- I was about to suggest you take up golf!

Jack, if you ever see me with (or in) a golf club you have my full permission to bake my P45+ back in an oven with a pie, use it to jack up a 4WD car or freeze it using liquid nitrogen...

;-)

Tim

jmvdigital

Tim-

For the "out of memory" issue with C1... does this have anything to do with the issue I've seen Doug @ Capture Integration posting about in the past? Something about restarting the mac, and starting C1 as the first app. I believe it's an issue with the way OS X allocates memory, but your issue could be something totally different. Do a quick search on here.

-J

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Could also be crashing because of the version of OS X you are running. I had a similar issue until I upgraded to the latest version of OS X.

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post
    Could also be crashing because of the version of OS X you are running. I had a similar issue until I upgraded to the latest version of OS X.

Kurt
    Thanks Kurt but the machine is new and all versions of everything are new...

:-(

Post Thanks / Like

Funny how a Hy6 user could have a few problems and Sinar/Leaf/Rollei is crucified on this forum to the point where the Sinar rep who provided real help and answers either left or was asked to leave, and a Mamiya phase user has REAL problems with lenses etc and not just user errors and its laughed off like nothing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tim,

I have a new career idea for you ... Phase product tester. It doesn't go out until it passes the Tim test. You need to make some lemonade out of all of the lemons you've been getting.

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like

WAIT
    sorry to hijack the thread
    but I'm having a hard time running 4.5 on my mac pro as well, specially frustrating as it runs quite smoothly on both of my macbook pro's...
    I have a 8 core 2.8 with 10 gigs of ram, 10.5.5 and plenty of space on the booth drive!
    what gives.....
    thanks in advance
    am

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just to clarify, you should be running C1Pro 4.5.1 or 4.5.2 for best stability on a Mac. Also, you should follow the online instructions for completely purging 4.5.0 or earlier from your system and do a fresh install of the new. There are still some issues with stability, especially with high horsepower MacPros, but they are not universally affecting all MacPros. Fortunately, CaptureOne is working on resolving those issues.

Cheers,
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jmvdigital View Post
    Tim-

For the "out of memory" issue with C1... does this have anything to do with the issue I've seen Doug @ Capture Integration posting about in the past? Something about restarting the mac, and starting C1 as the first app. I believe it's an issue with the way OS X allocates memory, but your issue could be something totally different. Do a quick search on here.

-J
    Hi Justin,

Thanks for the tip - I'll have a look. But you know what, even if it works I have to say that nothing else is crashing this often by a long way...

The great bind we find ourselves in is that it's so easy for issues like this to be 'unpinnable down' on any one factor, because there are so many complex potential cofactors. In the end you have to follow your nose and my nose tells me that C1 for Mac is less stable, more 'beta' in nature, than PS or LR or Aperture. What is problematic about this is that it is vital to use it to get the right quality out of the back. It's frustrating for sure...

t

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EH21 View Post
    Funny how a Hy6 user could have a few problems and Sinar/Leaf/Rollei is crucified on this forum to the point where the Sinar rep who provided real help and answers either left or was asked to leave, and a Mamiya phase user has REAL problems with lenses etc and not just user errors and its laughed off like nothing.
    I wasn't aware of that episode - and I have to say that the guys from Capture Integration on here have been really helpful to me but I agree with what you say to an extent. I am now more settled with my system because, with the exception of the software, it's kind of working. But IMHO (and notwithstanding my two years of blood, sweat and tears in getting all my Leica M stuff tuned) it isn't acceptable to sell stuff at this price point that has so many glitches. The trouble is, those prepared to produce at the leading edge are often smaller, dedicated outfits with a vision and also with some of the scale issues that make production problematic.

On the other hand it appears that if I want the quality of results, I have few options.

You pays your money and you takes your chance, as we Brits say...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post
    Tim,

I have a new career idea for you ... Phase product tester. It doesn't go out until it passes the Tim test. You need to make some lemonade out of all of the lemons you've been getting.

Kurt
    Kurt, I can suck it up, lemons and all. Nearly two years ago I noticed that my M series 35mm lenses were suffering focus shift. Even after I got Leica to admit to me that this was a) true and b) characteristic of the design, I had a whole load of grief from people who just didn't want to believe it... so GetDPI is a bit of a relief because hereabouts at least people offer a shoulder to cry on and good advice when things work out c**p!

:-)

t

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arashm View Post
    WAIT
    sorry to hijack the thread
    but I'm having a hard time running 4.5 on my mac pro as well, specially frustrating as it runs quite smoothly on both of my macbook pro's...
    I have a 8 core 2.8 with 10 gigs of ram, 10.5.5 and plenty of space on the booth drive!
    what gives.....
    thanks in advance
    am
    Exactly my experience - I can even run it more reliably on a macbook air than on the pro. I will follow Jack's 'purge and replace' suggestions - or rather, I would if I could find out where the methodology is posted on Phase's stellar website...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by EH21 View Post
    The haters are just jealous because they can't afford it.

...like me

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The bottom line on C1 is you really need to go in and dump and I mean get rid of every bit you can find from a previous version and than load 4.5.2. I have yet to have one glitch on my MacPro or MBP. But seriously I went through my whole system twice on the desktop than after all was loaded and running I cloned the whole OS to the MBP.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dolce Moda View Post
    The haters are just jealous because they can't afford it.

...like me
    Far from it , just did not like the interface and controls at all on the HY6. Not my type of body , I like more DSLR feel. Almost the same reason I don't care for the Hassy H3 although that body fit me better.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Jack, Guy and all
    Thank you for the suggestions.
    just to clarify, I did follow the "dump and purge" line by line, and it was still not working properly, so I resorted to a complete wipe and re-instal of the OS and the apps, I didn't even instal 3.7, yet still 4.5.2 either crashes on me ( like several times in one afternoon) or just bugs down to the point that I get the beach ball of death for a few seconds every time I change something small or try to go to the next image. The only remedy at this point is to quit and restart the machine!
    This is only on my Mac Pro, as mentioned the two Macbook pro's have been give or take fine since day one, and this is where the frustration stems from.
    and just for the record, the mac pro runs everything else (LR, PS, Phocus, photomechanic) with-out a hitch, so I don't think it's the machine!
    I'm not complaining
    just sharing my experience.
    Thank you all
    am

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm wondering if another program is affecting this like Phocus for instance and/or photomechanic. Neither one Jack or I have on our machines. Something is obviously causing a glitch here. May have to call on Doug at CI. I will actually see Lance tomorrow and mention this also. Hopefully we can find a solution , this just sounds wrong. I am going to assume you are running the latest Mac OS 10.5.5 since I know there are some issues with early Mac OS versions.

I just went through about 600 images i shot today too and all was well. Hate saying that since you are having issues and no comfort for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You know it maybe wise to actually clone the MBP on a external firewire using Super duper or carbon copy. Than boot from that on your desktop and zero out you main hard drive on the desktop and than clone the MPB clone over to the desktop. That should clear it up in a heart beat if the MBP is fine. I do this a lot. But before you do that clone your existing hard drive on another partition in case all goes wrong. Which is very rare.

To me this actually sounds more like a Mac OS issue than anything else on your desktop

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Seems the times when Macs were allways running more stable than PCs are over

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    You know it maybe wise to actually clone the MBP on a external firewire using Super duper or carbon copy. Than boot from that on your desktop and zero out you main hard drive on the desktop and than clone the MPB clone over to the desktop. That should clear it up in a heart beat if the MBP is fine. I do this a lot. But before you do that clone your existing hard drive on another partition in case all goes wrong. Which is very rare.

To me this actually sounds more like a Mac OS issue than anything else on your desktop

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, computer programs and stability of OS and software seem to come in waves. For example, C1 3.7 and OS 10.4.11 are very stable. But recent upgrades (Leopard, C1 4) have been causing all sorts of issues - and the period of the past year or two where the OS was rock solid has been changed.

I'm sure Apple will straighten it out - rumor has it the next upgrade is a simpler OS, without the complexities of the present Leopard. I've stayed with 10.4.11, so that Imageprint, C1 and all the others still work without hassle. Sometimes its just fine to stay off the cutting edge.

Geoff

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I hear you Geoff, A Adobe raw update hosed my MBP a while back and spread over to my desktop back when we did the Carmel workshop and I had a lot of trouble afterward. I finally cleaned the whole system and reloaded. This time with CS4 I threw everything Adobe off my system and I mean everything before installing CS4 and a new version of Acrobat Pro. Same with C1 i cleaned the whole system and there are files in places that you would not expect also. Just a while back there was a big issue with Phocus and Aperture on the Macs and many issues where reported here. Seems some of these things are more OS issues. I guess as these OS systems keep getting bloated with more stuff we see this more often now. I agree this gets frustrating and when I had a windows box I had more troubles than I care to think about which made me sell it all and move to Mac. It's been a good move but not without some issues also

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW Tim glad everything seems to have settled down. These systems and I don't care which one you pick there are some growing pains to learning the system and getting things straightened out but seems like your dealer was very helpful and one reason i like having a good dealer.

jmvdigital

Quote Originally Posted by arashm View Post
    This is only on my Mac Pro, as mentioned the two Macbook pro's have been give or take fine since day one, and this is where the frustration stems from.and just for the record, the mac pro runs everything else (LR, PS, Phocus, photomechanic) with-out a hitch, so I don't think it's the machine!
    There may not be anything "wrong" with the machine, but it doesn't sound like it's necessarily a software problem you can fix right now either. Especially not since you did a total wipe. After the wipe, was it a fresh install of EVERYTHING, or did you use an external drive to "archive and update" type of thing where OS X pulls back in your users and settings? Are you running the same version of OS X on both the Mac Pro and MBP (10.5.5 being the latest)? You could try what Guy suggested with the cloning business.

My gut feeling is that if you're:
    1.) up-to-date on all software updates (C1, OS X, drivers, etc.)
    2.) not running other apps at the same time (e.g., Safari is known to bog down LR and CS3 for an unknown reason)
    3.) unplug all external devices and drives you don't need (for now, just to see)
    4.) have run some sort of harddrive utility just for sh*ts (e.g., Disk Warrior)
    5.) running OS X 10.5.5 on both the MBP and MP
    6.) accessing the same photos from the same drive for both machines
    6.) and there are no other differences between your MBP system and your MP system that you can think of

...it's got to be the hardware differences with MacPro machine. I don't mean anything is wrong with the machine, but that there is some sort of driver or hardware compatibility or bug issue between it and C1. The most likely culprit may be the graphics card and drivers. They can cause all sorts of problems in graphics intense applications, and for whatever reason is plaguing only C1 and your system. This is why you want to try shutting down as many apps and external devices and drives you can when you have these types of unexplainable problems. It could even be something silly like a Wacom tablet driver causing the hangs. I dunno, just some suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

Just in case you couldn't find the Knowledge Base article on how to completely remove Capture One 4, here is a link:

http://phaseone.com/HOME/Content/Sup...ite%20-%20Main

Chris Lawery
    Sales Manager
    [email protected]
    Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National Atlanta / Miami
    404-234-5195 | Cell

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

You could try creating a new account and installing there, before doing a full reinstall, in case you were thinking of doing another.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like

Justin, Guy and all thanks for the reply
    just to provide some feedback on your post...
    My MacPro is strictly a photo station, there is no other random apps on it, basically CS, LR, Phocus, C1, photomechanic.
    when I did the reinstal, I zero'd out the disk, then installed os and then installed the above SW as a clean new instal and activation.
    The machine has all the current updates and is running the latest os and updates for all the mentioned programs. Ironically it's my main laptop that has all sorts of random software, movies, music.... and cr*p on it, and is used most for surfing and emailing and forum reading (it's a pro activity you know ).
    I have also both times tried running Disk Utility and it always checks out clean. But the symptoms of the problem are always the same!
    Guy I like your idea of making a copy of the MBP and then running it on the MP to see if it works, I will try that soon, but it's a busy this week. (or I'm going to snap and stay up late one night and do it lol I'm so glad I'm amoungst people who understand) Also I'm glad to hear that your machine is behaving, motivates me to get to the bottom of it.
    Justin I have from time to time wondered if it's a video card issue, but no other software seems to indicate that. And yes I wouldn't for a second be surprised if it is something as silly as the Wacom Tablet driver or a PS plug in time code or something.
    Oh well, back to work
    thank you
    am

carbonmetrictree

I love that image!

Post Thanks / Like

Andrew - I really like your work, and I spent a long time at your site. Some of the 'Light Respirations' are beguiling images.

............. Chris