The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Just A Phase I was going through

tashley

Subscriber Member
Well... after nearly a month of the frustrations of two DOA lenses and several chargers later, I now have a fully functional P45+ / Phamiya system. The replacement 80mm F2.8 seems sharper at the edges at F2.8 than the original one was at F5 and has a lovely sweet spot at around F7.1

So finally I'm more or less in love and learning the ropes has become a pleasure. There's little as thrilling as zooming in on screen or making a large print and finding all sorts of tiny details and careful tonal graduations and at ISO 50 the results are stunning. So next to deal with is the acquisition of a 28mm Mammy and the 45MM Phase /Hartblei I have on order. If I could only work out why C1 keeps crashing on Out Of Memory when it's running on a virgin 8 core Mac Xeon with 8 gig of RAM I'd be truly happy...

So THANKS to everyone for your advice and hand holding. The grumpy bit was just a phase...

Tim

Here's one from today:

View attachment 9590

Larger version here:

http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/img/v4/p818215195.jpg

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Tim, I'm glad to hear this --- I was about to suggest you take up golf!

;),

tashley

Subscriber Member
Tim, I'm glad to hear this --- I was about to suggest you take up golf!

;),
Jack, if you ever see me with (or in) a golf club you have my full permission to bake my P45+ back in an oven with a pie, use it to jack up a 4WD car or freeze it using liquid nitrogen...

;-)

Tim

J

jmvdigital

Tim-

For the "out of memory" issue with C1... does this have anything to do with the issue I've seen Doug @ Capture Integration posting about in the past? Something about restarting the mac, and starting C1 as the first app. I believe it's an issue with the way OS X allocates memory, but your issue could be something totally different. Do a quick search on here.

-J

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Could also be crashing because of the version of OS X you are running. I had a similar issue until I upgraded to the latest version of OS X.

Kurt

tashley

Subscriber Member
Could also be crashing because of the version of OS X you are running. I had a similar issue until I upgraded to the latest version of OS X.

Kurt
Thanks Kurt but the machine is new and all versions of everything are new...

:-(

EH21

Funny how a Hy6 user could have a few problems and Sinar/Leaf/Rollei is crucified on this forum to the point where the Sinar rep who provided real help and answers either left or was asked to leave, and a Mamiya phase user has REAL problems with lenses etc and not just user errors and its laughed off like nothing.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Tim,

I have a new career idea for you ... Phase product tester. It doesn't go out until it passes the Tim test. You need to make some lemonade out of all of the lemons you've been getting. ;)

Kurt

arashm

WAIT
sorry to hijack the thread
but I'm having a hard time running 4.5 on my mac pro as well, specially frustrating as it runs quite smoothly on both of my macbook pro's...
I have a 8 core 2.8 with 10 gigs of ram, 10.5.5 and plenty of space on the booth drive!
what gives.....
thanks in advance
am

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Just to clarify, you should be running C1Pro 4.5.1 or 4.5.2 for best stability on a Mac. Also, you should follow the online instructions for completely purging 4.5.0 or earlier from your system and do a fresh install of the new. There are still some issues with stability, especially with high horsepower MacPros, but they are not universally affecting all MacPros. Fortunately, CaptureOne is working on resolving those issues.

Cheers,

tashley

Subscriber Member
Tim-

For the "out of memory" issue with C1... does this have anything to do with the issue I've seen Doug @ Capture Integration posting about in the past? Something about restarting the mac, and starting C1 as the first app. I believe it's an issue with the way OS X allocates memory, but your issue could be something totally different. Do a quick search on here.

-J
Hi Justin,

Thanks for the tip - I'll have a look. But you know what, even if it works I have to say that nothing else is crashing this often by a long way...

The great bind we find ourselves in is that it's so easy for issues like this to be 'unpinnable down' on any one factor, because there are so many complex potential cofactors. In the end you have to follow your nose and my nose tells me that C1 for Mac is less stable, more 'beta' in nature, than PS or LR or Aperture. What is problematic about this is that it is vital to use it to get the right quality out of the back. It's frustrating for sure...

t

tashley

Subscriber Member
Funny how a Hy6 user could have a few problems and Sinar/Leaf/Rollei is crucified on this forum to the point where the Sinar rep who provided real help and answers either left or was asked to leave, and a Mamiya phase user has REAL problems with lenses etc and not just user errors and its laughed off like nothing.
I wasn't aware of that episode - and I have to say that the guys from Capture Integration on here have been really helpful to me but I agree with what you say to an extent. I am now more settled with my system because, with the exception of the software, it's kind of working. But IMHO (and notwithstanding my two years of blood, sweat and tears in getting all my Leica M stuff tuned) it isn't acceptable to sell stuff at this price point that has so many glitches. The trouble is, those prepared to produce at the leading edge are often smaller, dedicated outfits with a vision and also with some of the scale issues that make production problematic.

On the other hand it appears that if I want the quality of results, I have few options.

You pays your money and you takes your chance, as we Brits say...

tashley

Subscriber Member
Tim,

I have a new career idea for you ... Phase product tester. It doesn't go out until it passes the Tim test. You need to make some lemonade out of all of the lemons you've been getting. ;)

Kurt
Kurt, I can suck it up, lemons and all. Nearly two years ago I noticed that my M series 35mm lenses were suffering focus shift. Even after I got Leica to admit to me that this was a) true and b) characteristic of the design, I had a whole load of grief from people who just didn't want to believe it... so GetDPI is a bit of a relief because hereabouts at least people offer a shoulder to cry on and good advice when things work out c**p!

:)

t

tashley

Subscriber Member
WAIT
sorry to hijack the thread
but I'm having a hard time running 4.5 on my mac pro as well, specially frustrating as it runs quite smoothly on both of my macbook pro's...
I have a 8 core 2.8 with 10 gigs of ram, 10.5.5 and plenty of space on the booth drive!
what gives.....
thanks in advance
am
Exactly my experience - I can even run it more reliably on a macbook air than on the pro. I will follow Jack's 'purge and replace' suggestions - or rather, I would if I could find out where the methodology is posted on Phase's stellar website...

Dolce Moda

The haters are just jealous because they can't afford it.:lecture:

...like me :(

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The bottom line on C1 is you really need to go in and dump and I mean get rid of every bit you can find from a previous version and than load 4.5.2. I have yet to have one glitch on my MacPro or MBP. But seriously I went through my whole system twice on the desktop than after all was loaded and running I cloned the whole OS to the MBP.

Guy Mancuso

The haters are just jealous because they can't afford it.:lecture:

...like me :(
Far from it , just did not like the interface and controls at all on the HY6. Not my type of body , I like more DSLR feel. Almost the same reason I don't care for the Hassy H3 although that body fit me better.

arashm

Jack, Guy and all
Thank you for the suggestions.
just to clarify, I did follow the "dump and purge" line by line, and it was still not working properly, so I resorted to a complete wipe and re-instal of the OS and the apps, I didn't even instal 3.7, yet still 4.5.2 either crashes on me ( like several times in one afternoon) or just bugs down to the point that I get the beach ball of death for a few seconds every time I change something small or try to go to the next image. The only remedy at this point is to quit and restart the machine!
This is only on my Mac Pro, as mentioned the two Macbook pro's have been give or take fine since day one, and this is where the frustration stems from.
and just for the record, the mac pro runs everything else (LR, PS, Phocus, photomechanic) with-out a hitch, so I don't think it's the machine!
I'm not complaining :)
just sharing my experience.
Thank you all
am

Guy Mancuso

I'm wondering if another program is affecting this like Phocus for instance and/or photomechanic. Neither one Jack or I have on our machines. Something is obviously causing a glitch here. May have to call on Doug at CI. I will actually see Lance tomorrow and mention this also. Hopefully we can find a solution , this just sounds wrong. I am going to assume you are running the latest Mac OS 10.5.5 since I know there are some issues with early Mac OS versions.

I just went through about 600 images i shot today too and all was well. Hate saying that since you are having issues and no comfort for you.

Guy Mancuso

You know it maybe wise to actually clone the MBP on a external firewire using Super duper or carbon copy. Than boot from that on your desktop and zero out you main hard drive on the desktop and than clone the MPB clone over to the desktop. That should clear it up in a heart beat if the MBP is fine. I do this a lot. But before you do that clone your existing hard drive on another partition in case all goes wrong. Which is very rare.

To me this actually sounds more like a Mac OS issue than anything else on your desktop