The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rodenstock 40mm f4 Alpagon

vjbelle

I see very little feedback regarding this lens. The 32 gets all of the press and although its probably a wonderful lens its just too wide for me.... the 40 would be the widest I would want to go and all in all it should be slightly better with edge performance than the 32... all of this on an IQ 180 back. Would really appreciate any feedback regarding this lens. As a side note I own the Schneider 60mm Digitar which is just a superb performer edge to edge and matches 35mm FF lenses for horizontal view. I recently compared it to my Zeiss F2 35mm on a Nikon 800e and the difference was so astounding that I almost couldn't believe what I was seeing. Many artifacts in the Zeiss lens probably from chroma but very disturbing. All of this stuff becomes additive and when you print to 40 inches it really adds up.

Thanks for any reponse......

Victor

goesbang

I have a 40 Alpagon in a short barrel mount and an IQ180. I haven't had it long enough to have tons of experience with it, but I've shot a couple of jobs in Abu Dhabi, Doha, Kuala Lumpur and some personal stuff in Immensee, Switzerland to have a reasonable handle on it.
As one would expect of a new generation Rodenstock HR, it is superbly sharp. The Schneider 35XL that it replaces in my kit is noticeably slightly less sharp and tends to fall off from the centre quite quickly. My main reason for replacing it though is that the 35mm has a max of 4-6mm of usable shift due to the massive amount of lenscast with the 80MP sensor. Where my 60MP P65+ was useable with up to 10-12mm shift, the 80MP is not. With the 40mm Alpagon, I am back in the 10-12mm shift zone and LCC in C1 7 cleans up the files nicely. The 40 is a little bulky and a little heavy compared to the 35XL, but in my view, the performance is worth the penalty. I could have got the 32, but it is too close to the lens I use most, the 23HR Alpagon, and as I have my gear on my back for 8-12hrs a day on shoots (and no pet gorrilla to lug it), the 40, being much lighter than the 32, is a choice I am happy with. Also, the 32 with a centre grad (in my view essential with this lens) is so large, that mounting filters starts to become problematic. The 40's much smaller front element is a breeze.
To date, my observations of lenscast and falloff with this lens has me happy to use it without a centre-grad (I'm not sure if there's one available for it yet anyway). I certainly wouldn't dream of using my 23 without the CF.
Unless I am mistaken, the 40 is also the widest lens you can use with the new short barrel tilt adapter, which I view as essential for my purposes. I havent received my tilt adapter yet but will post about this when I do.

Last edited:

vjbelle

Thanks so much for your reply. Just the information I was looking for. I also own a 35XL and have the same issues you experienced with regards to movements. The 40 sounds perfect now all I have to do is find a new dealer to work with..... my original dealer (Optechs) retired from the business.... a real shame.

Thanks again....

Victor

alajuela

Hello Victor - I if you don't me jumping in, you should try Capture Integration Atlanta - ask to speak to Sam, Dave or Steve, they are a great company and full service dealer, and best prices. 404 -522-7662
Best

Phil

Last edited:

narikin

Hello Victor - I if you don't me jumping in, you should try Capture Integration Atlanta - ask to speak to Sam, Dave or Steve, they are a great company and full service dealer, and best prices. 404 -522-7662
Best

Phil
Capture One do not sell Alpa.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The list of US dealers for Alpa is available on the Alpa web site (Alpa.ch).

I miss Optechs Digital too who I normally would have immediately recommended. I don't have enough experience with the others to really recommend any of them yet. I've used Bear Images for some small stuff and ditto Dodd. Bear hold stock so that might be a factor for you although generally Alpa stuff is only a courier shipment away from Switzerland.

rga

The list of US dealers for Alpa is available on the Alpa web site (Alpa.ch).

I miss Optechs Digital too who I normally would have immediately recommended. I don't have enough experience with the others to really recommend any of them yet. I've used Bear Images for some small stuff and ditto Dodd. Bear hold stock so that might be a factor for you although generally Alpa stuff is only a courier shipment away from Switzerland.
I have worked with Jeff Hirsch at FotoCare and received exceptional service. I am not affiliated with them in any way. Bear is right around the corner. IMO they are geared toward large volume professional organizations; not individuals.
Best of luck,
Bob

PS, I thought the new Rodenstock 32 worked with the 17mm T/S, not the 40. The new 50 SB 34 works with the 17mm T/S plus another 17mm T/S or extension...

goesbang

PS, I thought the new Rodenstock 32 worked with the 17mm T/S, not the 40. The new 50 SB 34 works with the 17mm T/S plus another 17mm T/S or extension...
I'm reasonably sure the 40mm is the shortest lens that will work with the new WA tilt adapter from Alpa. The size of the rear element on the 32 means that you will hit the sensor if you tilt it.

vjbelle

The 32mm is also available in a short barrel version so it must have some tilt capabilities.

As far as dealers are concerned I started out with Jeff Hirsch many years ago until a subsequent purchase a number of years ago that just didn't work out for me and items were returned. After that there was a 'New York Attitude' that cost him all of my subsequent business ( STC and four lenses )..... Optechs got all of that business.

I've also done business over the last ten years with Dave at Capture Integration and if he were an Alpa dealer he would get that business - but that's the way it goes and I'm not about to change platforms now. The search goes on.....

rga

I'm going to Sammy's in LA tomorrow. Never been or done business there. Perhaps you could try them?
Bob

The 40HR is the first Rodenstock lens I tried, and I would say that I was blown away by the results, especially in comparison to my Hasselblad lenses from before. However, I do believe that the 32HR is much better fit for my style. I will be soon purchasing a 50HR to fill up the gap in between my 32 and 90.

goesbang

I have worked with Jeff Hirsch at FotoCare and received exceptional service. I am not affiliated with them in any way. Bear is right around the corner. IMO they are geared toward large volume professional organizations; not individuals.
Best of luck,
Bob

I was afraid I might be guilty of passing on misinformation, so, after checking with the Gods of Alpa and the High Temple in Zurich, here's the drum.
I was wrong about the 40 being the shortest lens that will go on the ALPA12 cameras. The 32 is the shortest focal length that can be ordered with the short barrel 17 (SB17) version. All the SB17 lenses must be combined with either a 17mm extension (fixed) adapter, or the 17mmTS adapter. This will allow the lens to focus at infinity. This applies to ALL Alpa 12 cameras EXCEPT the Alpa FPS (There is a shutter in the FPS where there is only open space on all the other Alpa cameras, so the available space to accommodate a rear element is reduced in the FPS). Note: When using the HR 32 and HR40, the adapters should ONLY be mounted lens side of the body or problems with movements will occur. Basically the rear element will impinge on the body if movement is applied.
The short barrel 34 lenses (SB34) in the Alpa range (HR50, HR90,SK Helvetar 120, SK Digitar 180 and SK Digitar 210) needs 34mm of extension to be used. This can be obtained by any combination of 34mm fixed or TS adapters (either 1x34mm adapter or a combination of 2x17mm adapters. Note: When using the HR 50, the adapters should ONLY be mounted lens side of the body or problems with movements will occur. Basically the rear element will impinge on the body if movement is applied.

Bob, you are fully entitled to your opinion of Bear Imaging. I'd like to say that I met Jim Traskett, whom I understand owns Bear at Photokina a couple of years ago and formed a much more positive impression of him. I had a lot of questions about the Achromatic back that he was involved in developing and frankly, I was thoroughly impressed with his knowledge, his interest in my problems with it and his generosity with his time.

Cheers,

P

pew22

Hello,

I am a happy P1-IQ180 user and I am thinking of upgrading to an Alpa Rodenstock 40mm. According to Rodenstock the 40mm is sharper on the edges than the 32mm.

I also recently visited Alpa in Zürich and I was told that I can use the full shift of the STC (18mm to each side = 3,6 cm in total) from a mechanical point of view. I think to recall that the lens does not protrude into the body very much or at all if the extension is mounted on the lens side. - From an optical point of view the shift is limited to 15,7 mm due to the image circle of the IQ 180 if one uses Portrait orientation. The Alpa Spreadsheet (on the website) will calculate the maximum shift and give the final answer. I hope I did not misrepresent anything. So I would politely disagree with the limitations of the movements as described above. But be warned I do not own this equipment yet. So please correct me if necessary.

In combination with the FPS the widest lens right now seems to be the 50 Digaron. According to a FPS Youtube Video of Andre Oldani there are thoughts to go down to 32mm, but this has not yet been implemented.

I do have a question though. Does anybody know if Rodenstock will upgrade the 40mm like they have upgraded the 90MM or is there no need? The current 32mm has only been introduced recently too.

Thanks, Peter