The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LCC and filters

alajuela

Hi Phil - not entirely sure I understand your equation.

If you shoot a lens requiring a center filter then shoot the LCC with the filter in place.

If you are shooting using any other filter other than a CF then shoot the LCC without the filter.

Of course you can also be anal and also shoot an LCC with the effects filter and see the difference between the two and see which works better. As anal as I am I never once thought about doing this until just now. :D

Don
Hi Don

Well - I yield, :angel: I think the CF is a no brainer. Otherwise you negate it affects and purposes. The next step in the logic was - if you are applying a filter that is consistent over the entire lens / capture plane, then the LCC should be short over this - especially if the polarizer should introduce a color case. - I need to think more, and check when I get back home :chug:
Thanks
Phil

alajuela

Hi Phil - not entirely sure I understand your equation.

If you shoot a lens requiring a center filter then shoot the LCC with the filter in place.

If you are shooting using any other filter other than a CF then shoot the LCC without the filter.

Of course you can also be anal and also shoot an LCC with the effects filter and see the difference between the two and see which works better. As anal as I am I never once thought about doing this until just now. :D

Don
Hi Don

Well - I yield, :angel: I think the CF is a no brainer. Otherwise you negate it's affects and purposes. The next step in the logic was - if you are applying a filter that is consistent over the entire lens / capture plane, then the LCC should be shot over this - especially if the polarizer should introduce a color case. - I need to think more, and check when I get back home :chug:
Thanks
Phil

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Actually the polarizer was the one filter I also wondered about. I don't use them at all with my technical camera so I haven't run in to the combination before - maybe that's an experiment for the weekend.

Unlike other filters, the polarizer does affect the character of the light hitting the sensor so does it affect the lens colour cast? If so, then this one might benefit from being left on the camera when shooting an LCC.

Thoughts?

alajuela

Actually the polarizer was the one filter I also wondered about. I don't use them at all with my technical camera so I haven't run in to the combination before - maybe that's an experiment for the weekend.

Unlike other filters, the polarizer does affect the character of the light hitting the sensor so does it affect the lens colour cast? If so, then this one might benefit from being left on the camera when shooting an LCC.

Thoughts?
Hi Graham
This was my original thought also. That the LCC is to compensate for light fall off and color caste. Therefore if you want to remove any light fall off or color caste that a filter might impart on the image - then shot the LCC with that filter on the lens. I understand some people don't want do this with ND - but the ND can color caste so I guess they work it out in post or convert to B&W.
Anyway interested in what u come up with.
Thanks
Phil

k-hawinkler

If I use a rangefinder lens with a hood and a corner spared out I tape up the corner for the LCC shot. Otherwise light from behind reflects of the LCC material and gives an asymmetrical correction.

Last edited:

epforever

Can anyone recommend a 4" / 100mm LCC filter that would fit nicely inside a standard Lee filter holder? The ones from Capture Integration (which I have) are too large and too small. When I'm shooting long exposures, I'd like to avoid needing to handhold the LCC filter against the lens the whole time.

thanks
ethan

Boinger

Can anyone recommend a 4" / 100mm LCC filter that would fit nicely inside a standard Lee filter holder? The ones from Capture Integration (which I have) are too large and too small. When I'm shooting long exposures, I'd like to avoid needing to handhold the LCC filter against the lens the whole time.

thanks
ethan

https://www.tapplastics.com/

You can get them cut to any size you need. I am not sure if it fits in the filter holder or not though, but 1/8" is pretty thin.

Acrylic Sheets Color (Cut-to-Size) - Lighting White - 45%
1/8 inches Thick - 4 inches x 4 inches Sample

Another point with regards to shooting your pano sequence first then removing the filter and shooting the lcc sequence. You don't want the light to change while you are busy shooting LCC's from shot to shot.

epforever

https://www.tapplastics.com/

You can get them cut to any size you need. I am not sure if it fits in the filter holder or not though, but 1/8" is pretty thin.

Acrylic Sheets Color (Cut-to-Size) - Lighting White - 45%
1/8 inches Thick - 4 inches x 4 inches Sample

Another point with regards to shooting your pano sequence first then removing the filter and shooting the lcc sequence. You don't want the light to change while you are busy shooting LCC's from shot to shot.

Thanks for this. I did some checking, and unfortunately 1/8" (3mm) is actually too thick for the Lee filter holder (2mm). Good advice about shooting all LCCs after the actual shot sequence.

Anyone else have a suggestion? I might just end up cutting down the one from Capture Integration.

thanks
ethan

Boinger

Thanks for this. I did some checking, and unfortunately 1/8" (3mm) is actually too thick for the Lee filter holder (2mm). Good advice about shooting all LCCs after the actual shot sequence.

Anyone else have a suggestion? I might just end up cutting down the one from Capture Integration.

thanks
ethan
I have the small one from capture integration. The one with the lanyard hole, and it is actually thicker than the one I got from tapplastics. I don't know if yours mimics this behavior.

jng

thanks
ethan
I've actually been thinking along the same lines about making an LCC plate that will fit into my Wine Country Camera filter vault. For this the plate will need to be 2 mm thick (same as the filters). On the TAP Plastics website they state that other sizes and thicknesses are available. You might just give them a call and see what they can do. There's a TAP Plastics shop near me and we've found them to be very helpful. I'll try to get over there in the next few weeks and see what they can do.

John

epforever

I've actually been thinking along the same lines about making an LCC plate that will fit into my Wine Country Camera filter vault. For this the plate will need to be 2 mm thick (same as the filters). On the TAP Plastics website they state that other sizes and thicknesses are available. You might just give them a call and see what they can do. There's a TAP Plastics shop near me and we've found them to be very helpful. I'll try to get over there in the next few weeks and see what they can do.

John
Good point. Will do. There's also a custom plastics shop in Santa Monica that I'll check as well. Thanks.

epforever

Did a quick google:

http://www.delviesplastics.com/p/Translucent_Cast_Acrylic_Sheet.html

they have 1/16" thickness, but I don't know how the white would be for a lcc plate in terms of light transmission.

Another thing you could do is get a clear plexi sheet that had the 1/16" thickness and use white translucent studio paper over that.

Interesting. But the white one has a light transmission of 9.1%, which is a lot less than the 45% of the TAP Plastics ones. Might be a nightmare to get good LCC exposures with so little light transmission. That's a loss of over 4 stops.

Pemihan

I got a bunch made at a local shop with different thickness and light transmission and did some tests and chose the one that fit the bill
best. I think I still have the bunch labeled with the light level transmissions and thickness.

They were all glossy, but I just sanded them with some very fine grit paper.

Peter

Last edited:
4 x 6 (100 x 150) filter size LCC

2mm thickness (standard filter)

Correct light transmission level (not sure if matte or glossy matters---I have CI LCC plates that are glossy as well)

---------------------------

Make it a group-buy.

Dante approved.

jng

I just called my local TAP Plastics shop. The thinnest material they have is 1/8" (3mm). Unfortunately, when I asked they also told me that they could not mill down the edges to 2mm (so it could fit in the filter holder slot), so no joy here...

I would be interested if anyone here comes up with a solution. I've seen/been told by another member that the LCC that came with the Phase One back will fit into the Lee filter holder, so this could be an option provided it's not made from unobtanium and can be purchased separately from P1 at a reasonable price.

John