The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One P65 Plus Sneak Peak

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Body parts for sale. What don't we really need:bugeyes: I really did not want to like this and for pre-production back this thing is killer . The final shipping back with everything optimized is really going to be something else. What I found out today this back is going be sensor plus and here is the official description of that. Which will give you ISO 1600 with a quarter of resolution which will be 15 mpx and speed the back up to 2 frame per seconds. Obviously for event and PR work this will be perfect. This part really got me excited.

lance_schad

Workshop Member
What Guy is describing is Sensor + technology that Phase One developed and is patent pending. This allows for scalable pixel and file sizes the P65+ which can be configured for various resolutions allowing for faster capture times for images not requiring the full 60MP. So the P65+ will capture up to 1600 iso @ 15 megapixels.

Time for some cocktails . It has been a busy day.

L

Guy Mancuso

Here is a test about the DR difference between the backs. Keep a eye on the shadow detail. Shot with the 150mm lens at F11 at 1/20 second.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Some final comments as Lance takes the P65+ prototype back to it's temporary home in Miami...

First off, Guy and I want to thank Lance Schad, Capture Integration, Steve Hendrix and PhaseOne USA for allowing us the opportunity to grab a trial run with this amazing new back -- thank you all!

We showed several files from this back, along with crops to show the potential for detail and resolution. Guy and I want to remind you all this is still a prototype back and as with any prototype there were a few issues in using it and a few issues we noted with the files themselves. We hope to get an actual production back to review in the coming weeks, and when we do you can be sure we will be putting it through more normal paces with typical demands any pro would place on their gear. At that time, we will be noting full menu and use features, and of course performing proper testing in a controlled studio environment where we can note any obvious flaws in operation, color issues, sensor anomalies, UI glitches, firmware bugs, etc.

For now, both Guy and I remain optimistic about the future potential of this back, and not surprisingly, we've already decided we'll both likely want one to call our own :D

Hope you enjoyed our sneak peek!

Dale Allyn

Thanks all. I enjoyed seeing these comparisons. The detail and resolution from the P65+ looks to be amazing, though the "old dogs" of P45+ and P25+ are not disappointing here either.

Great to see this at this early stage. Thanks again.

Guy Mancuso

Exactly our thoughts too Dale. There is no shame in owning the lower res. backs . I still love my P25 Plus.

Dale Allyn

Having just replaced/upgraded a few hard drives, formatted, wrote zeros, copied large folders, etc. I'm happy with the "low res. back" right now. ;) Of course I'll forget about the hassle of storage in a few days and start pining for the P65+ again then. :)

jlm

Workshop Member
how long will it be before the 65 starts to push the limits if the current MF lenses...and then what, will only the Schneider big guns do it, and what camera will they require?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
how long will it be before the 65 starts to push the limits if the current MF lenses...and then what, will only the Schneider big guns do it, and what camera will they require?
Hi John:

We may be there already... The good news is that the best MF lenses delivered fine performance on the P65+. The downside is any anomalies were seen quickly, like the corner fall-off on the 28. Moreover, using the back on the Cambo with the Schneider Digitars showed impressive performance corner-to-corner.

My thinking is the P65+ (or any of the newest ultra-high rez sensors) are going to almost demand a dedicated "super system" -- say an Alpa, Cambo or Silvestri with your favorite focal lengths -- along with whatever DSLR you plan to use it with for the more "grab and go" shooting.

One thing we really noticed in this test was how friendly the P25+ 9-micron pixels are to most MF lenses. I may start a separate thread on my observations and theories on this subject...

Cheers,

Dale Allyn

One thing we really noticed in this test was how friendly the P25+ 9-micron pixels are to most MF lenses. I may start a separate thread on my observations and theories on this subject...

Cheers,
This is a "conclusion" that I've been beginning to draw as I have looked at my P25+ files and the various files of other backs such as the P45+ and the P65+, etc. Obviously in this thread we're looking at web jpegs, but there is a certain look that starts to creep through with the higher resolution backs and the lenses which are not quite like the 150mm f/2.8 "D", etc. I'll be very interested in your observations, Jack, as you've now how opportunities for truly direct comparisons b/n the backs with various lenses.

I like my modest Mamiya glass, but might not be so thrilled with the results if they were attached to a higher resolution back, though from what I've seen I believe that a 39MP back with the same modest glass would still work great in most cases for my needs/wants.

That said, the prospects of a technical camera and the PP65+ for landscapes is really appealing.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Hi John:
It is clear from the mtf plots and is computable.
-bob

K

karrphoto

I guess I had nothing better to do today, if you want to see the 3 on top of each other, I created a quick movie, 2 seconds per frame. Highest quality Quicktime.

Dale Allyn

I guess I had nothing better to do today, if you want to see the 3 on top of each other, I created a quick movie, 2 seconds per frame. Highest quality Quicktime.
I guess I had nothing better to do either (at least that I wanted to do), so I watched it. :)

Thanks, that's an interesting way to compare the files.

Last edited:

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Courtesy of Vistek in Toronto I too was able to play with a pre-production P65+ (serial 00007!) for a few minutes today. I shot a few comparisons with my P45+ and while they are very unscientific, they confirm Jack and Guy's findings. Just a tad more DR and better resolution, though the latter is unlikely to be seen in anything but very very large prints.

I certainly don't need a P65+, but......

Bill