The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

When oh when is USB3 coming to Phase backs?

kdphotography

Are you shooting the cats with your D800 or your GX680?
I bought a used Fuji GX680 off Ebay to photograph A-list celebrity cat stars (Morris, Garfield, et al) but I had a hard time making it work, particularly with critical whisker focus. I saw a Youtube video claiming it could obtain sharp focus and found it to be misleading. So I've decided to condemn the entire format and publicly urge you to do so as well. I did use the system for a few months (at least 562 frames) so can honestly claim that I've owned a Fuji GX680 without misleading anyone.

:D

drevil

Staff member
guys you really believe USB3 will ever be available on the iq series?
my guess is that p1 did some major mistake while development and just cant solve it, no pun intended, happens.

deal with it and move on :)

gazwas

Who cares about USB3 - I want a thunderbolt port in the IQ backs.

I don't know how all this works but you must need to pay some sort of licence to use cutting edge connection protocol like USB3 or Thunderbolt. If I was P1 and had to support and pay a licence on one of these two technologies I know which appears more high tech to end users...........

who cares in general? As a photographer, I choose my camera much before I choose a macbook air, etc. Right now the backs are what they are, buy a computer that adapts to your camera, not the inverse. I much prefer that Phase One spends their money and time on Capture One and the things that actual create great photos(example: R&D on new upcoming backs, higher iso capabilities, better color rendition). Sorry to say, a USB3 will not help you create better photos...

f8orbust

If this had been a car we'd have seen a class action lawsuit by now :eek:

Would be amazed if it's a technical issue - why launch the Credo backs knowing there's an inherent problem? If it couldn't be resolved they would have just changed the case to cover the USB port methinks.

In these situations (i.e. one that drags on forever) transparency seems to me to be the best and most decent option. Whether you would use USB3 or not isn't the issue - the consumer bought and paid for something that hasn't been delivered. Would be good if someone from Phase / Leaf spoke up and said what the issue is - technical, licensing or whatever, and what the timeline is to resolution. Or, if it can't be resolved, what Phase/Leaf are prepared to do about it.

BTW: I have a flying pig - pig available now, flight will be enabled 'soon' via swill update - $40k now secures pig - trade-ins available, contact your local butcher.

alan_w_george

who cares in general? As a photographer, I choose my camera much before I choose a macbook air, etc. Right now the backs are what they are, buy a computer that adapts to your camera, not the inverse. I much prefer that Phase One spends their money and time on Capture One and the things that actual create great photos(example: R&D on new upcoming backs, higher iso capabilities, better color rendition). Sorry to say, a USB3 will not help you create better photos...
I care. I paid (quite a bit) for a back that claimed(s) to have USB3 as a connectivity option. I keep my promises, I expect others to as well.

From the Phase One site, "The IQ series digital camera backs are the first digital backs to feature a USB3 connection, facilitating faster image transfers than ever before." They even have an image with a cord plugged into it like it actually #^$% works! Unbelievable! What balls they have.

stephengilbert

I don't know about a class action: the sleazy class action lawyers won't touch a case with such a small class. But it sure seems actionable. They sell a product by advertising its features, and then fail to deliver on one feature that many buyers consider important and relied upon when choosing to buy. It sounds like a breach of contract.

Last edited:

donaldlavay

As we all realize this is a long-standing issue that has concerned, and even angered, many users of the IQ series. Of course the importance of a high speed UBS 3 connection will vary with individual needs but there can be no question that what was promised was not delivered and that the decision to purchase by some was influenced by the advertised specifications. At this point it is really up to P1 to be either honest regarding the difficulties they are having or release the driver. If they don't, they will loose all credibility concerning the IQ series and any other hardware they MAY market in the future, MF or otherwise.

donaldlavay

I just got a call from a P1 rep. Says that the UBS deficit is the fault of George Bush and the Congressional Republicans. What are the odds of a resolution in light of this information?

kdphotography

IMO the announced USB3 capability is a much more concrete "promise" to deliver than a tentative "plans to introduce" a high speed wireless transfer "upgrade" that you would have to shell out more money to obtain. So you're not out any money.

We've already paid for the USB3 capability. It has the USB3 port already built into the IQ MFDBs.

So we wait. And wait. And as Donald has pointed out the importance of USB3 capability varies according to individual needs. Maybe it's a power issue? (Firewire provides power; USB draws power away).

I trust that Phase One will delivery eventually though I'm not one who "needs" USB3---and I really don't want to be buying a MS Surface Pro at the moment. But there are those who could benefit. And I like those options...

ken

Last edited:

tjv

Although I think there can be a certain amount of "buyer beware" (of unfulfilled promises) counter arguments applicable here, I think it's really bad form that P1 (or any company in a similar position, a la Hasselblad with it's battery addition,) would continue to market their product as having USB3 when it obviously doesn't – except for the cosmetic addition of a dead plug!