The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ backs and live view

C

Crypto-Museum

Hello all:

With IQ180 on a Contax 645, I suggest to try Capture One with Capture Pilot server running, it which complete access to images via an iPhone or iPad.

This is mainly for tethered use.

I shoot a test image, and view on the iPad, then check histogram, focus, etc.

This avoids the issues of live view, such as heat and noise.

Kind Regards,

Jon

rga

Thank you guys for your feedback .

Some years ago , I have attended a LINHOF workshop at their plant .
The main topic was focusing , tilt/swing and shift with LF cameras . All participants also received a little RODENSTOCK DOF + TILT/SHIFT calculator . A kind of pocket slide rule thing , which I found very helpful when shooting LF and focusing on GG .

But with a GG size for a 37x49 sensor , I find it almost impossible to properly focus even when using a good loupe .

My CFV backs have no focus mask function .
Also , they have a FW800 connector which excludes the use of a MAC BOOK AIR . Despite that , I hate to carry a MAC BOOK with me .

I think , all the trial and error steps would be much easier , if the tilt or swing axis would go right through the middle of the lens .
With an ALPA , they unfortunately do not .
That means , when you do , for example , a forward tilt , your previous focus setting for a certain object is immediately incorrect .

Regarding all disadvantages of the suggested actions , and I can't see any advantage , make me keep my fingers away from tilt and swing operations .
Apple make a Thunderbolt to firewire 800 cable. It works on my Phase.
Though I understand, from personal experience, the reticence to carry the Air in the field, it does fit in my pack very nicely and isn't too bad. Battery life can be an issue as the battery is fixed and I wasn't able to find an external power supply. Besides, that's just more weight.

However, it works extremely well and if you manage your Air's power well, can last all day.

So don't rule out T/S! It's a huge creative option to have. Just reinforcing the Dante's Inferno motto! :D

rga

Thank you guys for your feedback .

Some years ago , I have attended a LINHOF workshop at their plant .
The main topic was focusing , tilt/swing and shift with LF cameras . All participants also received a little RODENSTOCK DOF + TILT/SHIFT calculator . A kind of pocket slide rule thing , which I found very helpful when shooting LF and focusing on GG .

But with a GG size for a 37x49 sensor , I find it almost impossible to properly focus even when using a good loupe .

My CFV backs have no focus mask function .
Also , they have a FW800 connector which excludes the use of a MAC BOOK AIR . Despite that , I hate to carry a MAC BOOK with me .

I think , all the trial and error steps would be much easier , if the tilt or swing axis would go right through the middle of the lens .
With an ALPA , they unfortunately do not .
That means , when you do , for example , a forward tilt , your previous focus setting for a certain object is immediately incorrect .

Regarding all disadvantages of the suggested actions , and I can't see any advantage , make me keep my fingers away from tilt and swing operations .
Apple makes a Thunderbolt to firewire 800 cable. It works on my Phase & Air.
Though I understand, from personal experience, the reticence to carry the Air in the field, it did fit in my pack very nicely and isn't too bad. Air Battery life can be an issue as the battery is fixed and I wasn't able to find an external power supply. Besides, that's just more weight. Why I upgraded to an IQ.

However, it works extremely well and if you manage your Air's power well, can last all day.

So don't rule out T/S! It's a huge creative option to have. Just reinforcing the Dante's Inferno motto! :D

jagsiva

I have been playing with this lately and works well for giving you a starting point. I then followup with a visual check similar to Doug's process with LV and focus mask.

Tilt Calculator