The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capturing a Firework with DMF ?

Stan ROX

Hey,

I'm thinking about doing a firework photography and would love if somebody has some tips and tricks for me to start with.

Is it the right tool to use a DMF, or is my Nikon D600 the better choice (re ISO)?

Thanks in advance

Stan ROX

gerald.d

You don't need high ISO for fireworks - they're plenty bright enough, and you'll probably be wanting a 5-10 second exposure to get decent trails. ISO100 and f/8 work well for me.

(worth adding that that's a basically unprocessed image - plenty of scope in there for bringing up the foreground a bit)

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
As long as the back handles semi-long exposures well you will love the results.

I've found color fidelity during highlight recovery and smoothness in roll offs to blown highlights can't be beat by a Phase and Capture One v7.

Shashin

I would say go for it--I think Ed hurst has some firework images at GetDPI too taken with a Pentax 645D. The trails are bright and reaching saturation can actually be a problem. Good tripod and long exposures. Then it is just timing--before the rocket goes off will give the flower-like form. You can almost time it by when you hear the launch.

rga

You can also use an old trick: Take a dark hat with you and leave the shutter on B with the hat blocking the light (over the lens). Then remove the hat for a couple of seconds (as previously suggested) and you can have fireworks at different times appear on the same file.

Of course you could also blend but that, IMO, would be a lot more work...

Good luck and please post your results!
Bob

Shashin

A hat? Great, another thing to buy! And I suppose a cheap Joe's Gas Station cap will not cut it...

aeaemd

Try to get the first few rounds before the smoke get too much. if it is a slightly windy night, that will help clear the smoke in-between.
I would use a fast tripod head(e.g. ball head) because yo might to adjust quick in-between firings for reframing, it is hard to predict how hight they will go sometime. the cube would be too slow for fast adjustments.