The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tripod recommendation

Yes, I know this is the third tripod thread in as many weeks, but please humor me. I'm looking for a relatively heavy, sturdy tripod with a geared center column. It doesn't need to be new and I don't care if it is carbon or cast iron. Bonus points for extra height, but more than anything I need it to stay where I put it. Even with three 15 lb. sand bags, my 3542 XLS can get bumped a little too easily. I am building image composites from multiple layers and even the smallest movement between exposures can add a lot of post work. Typical exposure times are about a half second with wide lens. While a camera stand is the obvious answer, I need something portable since I am a location photographer.

I should add that this will be a special purpose tripod, the 3542 XLS will stay as my general use tripod. The head will probably a geared Manfrotto.

Shashin

Is this for a studio or outside? If for a studio, I would recommend a studio stand rather than a tripod. Manfrotto and Foba have stands. The Foba is far nicer and far more expensive.

It is for shooting building and residential interiors and exteriors, not for studio use. Despite my cast iron joke, it does need to be light enough that one person can carry it up and down stairs.

kdphotography

Normally I'd say RRS TVC 3 series, but if you really have to have a geared center column, then I'd go for a Gitzo 5 series with a geared column. Otherwise, more stable without a column. RRS does have a quick center column available.

ken

Shashin

If the legs move at the floor ground contact, I wonder if Vibration Suppression pad would solve that problem. Amateur astronomers use them to dampen mount motion. But they are a rubber pad with a cup like design where the point of the leg rests.

Amazon.com: Celestron Vibration Suppression Pads: Camera & Photo

I have a Manfrotto with a geared column--one of their biggest. But the column rotates side to side when lowered and raised so I am not sure you can count on the same position if you are taking photos from different heights. The legs come with braces, which is nice. It is tall.

Video tripods may be better, but they have a limited height.

Giorgio

Just like cameras, you will need different tripods for different situations.
There is just no getting around it!

thomas

Yes, I know this is the third tripod thread in as many weeks, but please humor me. I'm looking for a relatively heavy, sturdy tripod with a geared center column. It doesn't need to be new and I don't care if it is carbon or cast iron. Bonus points for extra height, but more than anything I need it to stay where I put it. Even with three 15 lb. sand bags, my 3542 XLS can get bumped a little too easily. I am building image composites from multiple layers and even the smallest movement between exposures can add a lot of post work. Typical exposure times are about a half second with wide lens. While a camera stand is the obvious answer, I need something portable since I am a location photographer.

I should add that this will be a special purpose tripod, the 3542 XLS will stay as my general use tripod. The head will probably a geared Manfrotto.
I use a FATIF... it's the 30 years old "they don't make it like that anymore" type... with it, I have 100% success doing "microstep" (16x multishot) with my Imacon 528c MFDB using FUJI GX680..., not to mention my Contax 645 system... (the 528c is Contax fit and is used on Fuji via a chinese adapter). I'm so pleased with it... Honest, 100% (not one 16x shot failure), with the largest mirror ever, on any camera, slapping up and down for 21 shots and the sensor moving 4.5 microns all the time.... I've even test it with music loud and jumping on the floor on purpose... won't sell it for anything!
Images of the tripod in action, can be seen in my site, under the "painting reproduction" section... it's used everyday to produce 508mb files of byzantine icons for ultimate reproduction on canvas using extremely accurate printing profiles in my lab.