The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya-System: 35mm AF vs. MF / bokeh

weinlamm

Hi,

at this time, I have a Mamiya-System with an old 35mm manual focus. I love this lens for landscape; I think, it should be a very good copy.

But what's with bokeh...? For example a wide open shoot with my MF:

It's only a part of the picture. But how much better are the AF-lenses? a) in sharpness / solution (perhaps changing next time to a bigger sensor) b) in bokeh?

And do you know anything about the different between Mamiya and Phase One?
For Mamiya I found a "D"-chip - but on the Phase One not. I don't know, but the Phase One should be newer...? Did the Phase One copies "lost" their "D"-sign...?

Thanks for helping! :thumbup:

kdphotography

I do believe that both the Mamiya and Phase 35mm "D" series lenses are the same. IMHO, there are "two types" of D series lenses: the first type are of "must-have" status. These are lenses that were engineered from the ground up. I place the 150mm D in this group. Certain LS lenses also reach this exalted status such as the SK 110mm LS, and from all reports the 240LS will be on this list.

The second tier of "D" lenses seem to be more spit-shined to me, with "new lens coatings." Tighter quality control. Very nice lenses to be sure, but not of exalted "must-have" thinner-air status. e.g, 120D, 80D/80LS, 55LS, 28D/LS, 45D, 35D. I'd place the 35D at the bottom of this list. It's a good lens and if you like this focal length, it's worth looking at. Oh, and all the D series lenses come with a really fashionable silver ring on the barrel. That's worth the price upgrade right there. :D

If Phase/Schneider re-engineered their wide angle lens offerings (ala first tier 150D exalted air status) even at a premium price level (6K+) I think this would change the DF/DF+ camera platform and really force photographers looking at more expensive technical camera options to think twice. Imho.

I like the Phase 35mm D. I've shot a lot of nice landscapes with it and it'll remain in my kit. But it spends a lot of time on the shelf since I have the Cambo and HR40. Thankfully, the Phase 35mm D has that silver ring on the lens barrel so it looks really good on the shelf. :ROTFL:

weinlamm

Thankfully, the Phase 35mm D has that silver ring on the lens barrel so it looks really good on the shelf. :ROTFL:
:D I think, you are a funny guy. :grin:

Thanks a lot for your help.:thumbup: So I will have a look to find a silver ringed one for my shelf. :D

steve_cor

Christian,
I'm not sure what you are trying to point out with the arrows. Is the issue the little circles in the background? It seems we need to choose a background where the sky doesn't show through the openings in a tree.

weinlamm

Christian,
I'm not sure what you are trying to point out with the arrows. Is the issue the little circles in the background? It seems we need to choose a background where the sky doesn't show through the openings in a tree.
Hi Steve,

thanks a lot for your picture! I mad the picture for a friend and he get's the hole image (this is only a crop from the left side). And for him are the arrows. I didn't removed them for the forum...

And I think, your picture looks a little bit sharper and has more contrast. And better bokeh...

weinlamm

I now have both - the old manual focus Mamiya and the Phase One AF. Here is a comparison between them ( only a few pictures taken in my lunch break ).

And thanks for everyone who has helped me to finde my lense! :thumbup:

Mamiya MF 35mm @ f3.5

Phase One 35mm @ f3.5

Mamiya MF 35mm @ f5.6

Phase One 35mm @ f5.6

Mamiya MF 35mm @ f8.0

Phase One 35mm @ f8.0

Mamiya MF 35mm @ f11.0

Phase One 35mm @ f11.0

Mamiya MF 35mm @ f16.0

Phase One 35mm @ f16.0

Mamiya MF 35mm @ f22.0

Phase One 35mm @ f22.0

weinlamm

Bokeh

Mamiya MF 35mm f11 @ 2.0m

Phase One 35mm f11 @ 2.0m

Mamiya MF 35mm f11 @ 1.0m

Phase One 35mm f11 @ 1.0m

Mamiya MF 35mm f11 @ 0.5m

Phase One 35mm f11 @ 0.5m

Details will come soon - but today I have some other work.

weinlamm

Today some details from the f11-picture

The overview from where taken:

And the details:

Phase One 35mm AF

Mamiya MF 35mm

Phase One 35mm AF

Mamiya MF 35mm

Phase One 35mm AF

Mamiya MF 35mm

malmac

Interesting to see the comparison.

I have the Phase One 35mm lens - however I find I mostly use the 55mm LS which I prefer on the 645DF.

For a wider lens I am looking at the HR40 for my Cambo technical camera.

So I don't see the 35mm, with its shiny silver ring getting off the shelf as often as it deserves.

Mal

weinlamm

It seems, like an member her told me before buying: the silver ringed Phase One should be the best actually at 35mm for the 645-system.

In the past, I had a good feeling with my older MF - but it seems, that I obviously looked only into the center... Ok. Never done architecture with the manual-lens before. The P1 has more contrast, is sharper at the edge, and seems to be better overall.
Only CAs should be more in the pictures made with the Phase One. But this is only *one klick* in Lightroom. Same with distortion. It's possible to remove this for both lenses with the Phase One 35mm-profile. ;)

But one day... I hope, that I will get a technical camera, too. But then the problem will comes on the tray again...