The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

From Hasselblad to Leica S ... ?

fotografz

In fact, loosing the 4:3 ratio is one of the major issues thats keeping me from the switch.

Everytime I use my Nikon, I get the feeling that there is not enough room for the picture. As I do my Beauty shootings almost in Landscape format, this is really a big thing for me.

S.
There is no arguing preferences.

Personally, I've had little issue with the ratios since most of my other cameras are 3:2, and I'm used to composing with that ratio. The S viewfinder is nice and big, so not the same as looking through a 35mm DSLR tunnel.

When I was considering the S system, I got one to compare to my H4D/40 for a week ...and even when slightly cropping the S file and upsizing it to the size/ratio of the H-40, it edged out the H4D/40 ... IMO, mostly due to the Leica optics which are ground up designs for digital and require far less DAC corrections, or none.

In the end, the S2 was added because its handy form factor, and firmware improvements that basically eliminated the need for a full 35mm DSLR system ... all while taking over many of the more mobile/travel duties I used the H4D/40 for. I upgraded the H4D/40 to a H4D/60 which is clearly superior to the H4D/40 and Leica S2 for many more demanding applications ... and the Dalsa sensor is renowned for the rendering of skin tones ... in both natural and artificial light ... to my eye, something I found to be true.

IF you want to spend money on gear, given your subject matter, I'd consider upgrading to the H5D/60 ... which, with the trade program would be less $ than the Leica S body alone. The new 50-II is amazing on the 60, and the DOF with the 100/2.2 is even more delicious ... The 210/4 comes into more play on the 60 than on the crop frame 40 for head-shots and the like. The new HCD-24, the 28 and the 35-90 zoom produce the slight crop in Phocus but still retains 56 meg delivered in a frame still considerable larger than the H-40 or Leica S

Otherwise, I'd stay pat.

-Marc

bab

I'm just interested if anyone has changed their thoughts now that a few new camera choices are available and now that LR and other software has improved slightly?
If you commented on your original system that you were using and since have changed or added a similar system did your view of the shooting experience Change that much? We're you able to preprocess your files with better results, were the results just marginal or did they really make a difference? Do you regret making the switch? And if so for what reason?
With the price of used equipment I'm of the opinion it's better just to add a body and a lens or two and work with them a while before committing to a full switch.

fotografz

I'm just interested if anyone has changed their thoughts now that a few new camera choices are available and now that LR and other software has improved slightly?
If you commented on your original system that you were using and since have changed or added a similar system did your view of the shooting experience Change that much? We're you able to preprocess your files with better results, were the results just marginal or did they really make a difference? Do you regret making the switch? And if so for what reason?
With the price of used equipment I'm of the opinion it's better just to add a body and a lens or two and work with them a while before committing to a full switch.
Originally, I did exactly that … Kept my Hasselblad H4D kit and added a Leica S2P + two S lenses. This was some time ago. Primarily because Leica had not yet delivered the CS leaf-shutter versions of the lenses. The Hasselblad covered all flash sync work, and I did any focal plane high shutter speed stuff with the S2.

When Leica delivered on the CS leaf-shutter versions, I sold all Hassleblad stuff and concentrated on the S system because it's a dual shutter system.

Today I use a Leica S(006) and five CS lenses + the S-100/2 (which doesn't come in a CS version).

No plan to change that, the system fits my needs perfectly.

- Marc

justalexander

It's been some time since anyone has posted to this thread and I'm keen to hear whether peoples opinions have changed now the S007 has been released.

I've shot with a H3DII 22 for almost 10 years and have found it to be a solid performer. I don't need bells and whistles and the file quality from it, Phocus and my 28mm, 35mm, 50-110mm and 80mm lens have been great.

I recently tested the H5D 50c against the Leica S007 and I'm considering changing brands. The H5D with Phocus is great for my interiors/architecture work because it removes ALL lens distortions perfectly but I've never been able/interested in taking it out for personal work.

The Leica feels great in hand and I'm keen to start shooting more personal work but think it's let down by not having it's own dedicated raw converter. I believe more comprehensive lens profiles (like those used by Phocus) would produce even better results especially where lens distortion is concerned.

fotografz

Like Hasselblad did, all the lens correction profiles were provided to Adobe by Leica for the S lenses when working in LR. Many of the S lenses are optically better corrected than some of the HC & HCD lenses that depend on DAC a bit more ... so when S lens profile corrections are applied in LR they show less corrections are needed when compared before-and-after, especially the wides.

- Marc

justalexander

Like Hasselblad did, all the lens correction profiles were provided to Adobe by Leica for the S lenses when working in LR. Many of the S lenses are optically better corrected than some of the HC & HCD lenses that depend on DAC a bit more ... so when S lens profile corrections are applied in LR they show less corrections are needed when compared before-and-after, especially the wides.

- Marc

Hi Marc

I tested a 006 with 24mm lens and even after the profile was added was left with clear moustache distortion which is clearly evident from the attached shot of my kitchen bench (note the bottom edge of the bench). I just tested the 007 with 24mm lens and the distortion APPEARED to have been fixed. In Leica's promotional material for the 007 they claim it records distance information in the metadata which I don't believe is a claim they made of the 006. If so this would account for the improved correction I found using the same lens on the 007. Leica's lens data shows distortion on all their lenses changes with focus distance and being complex moustache, rather than simple barrel or pincushion requires a proper profile to completely correct.

Hasselblad also claim to have 200,000 profiles for their range of lenses covering every focal length, focus distance and aperture. I was speaking with a rep from Phase One and he said they didn't even have that level of correction for their lenses.

This issue is fairly critical for me because I shoot interiors and architecture for a living and there is no way I could provide my clients with an image like the one attached. I do however LOVE the S system and am trying to overcome any problem/objection I have that prevents me from buying one.

The 60 second exposure limit is surprising!

I also found some confetti and hot pixels when pushing files 1-2 stops.

Justin

justalexander

- Marc

Sorry, forgot to include the pic...

Attachments

jerome_m

Have you considered the HTS since you do mainly architecture work? That would be another selling point for the H system. Even if the HTS will work on the Leica S, the distortion correction would not, so it is really only useful on H cameras if you are doing architecture.