The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GX680 or LF view camera for MFDB image area?

Both over cover the required image circle by much... Fuji can't go wider than 50mm, this aside, I find my Fuji lenses as sharp (if not sharper) as any lens I've used on my (now sold) P2... OK! P2 was more precise, but the Fuji is an SLR and the investment (especially if you use a multishot MFDB) is far ...far less!

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Sounds like you weren't using recent lenses on your P2 like the Schneider 60mm Digitar XL or the Rodenstock 32mm HR or the Rodenstock 90mm HR (2012 revision).

Also your P25 is a relatively low resolution back, and doesn't stretch the quality of the Fuji lenses.

Both are very good systems with very different advantages and disadvantages (weight/size, features, precision, price). In fact they are so different it's hard to compare them directly.

But if your subject matter is Landscape, Architecture, or Interiors, or Street photography my answer is: neither. Instead get a Tech camera like an Arca RM3Di or Cambo Wide RS.

Sounds like you weren't using recent lenses on your P2 like the Schneider 60mm Digitar XL or the Rodenstock 32mm HR or the Rodenstock 90mm HR (2012 revision).

Also your P25 is a relatively low resolution back, and doesn't stretch the quality of the Fuji lenses.

Both are very good systems with very different advantages and disadvantages (weight/size, features, precision, price). In fact they are so different it's hard to compare them directly.

But if your subject matter is Landscape, Architecture, or Interiors, or Street photography my answer is: neither. Instead get a Tech camera like an Arca RM3Di or Cambo Wide RS.
I don't use a P25 Doug, I use an Imacon 528c mostly on 16x microstep in the studio... outside the studio, I use Contax 645 (with the same back - the back is contax fit) or Nikon D800E... P2 (which you obviously mistook for P25) stands for Sinar P2... which I sold in favor of the Fuji...

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I don't use a P25 Doug, I use an Imacon 528c mostly on 16x microstep in the studio... outside the studio, I use Contax 645 (with the same back - the back is contax fit) or Nikon D800E... P2 (which you obviously mistook for P25) stands for Sinar P2... which I sold in favor of the Fuji...
Lol. Yes I know what a p2 is, but reading your post too quickly definitely read "p25".

A 16 shot from a 528 should strain lens quality, so my question is which lenses on your p2 you were using.

Lol. Yes I know what a p2 is, but reading your post too quickly definitely read "p25".

A 16 shot from a 528 should strain lens quality, so my question is which lenses on your p2 you were using.
I believe that the demand from the lens in 16x is still one of 22mpx with the 528c, although the output is one of 88mpx... The P2 I was using the later 5 years with 6x9 film and scan it through my Nikon 9000ED, I haven't used sheet film (for practical reasons - I only print digital after 2005) from 2004... The lenses on the P2 where all good quality but of 4x5 image area ability... the wider being the 75mm (Linhof selected) Shneider super Angulon. At the days, my MFDB was the single shot Sinar Emotion 22 (again Contax fit). I didn't use the back at all on the P2... it was after I replaced it with the Imacon, that was a requirement for new lenses and electronic shutters, ...so, I thought that for the huge amount that was required, I was better of selling the system for the Fuji, which only required a cable to be multishot compatible and was of much less cost. I have to say I am pleased with the results.... I find the Fuji lenses very sharp (and neutral in color) for the back I use and the painting reproduction I do for a living... so I thought of discussing if I missed anything saving the money and abandoning the view camera. Mind you that I don't find the Contax lenses sharper than the Fuji ones... maybe the Contax 120 macro is a little sharper but nothing to rave about...