Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Pentax 645D

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pentax 645D

Quote Originally Posted by tsjanik View Post
    Anyone who followed the convoluted, on again-off again, tortuous, delayed appearance of the 645D, is amazed and delighted when one finally appears. Enjoy the camera.
    +1! Quite agree!

Dave (D&A)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    Yes, I was surprised at how much m4/3rds gear I had accumulated. I even had a few lenses which I had never used and/or forgot that I even owned (such as the Olympus 60mm macro, by most accounts, an excellent lens).

It all added up to a nice sized trade-in allowance for the camera of my dreams...the 645D.

It's going to be tough finding subjects worthy of this camera however...majestic mountains, Alaskan wildlife....yikes! The pressure is too much...maybe I'll just keep shooting with my 12 megapixel D700 for now.

Gary
    Don't just leave it for Sunday's best. It makes nice family pics too.

When I started selling my stuff, I was doubtful I would reach my goal. When I did, I was too scared to try to figure out how much money I spent buying the stuff I just sold. Sometime ignorance is bliss. My wife was just happy I did not have to dip into savings.

After about a year, I calculated how much my film cost would have been if I shot the same amount with the film cameras I sold. I basically broke even.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Crap should not have looked. B&H 17k gets you a 645, 25mm, 55mm,90mm.
    In MF that ain't too bad.

No I am not getting one but it is tempting. LOL

Maybe time to knit a new ski mask. Lol
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Come on it, the water's fine...

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As most people here know (and as my friends and wife would attest), I normally hate to part with any of my photo gear, because more often than not, I've regretted it later. In this case, the prize was worth the cost and I'm certain that with a 645D in hand, I will not miss the micro 4/3rds gear or even the D800.
    Since you still have your D700, I'm sure that you won't miss those others at all!

Quote Originally Posted by ondebanks View Post
    Baa baa black sheep, have you any micro 4/3rds gear?
    Yes sir, yes sir, 3 bags full.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Ray
    Now that's funny
    (and so true for so many people - myself included but it's Fuji gear)
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Come on it, the water's fine...
    Might just be boiling for me. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ondebanks View Post
    Baa baa black sheep, have you any micro 4/3rds gear?
    Yes sir, yes sir, 3 bags full.
    Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Ray
    I couldn't bring myself to part with ALL of it....kept my G1, the 14-42 and 20/1.7 lenses. The G1 wasn't worth much and actually takes very nice images. Light and small...perfect for motorcycle or bicycle rides.

The challenge will be....how long can I avoid giving in to the lure/temptation of dipping my toes into the Fuji X-system?

Nice day here, so I may take the afternoon off and head out along Turnagain Arm with the 645D.

I'm definitely taking the 645D with me when I head to Seattle this weekend for a 5 day mini-vacation. Going to travel light...so limiting myself to 3 lenses. Maybe the 35 A, 55 DFA or 75 A and 150 A.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post

Guy:

Given your history of buy now, explain later and that you are checking prices, I'll mention that there are some good deals on the 35mm and 120mm at KEH right now. Two lenses you will certainly need.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lol

You guys are sometimes worse than me in spending others money. What have I taught you. ROTFLMAO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congratulations Gary! I had a similar experience with the S2...I had lots and lots of gear (well, still do, to be honest), and I sold a huge amount to get just a single camera and a few lenses. It was a scary move, but I was immediately glad that I did it, and have continued to be extremely happy I made the choice in the year and a half since. I am no longer thinking about the next new camera...the revolving door for my gear has stopped turning. I am not excluding changing something out some day in the future, but I think you will find that one extremely good camera is much better than many good ones. You can only practically use one at a time, so better to have one superb one than many decent ones!
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lol

You guys are sometimes worse than me in spending others money. What have I taught you. ROTFLMAO
    What can we say? When you take a masterclass from a master...

At least you know we have been paying attention.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A+ . Lol

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't bring myself to part with ALL of it....kept my G1, the 14-42 and 20/1.7 lenses. The G1 wasn't worth much and actually takes very nice images. Light and small...perfect for motorcycle or bicycle rides.

The challenge will be....how long can I avoid giving in to the lure/temptation of dipping my toes into the Fuji X-system?

Nice day here, so I may take the afternoon off and head out along Turnagain Arm with the 645D.

I'm definitely taking the 645D with me when I head to Seattle this weekend for a 5 day mini-vacation. Going to travel light...so limiting myself to 3 lenses. Maybe the 35 A, 55 DFA or 75 A and 150 A.

Gary
    Gary,

I haven't used the 150 A personally but a few I know who have along side the FA 150 f2.8, regard both as entirely different lenses. I can only speak for the FA 150, and as a portrait lens wide open in the way it renders, ageneral purchase lens when stopped down, a lens that is extremely compact and as I indicated in my lens tests, a lens that weighs next to nothing and so light, I thought they forgot to put some elements inside. Don't pass up one if a good buy comes along. Have fun!

Dave (D&A)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, we all know the D800/e fills different shoes for different applications...but one of the nice thigs about the 645D and many of the lenses, is it in some ways stops the merry-go-round of so many decented and asymetrical performing lenses and endless lens tests for that perfect sample. Of course this even applies more so with the Leica S, but price wise, that system is in a different catagory altogether. Yes, some Pentax samples do perform better than others, but it's more of an issue of global sharpness and sharpness wide open with certain focal lengths and besides many of the lenses are downright cheap compared to 35mm counterparts.

Maybe instead of a full blown sky mask, all that's required with these lower priced bargins, is a borrowed neck scarf to cover the nose and mouth...LOL!

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Na they know the guinea from Jersey just entered the building. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gary
    You should be back now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ok...it's only taken me a couple weeks, but I finally got out today to take some photos with the 645D. It was during the worst time of the day for pictures (high noon with very harsh light), but better than nothing I guess.

I think my technique needs quite a bit of improvement, but this is at least a start. These were all taken with the 55mm SDM lens and just quickly processed from the JPG files.

This is one of my favorite locations for interesting landscape photos within a short drive from Anchorage....Bird Point. It's a fascinating place when the tide is going in or out.

More and better pics to come in the future (I hope).

Gary

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great stuff! Hope you are enjoying using it :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Ed. Yes, I really enjoy using the 645D. Now I just need to get better at shooting with it and processing the files. I know I'm not getting the most this camera has to offer.

Here are a couple more shots from the same day.

Gary

Bird Point, 645D and 55mm SDM lens

Post Thanks / Like

One key decision with the camera is what to use for raw conversion. ACR is ok in quality terms without being superb - but nice workflow in my view. The Pentax software does a slightly better job in my view, but not very user-friendly or efficient. The application much loved on this site does not do a great job with 645D files... So tricky! I accepted ACR some time ago...

Post Thanks / Like

But not without occasionally feeling that the files could be a touch better...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice Gary! I particularly like the second image of the first group. It looks like a lovely area.
    In terms of RAW converters, I would say stick to what is easiest and most efficient for you to use. I prefer Lightroom 4 for most of my own work. I think workflow ease and enjoyment is probably more important than getting the last, tiniest iota of performance out of an already incredibly good camera. Since it is your hobby as well, probably best to stick to whatever brings you the least difficulty and the most enjoyment.

Of course, if you enjoy the processing and searching to get the best quality possible, then by all means, try everything!
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice captures Gary! My favorites are the 2nd shot from each group. I too settled on ACR for the 645D Raw files after comparing them with various RAW converters. On quality alone, Pentax's own software does a bit better than most but it's too cumbersome and slow to use on vast numbers of files.

You'll find (as I'm sure you well know), that working with the 645D RAW files provides a number distinct advantage over jpegs, not to mention the quality of output. It also takes time but you'll find from your collection of P645 and P67 lenses, those that are clearly up to the task of working with the 645D sesnor in order to extract the most out of it.

I hope your initial impression of the camera's handling, ergonomics and image quality is all you had hoped for. Looks like an auspicious start.

Dave (D&A)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have no problems with ARC for my 645D images. The first tab I just use for WB and recovery/fill, the second tab for the curves, I add a bit of sharpening in the next tab, and then in the HSB tab I might adjust color, usually luminance. Once in Photoshop, I will apply layer corrections of needed. Masking becomes very powerful there.

I also like Photoshop because I can do photo merge with RAW files.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking about ACR, (see the two posts above)....the Pentax 645D files are some of the softest RAW files I've encountered and need a considerable amount of Raw "pre sharpening", which they take quite well and makes a substatial difference to the ultimate output and evaluation.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the input and tips folks. My processing skills are very basic and I do most of my "serious work" in CS5 with ACR for my Raw conversions. I hate to admit it, but all of the above images were quickly processed from the JPG files in Photoshop Elements 10...which is the only photo editing software on the computer in our family room. I just didn't have the time or energy to fire up my home office computer until tonight.

I'll admit that I wasn't really "blown away" by my first efforts with the images above, but I chalked that up to 1) quick & dirty processing and 2) still learning the camera and best practices for shooting with it.

So...here is the first image I've processed from the 645D Raw file. Converted to B&W with Nik Silver Efex Pro 2. I gave it a more dramatic treatment than I usually do, trying to push the boundaries of my normal constraints a little. You might not see it in this JPG image...but the print (11x17) looks really good. I am very, very pleased with the results.

I've decided right here and now to use this image for an upcoming B&W print exchange.

Now I am fired up and anxious to get out this weekend with a full arsenal of P645 and P67 lenses in tow.

Gary

PS....looking at the image today, I may have "overcooked" it a bit. I think I'll create another B&W version that is closer to the original in tonality etc.

Bird Point Mud Flats, P645D, 55mm SDM lens, Nik SEP2 conversion
    Last edited by bensonga; 12th June 2013 at 21:06.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think version 2 is a bit closer to the original image in tonality and feel.

I would appreciate your thoughts on the two versions....

Both were converted to BW with Nik SEP2 using their presets.

V1: Full Spectrum Harsh, red filter, Kodak Panatomic X, Vignette Lens Fall Off 1.

V2: Fine Art Process, yellow filter, Fuji Neopan Acros 100, Vignette Lens Fall Off 1.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Hello everybody!

Just found this place and would like to join the 645D community here.

I've been a 645D owner since June 2010 (50 year old birthday gift from wife), love every bit of it since. Of course I was a 645Nii (and I still own) owner with many glasses.

This is a picture taken two years ago in Banff National Park. Printed 2m*1.5m and it is now on the wall outside my office.

Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Iopal, welcome. It just wants to make you turn 50 every year. There are quite a few 645D photographers here and the medium format digital community in general are very inspirational.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Iaopai,

A big welcome Iaopai! We have a small but very dedicated and enthusiastic group of 645D shooters here on Getdpi and a great medium format group in general. What a wonderful gift for reaching the half century mark and it's tradition that you receive a new 645D lens on every birthday from here on out .

Lovely first image and it makes me want to pick up and head out to that neck of the woods and do some shooting. Looking forward to future postings.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Iaopai,

Welcome indeed. And a stonking first image! Looking forward to seeing more.

Warmest regards,

Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Back when I had a 645NII, I used an adapter to attach V series Zeiss glass to it. My recollection is that they worked very well. I was wondering whether anyone has tried the same on the 645D. I'm contemplating a 645D purchase and would like to broaden my lense choices, if possible.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jeff,

Sorry that I cannot answer your question directly as I don't own any V series lenses. However, what I can tell you is that my experience of using film era glass on the 645D (both 645 A and FA lenses and various generations of 67 lenses) is very positive. It is definitely not the case that a great lens on film will necessarily be great on digital - the different demands of the medium certainly show up flaws in some lenses than were fine on film. But there is a pretty good chance that your best lenses will still be at least very good.

In the end, the latest lenses designed for digital are generally better - especially when it comes to such digital-specific parameters as CA and light fall-off caused by light beams striking sensor microlenses at non-perdendicular angles - but you may well be pleasantly surprised by how many of your good V series lenses perform.

Here's an idea. I see you live in Sydney. If you are interested, send me a PM and we can meet somewhere - you with your V series lenses and an SD card of your own, and me with the 645D and we can try the lenses out. Do you still have the adaptor? If not, I think I even have one somewhere (don't know why I bought it, since I don't have any V series lenses - I think I was thinking of getting some at one stage). There is no substitute for trying these things out for yourself!

Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the offer. It's very generous of you. I don't have any V lenses either having sold them off when I went to the H. I'm still left wondering about the quality of the Pentax lenses, and thought that the Zeiss might be a better choice. They are cheap these days.

What I would love to get would be a raw file to play with. Any chance you could send me one?
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com

Post Thanks / Like

More than happy to do that. Of course the files are too large to email - do you have an FTP server, a Dropbox account or similar I can use?

Couple of other things:
    1. If judiciously selected, you will find some of the Pentax lenses very good and more than worthy of use on the 645D; I would be surprised if the V glass beats the best of the Pentax glass; others have posted on here test results and experiences that I think back that view up;
    2. Mr. Benson, who started this thread, now has a 645D and, I think, some Zeiss glass; maybe he can give you some views on the combo!

Ed

Post Thanks / Like

it's kind of quiet here lately.

one more picture taken last year at canyon de chelly national park.

Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very nice images Iaopi! Which lenses did you use for these?

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffg53 View Post
    Back when I had a 645NII, I used an adapter to attach V series Zeiss glass to it. My recollection is that they worked very well. I was wondering whether anyone has tried the same on the 645D. I'm contemplating a 645D purchase and would like to broaden my lense choices, if possible.
    Hi Jeff. Sorry I missed your post to this thread until now. As Ed mentioned, I do have quite a few Hasselblad Zeiss V lenses and a Fotodiox Pro Hasselblad to Pentax 645 adapter, but I haven't actually used them on my 645D yet. I got my 645D last May, so I have no good excuses for not having tried them yet. I'll try to do that in the next couple of weeks and post some photos and my first impressions here.

Are there any particular lenses you might like me to test? I've got just about every lens between 40mm and 500mm, mostly the CFE or CFi versions.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice images Iaopi! Which lenses did you use for these?

Gary
    Thanks Gary!

I used DFA25mm/4 @ F8 1/640sec with tripod.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jeff. Sorry I missed your post to this thread until now. As Ed mentioned, I do have quite a few Hasselblad Zeiss V lenses and a Fotodiox Pro Hasselblad to Pentax 645 adapter, but I haven't actually used them on my 645D yet. I got my 645D last May, so I have no good excuses for not having tried them yet. I'll try to do that in the next couple of weeks and post some photos and my first impressions here.

Are there any particular lenses you might like me to test? I've got just about every lens between 40mm and 500mm, mostly the CFE or CFi versions.

Gary
    I did borrow a Zeiss 110/2 for Hass and compare it to Pentax 120mm Micro on a model shooting. The only thing I can say is: the FA 120mm Micro is a better lens despite it's slower.

Post Thanks / Like

Antelope Canyon at Page, AZ.

DFA25mm/4, f13, 2sec, tri-pod, cable release.

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Iaopai,

Both of those lenses are supposed to be exceptionally good. What was it about the Pentax 120 macro which impressed you more than the Hasselblad Zeiss FE 110/2 on the 645D?

If you could post a couple of comparison shots here, I'm sure we would all enjoy seeing them.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Iaopai,

Both of those lenses are supposed to be exceptionally good. What was it about the Pentax 120 macro which impressed you more than the Hasselblad Zeiss FE 110/2 on the 645D?

If you could post a couple of comparison shots here, I'm sure we would all enjoy seeing them.

Gary
    Hi Gary,

f5.6 and up, the two lenses did not make any meaningful difference. However, at f4, Pentax 120mm micro was noticeably sharper. Of course Zeiss had two more stops wider. It could be a bad copy though.

It was two years ago, and the data files are stored at home. I am travelling right now so it will be 3 or 4 weeks before I can access the files.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by laopai View Post
    it's kind of quiet here lately.

one more picture taken last year at canyon de chelly national park.

That's one of the best images of the spider I've seen. Good job.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jeff,

After receiving my new Pentax 645D a few days ago I started to test all lenses from my shelf which could be used on this camera. These are a few original older SMC-A 645 lenses and a couple of Zeiss CF(x) and CB lenses destined for Hasselblad V system cameras. The latter are going to be attached via a Fotodiox (04HBP645P) adapter. The set of lenses is actually lacking two lenses on the wide end, i.e. SMC-FA 35 and a SMC-DA 25. This test just reflects lens depicting properties for my own purpose without considering features like AF or lens communication with the camera, speed of use etc. And this test is of course not a scientific one. Just thought to share this information here.

List of lenses under test:
    1)SMC Pentax-DFA 645 55mm f2.8
    2)SMC Pentax-A 645 120mm f4 Macro
    3)SMC Pentax-A 645 200mm f4
    4)Zeiss CFE40IF f4
    5)Zeiss CFi50 f4
    6)Zeiss CB80 f2.8
    7)Zeiss CFi100 f3.5
    8)Zeiss CFi150 f4

SMC Pentax-DFA 645 55mm f2.8
    This lens starts out at f2.8 with good sharpness in the plane of focus, the corners and borders are a bit soft, there is a bit of haze and CA is evident in brightly lit scenes. The out of focus areas show a bit color fringing. When stopping down to f4 the picture sharpens up overall, the contrast increases, haze and CA are not yet gone. The next aperture (f5.6) improves all aspects, but the flaws still persist, although hardly noticeable. Stopping down to f8 cures all those flaws, i.e. color fringing, haze and CA are gone. Just the corners still have not reached the same level of sharpness as the center. The corner sharpness increases when further stopping down to f11, but from then on center sharpness decreases (most likely due to diffraction). So, diffraction shows its effect more and more at f16 and f22.

SMC Pentax-A 645 120mm f4 Makro
    Wide open (f4) this lens already shows very good sharpness in plane of focus over the entire frame although paired with a bit of color fringing in out of focus areas and very little CA in brightly lit scenes. The situation is similar at f5.6 and improves when stopping down to f8. Sharpness (and crispness) reaches its maximum at f11, all flaws are gone. Picture seems to have the highest value of micro contrast. Further closing down the aperture (f16) softens the picture due to diffraction, but capture remains usable. F22 finally softens the result further.

SMC Pentax-A 645 200mm f4
    This lens shows CA at all apertures, but is completely removable in post processing. Wide open (f4) the lens produces some haze and a bit of color fringing in out of focus areas. Contrast is a bit on the lower side, but increases when stopped down to f5.6. Here the haze is almost gone, still some minor traces of color fringing. At f8 all flaws are gone and maximum detail is being depicted at f11. The image produced with that aperture is very crisp. F16 still shows good details although diffraction already shows its effect. Picture is still very usable. F22 softens the picture further.

Zeiss CFE40IF f4
    There is already very good sharpness in the center and the borders wide open, while the corners are a tiny bit softer. The traces of CA (corners only) in brightly lit scenes can easily be removed. No color fringing. Stopping down to f5.6 improves borders and corners. CA is gone. Max. detail and crispiest result is reached at f8. Results at f11 are almost indiscernible from f8. From f16 diffraction sets in.

Zeiss Cfi50 f4
    Center sharpness is already very good wide open, corners in the plane of focus are softer, but overall impression is better than results from its nearest competitor (focal length wise and things like AF/MF not taken into consideration) the Pentax-DFA 55mm. There is a bit of color fringing in the out of focus areas and a bit of CA in brightly lit scenes. Stopped down to f5.6 corner sharpness improves, CA and color fringing decrease. Situation improves further at f8. CA and color fringing are completely gone. Overall resolution has reached its maximum. Corners improve very little at f11, but center sharpness decreases from here on, most likely due to diffraction. Picture softens further when stopping down to f16 (still usable with a bit more of deconvolution sharpening) and f22.

Zeiss CB80 f2.8
    Wide open, this lens lacks contrast, center sharpness okay, borders and corners are soft. There is CA, which can be removed easily. Stopped down to f4 overall result improves, i.e. contrast and sharpness increase, while further closing down to f5.6 yields the biggest jump in sharpness and contrast. Corners are already sharp here. The next smaller aperture (f8) improves overall detail. The highest amount of detail and crispiest picture is reached with f11. From f16 diffraction takes its toll, while results achieved with f16 are still very usable.

Zeiss Cfi100 f3.5
    This lens is already quite sharp at f3.5 in plane of focus with some LoCA. Results improve when stopping down to f4, i.e. less LoCA. The aberrations are gone at f5.6 while details further increase. Stopping further down to f8 overall impression is identical, while maximum detail is reached at f11. Diffraction shows its effects from f16 on. Results achieved at f16 and f22 are still very usable (with a bit more deconvolution sharpening).

Zeiss Cfi150 f4
    Here I observed very similar behavior to the Cfi100, i.e. already good sharpness wide open paired with a bit of LoCA. Stopping down to f5.6 there is a bit of LoCA, contrast increases. LoCA is gone at f8 while details increase and still do until f11. Here max resolution is reached. Diffraction sets in slowly at f16, picture is still very usable. Stopping down to f22 the picture gets softer but the result is still usable.

Conclusion
    Overall I am quite impressed with the results achieved by those Zeiss lenses. Manual focusing was no problem for me thanks to the 645D's brilliant viewfinder with visible and audible focusing aid. A clear drawback is the missing lens information in the capture's EXIF data, but this is no different from using e.g. a 503CWD.

Regards,
    Udo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tsjanik View Post
    That's one of the best images of the spider I've seen. Good job.

Tom
    Thanks a lot, Tom!

Post Thanks / Like

New Year's Eve at Sydney.

DFA55mm/2.8 @ f8. 15sec. ISO100.

Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post