The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax 645D

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
:worthless:

Lot of yapping but no real action . Lets get some images up .:ROTFL:

Shashin

One thing about the 35mm A is it will flare when pointing towards the sun. I am not sure about the FA. But at least you don't have to add the flare effect in Photoshop later with the A.

Ken_R

FYI: 645DvsD800EvsIQ160

It's not a scientific test by any stretch but its a good comparison. Keep in mind the lens equivalents are not identical so the 645D seems slightly zoomed in and the Nikon a hair zoomed out.

tsjanik

Lot of yapping but no real action . Lets get some images up .:ROTFL:

I'm doing my part; Gary started this thread and he just got a new camera, seems he should be posting :poke::ROTFL:

One thing about the 35mm A is it will flare when pointing towards the sun. I am not sure about the FA. But at least you don't have to add the flare effect in Photoshop later with the A.
Ironically I was just playing with the 35mm in my yard yesterday. No lens shade and the sun directly hitting the front element. At the top center of this image is an interesting example of flare where light has been dispersed into the spectral colors.
Just as some see faces or figures in pieces of toast etc., I see this as a French flag and a clear message that I should take a vacation there as soon as possible.

_IGP1636 by tsjanik47, on Flickr

Shashin

I see this as a French flag and a clear message that I should take a vacation there as soon as possible.
Another avantage to the A version--travel prompts.

Tom, what lens hood do you use with your 35mm? I have been going a la mode.

tsjanik

bensonga

Delivery of my 645D has been delayed by a few days. I hope it arrives here in Alaska by Tuesday or Wednesday. It was shipped 2 days ago, but not from Pentax NA distributor's warehouse, direct from the factory (or a distribution center?) in the Philippines. According to the Fedex tracking info it arrived at Incheon, Korea at 10:33 pm Friday....getting closer! :D

Gary

Last edited:

Christians86

Delivery of my 645D has been delayed by a few days. I hope it arrives here in Alaska by Tuesday or Wednesday. It was shipped 2 days ago, but not from Pentax NA distributor's warehouse, direct from the factory (or a distribution center?) in the Philippines. According to the Fedex tracking info it arrived at Incheon, Korea at 10:33 pm Friday....getting closer! :D

Gary
Look forward to it - it's a lovely camera, and so easy to take sharp pictures handheld. Although the 1/125 flashpart bugs me a bit... probably because first time I wasn't especially happy with the results.

D&A

Don't know if this is another difference to note about these two different 35mm lenses or not, but I don't ever recall a time where flair was noticable in an image taken with the FA 35mm. I haven't specifically tested for it but might just do that when I'm out next with the 645D and all this rain has ended.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

D&A

Gary

Gary,

I could come up with a few reasons why your camera is taking the circuitous route getting to Alaska.

1. It starts out as basically a 645D body shell and parts are added bit by bit along the way at each stopover you noted.

2. In a word.."QC". Pentax has a new worldwide QC program where your 645D box is opened at ever stop and employees located there (including postal inspectors) have a go with your camera taking happy snaps and family pics...um..I mean do an in-depth analysis of all electrical circuit boards and the sensor...LOL!

3. The stop over in Korea is the last step in checking 645D durability when it's attached to the tip of one of the missiles fired daily there into nearby waters. The camera is highly water resistant you know!

Possibly all three reasons are accurate and by the time your camera arrives, it will stand up to anything, including those bumpy rides over the rough Alaskan tundra in your lovely BMW. :ROTFL:

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

I heard it was in a custom body shop in Venus getting some racing stripes airbrushed on . Guess they are trying to get higher ISO. Lol

Hope you don't get skateboard graphics instead

bensonga

If I wasn't already so paranoid about this unusual "direct from the 'factory'" shipment...you guys would have me rolling in the aisle with laughter.

I'm picking up the 645D on Tuesday...so I'll soon know whether this camera is a very special edition, or simply the latest example of "just in time delivery".

Also, contrary to my earlier stated view about not needing an autofocus lens...I ordered the new 55mm lens today from B&H Photo, with next day air delivery. I decided I'd like to have at least ONE lens specifically designed for the 645D....and since I wasn't ready to spend ~$5k for the 25 or 90 mm lenses, I went the "cheap" route.

My wife wonders....what's so CHEAP about spending another $1,200?? :eek:

Gary

Shashin

Actually, I really like the 55mm D-FA. And since it makes the camera weatherproof, it has that added benefit. I have had ice form on my body while shooting in a snow storm and I did not have to worry about it--same for the camera.

Guy Mancuso

Gary I'm sending you my baseball helmet. Now don't get to excited its not in new condition. It's really beat to **** and broken in very nicely. My wife will happy to lend her bat too, big dents in it but works efficiently.

bensonga

Thanks Guy! I hope you sent that beat up baseball helmet to me via next day air. I need it ASAP....and it's not for the first time. ;-)

bensonga

Actually, I really like the 55mm D-FA. And since it makes the camera weatherproof, it has that added benefit. I have had ice form on my body while shooting in a snow storm and I did not have to worry about it--same for the camera.
That's good to know...a few people have told me this lens is not worth the price of admission, so I'm glad to hear that's not always so.

Gary

tsjanik

Exciting day for you Gary. That's good that you will pick up the shipment. When I bought mine from the Pentax webstore, they sent it standard UPS-no signature required-so I arrived home one day to find my $10,000 camera sitting in a box on my front step!

If you'd reallly like use of Guy's helmet, I may be selling my 67 f2.8 75mm AL soon; I can't buy anything more until I sell some previous purchases.

Tom

bensonga

Hard to believe....but I finally have the 645D in hand. :D

I exchanged 3 bags full of micro 4/3rds gear, a D800e and $264 for one 645D. It feels like a pretty good exchange to me.

The battery is charging as I write this note. The 55mm DFA lens I ordered from B&H arrived this morning and is mounted up. I put the camera & lens in a new Think Tank CityWalker 20 (blue/black) bag and still have room for a couple of small lenses (35, 75 or 150 perhaps). The RRS plates for the 645D are on the way here. I've got a large Pelican case which will hold a substantial number of my other P645/P67 lenses, when needed (road trip!).

I think I'm finally ready to go shooting. :thumbs:

Gary