The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MF... will it survive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're contradicting yourself. You need focal plane shutters but use the fuji gx680? I assume you need fast shutter speeds to lock out ambient light when capturing art work in a monastery for example but you say you use the fuji there. Doesn't make too much sense to me but I might have gotten you wrong.

Also it appears as if you're pretty happy with what you've got (You don't need the resolution of the 200MS). So why would you care about the future of MF if you're happy with the gear you're using?
No... you get it wrong, I rarely need fast shutters, but when I do, leaf shutter is not adequate... light distribution of the leaf shutter cannot be even because the center part of the image is more exposed than the edges, but it gets much worst when shutters are fast, at low shutters there are ways around it... when I use the Fuji, I never use fast shutter... the Fuji I use purely when I need movements and monastery interiors are always dark...
Oh! I am thrilled with the performance of my system... it's great alright, my profiles "from capture to printing" are fantastic... (mind you that byzantine paintings is the most demanding art reproduction because it includes gold and silver), but there is always room for improvement... :angel:

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Theo,

Byzantine Monasteries.....

Take a look at From the Holy Mountain...by William Dalrymple.

Regards,

Bob

fotografz

Actually, I have seen the data. You are wrong. It is an expanding market.
Indicators seem to support this POV>

Leica is doing well with the S line despite being snail slow bringing promised items to market. Better than they had anticipated going in ... by a lot.

We have it from the horse's mouth here in this thread that Phase and Leaf are growing.

Even defunct Rollie has re-arisen and produced an improved camera.

No one knows what's up at Hasselblad ... but they at least brought out an improved camera with the H5. Whether the Loony Tunes camera makes money remains to be seen.

-Marc

Theo,
So basically you want Hasselblad to come out with a MS back for your contax that will make you and maybe a handful of other photographers happy, when you already have a solution. They don't care about you. Get Over It.

They made a newer MS closed system with their full control. From what I understand it's a very precise process and want to make sure their system functions perfectly. They have opened the H4x to other backs.

If you want slower shutter speeds, block some light with scrims...

It is also very hard to,follow what you are trying to say, because you diverge on tangent arguments that have nothing to do with your main points every time someone tries to answer a question.

Also, chill with the imacons (or whatever they are called) its super annoying. We are all now dumber from having reae in this thread...

:) just adding some niceness for Guy...

Shashin

No... you get it wrong, I rarely need fast shutters, but when I do, leaf shutter is not adequate... light distribution of the leaf shutter cannot be even because the center part of the image is more exposed than the edges, but it gets much worst when shutters are fast, at low shutters there are ways around it... when I use the Fuji, I never use fast shutter... the Fuji I use purely when I need movements and monastery interiors are always dark...
Well, if your shutter is inside the lens, you will not have that problem. That can only be caused by the optics and has nothing to do with the shutter. What you are seeing is vignetting caused by larger apertures--either mechanic vignetting or natural vignetting.

Well, if your shutter is inside the lens, you will not have that problem. That can only be caused by the optics and has nothing to do with the shutter. What you are seeing is vignetting caused by larger apertures--either mechanic vignetting or natural vignetting.
Yes... sure! :ROTFL:

MaxKißler

Oh come on Shashin what do you know about optics, I mean look at you, you're a dog! :D ;)

It's very late, so goodnight folks...

BTW Theo: You might have sticky shutters and should check them. I can shoot all of my RZ lenses at 1/400th of a second and dont get vignetting...

Oh come on Shashin what do you know about optics, I mean look at you, you're a dog! :D ;)

It's very late, so goodnight folks...

BTW Theo: You might have sticky shutters and should check them. I can shoot all of my RZ lenses at 1/400th of a second and dont get vignetting...
A black dog too... the kind that likes to turn white snow into ...yellow!

Multishot doesn't work with sticky shutters Max! :sleep006:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The basic issue is Contax is dead but it still is supported by Phase with backs but how long will that really last but the reality is no one in there right mind will put any R&D into supporting Contax or any other dead system. We can't blame anyone for that but you can blame yourself for still being in that system when it clearly its been dead for awhile now. No question it's a great system no one will say otherwise but it's simply not a active system.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If you all keep responding, this will never end.
In that case, the thread might last longer than MF :ROTFL:

Nothing survives in the long run, and both MF and 35mm will die sooner or later. What can keep something like MF alive for a very long time are special needs defined by each photographer. For me, that resulted in a GX680 using film. For others, the needs are obviously different.

I don't think any objective form of image quality is the key to using MF. Not only do smaller format sensor get better, but lenses do too. If the new Zeiss monster 55mm is as good as they promise, and there are other similar lenses in the pipeline, that's another nail in the MF coffin.

The biggest threat to digital MF is money, or rather the lack of it. Although there will possibly always be people who want or need to shoot with that kind of gear, that doesn't necessarily mean that there are enough photographers paying the price for a Hasselblad or a Phase One to make it a viable financial option for the manufacturers.

Status
Not open for further replies.