The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My Mamiya DL28 has arrived. Test and pics coming.

jdbfreeheel

Hi folks,

After a story that goes on for far too long, I have managed to secure a Mamiya DL28 kit (Mamiya AFD III, Leaf Aptus II 6, 80mm Sekor D lens) as a replacement to my Mamiya ZD back.

I upgraded (meaning, yes, I had to pay to upgrade) to this system and it arrived today via my trusty UPS driver. I am impressed by MAC's support and service. Anthony and Ramesh at MAC were really good to work with; all of us agreeing on a solution that worked after working together for the past few months on multiple issues I ran into with my first ZD back as well as a replacement ZD back.

I am hopeful the DL28 will be a great step up from the ZD back.

I will check in later after a few hours of use/play and hopefully some pics (though I'm in the middle of re-setting up my digital studio too) soon. Stay tuned.

-Josh B

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Great Josh looking forward to learning more on the Leaf back. The Mac group are some good folks

K

karrphoto

Yeah, I saw the Leaf back and would love to see how it compares to the others available.. It's a decent price for the package and something I'd definitely be interested in as an entry level to MFDB. Especially since I can use some of my 645AF lenses, which I haven't touched in over 4 years!!!

fotografz

Trust me, you are going to love that set up!

Leaf is a great back, and takes a back seat to no one ... software is a no-brainer, and leaf keeps on top of updates.

TIP: get a Hassey to Mamiya adapter and hunt down a couple of F type lenses like the 110/2F. You do not need the more expensive FE type. The Zeiss 110/2 is unlike any other out there ... you can trust me on that one also :thumbup:

jdbfreeheel

Sorry for the delay...the delivered battery was DOA. Really. Wow, I have bad luck. Went to K&S today to pick up a few extras. Once charged, I'll take some shots and share my experience thus far.

@fotografz, thanks for the vote of confidence and the advice for the hassy lens info. I've got a good stable of used Mamiya glass which is really good. After the expense of the upgrade, I'll be looking for bargains on any glass for a while.

-Josh

PS: Would love someone to pick up my AFD II listed in FS) now that the III is here. It was Jack's prior to my use of it, and I'll give some a great deal on it.

schweikert

Sorry for the delay...the delivered battery was DOA. Really. Wow, I have bad luck. Went to K&S today to pick up a few extras. Once charged, I'll take some shots and share my experience thus far.

-Josh

PS: Would love someone to pick up my AFD II listed in FS) now that the III is here. It was Jack's prior to my use of it, and I'll give some a great deal on it.
Josh,

I would love to hear your experience with the DL28. Is the delay that exists with AFD bodies and digital backs gone?

Also, thanks for the AFDII. Top notch copy of that camera.

jdbfreeheel

Hi John,

Working on a few files to folks to look at. Things got busy here given the holidays and my shooting schedule has been choppy at best.

I did manage to get the original battery to work (no idea what was going on there), so now it's just sitting down at the computer to pull files to post a few. Hopefully by the end of the week I have some up.

Quickly, as far as the delay; there does still seem to be some tiny delay but the lag seems much shorter than the AFD II and is remarkably shorter than the AFD. I'll try to be more descriptive in my next post after paying more attention to it.

-Josh

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Josh check CF function 36 on the Phase One body , you will want 1.4 firmware it does help on the shutter lag issue

jdbfreeheel

Josh check CF function 36 on the Phase One body , you will want 1.4 firmware it does help on the shutter lag issue
Hi Guy,

Yes, I've got 1.4 on the AFD III. I guess I should clarify:

The lag is near non-existent; fantastic for a MF body. Compared to the newest DSLRs (35mm: D300/D700, Canon Ds's), I think that it's still slower, but we're talking micro-seconds and my "sense" rather than numbers on a stop watch.

And, compared to previous AFDs, it's head and shoulders above them.

-Josh

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Agreed it is head and shoulders above the AFD and AFD II and even previous versions of firmware on the AFDIII. To me it is a lot better and it was bugging me big time. Now it feels much more normal.