Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I found Waldo!!! eModule Cloud...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I found Waldo!!! eModule Cloud...

Played with it for a while today. Quite an incredible piece of kit and for me, elevates the Arca platform to a whole new level of usability and realization of the quality of latest crop of MFDBs and tech lenses.

Usage:
    You essentially pick your point of focus using the optical finder. This registers the distance. The lens is extremely fast, so focus is quite easy.

This gives a corresponding DoF for 5.6/8/1/16 for your selected lens profile. The helical can then be dialled in to match what you want, and this is displayed right below the eModule reading. Couple of impressive things here, a) the lens profile is not based on some formulae, but rather on the behaviour of the particular lens. So focus shift issues are accounted for automatically. I was focussing a 35XL at 3-4ft with incredible accuracy; b) You now have the flexibility to place you subject at any point within the DoF - again you see the both scales at the same time on the LCD, I think this is really cool, particularly when shooting at distances with wide lenses. I have never seen the IQ focus mask light up so consistently before, either with LV focus or using the helical with charts. You really appreciate the refinement of the helical focus system, the charts are far too course.

Calibration:
    Lens profiles are factory loaded. Similar to the base infinity calibration for the helical, you calibrate this along with the OVF. Same thing for the built in levelling system. All DoF scales and focus information is based on a base CoC that is entered as well. Options allow for 5/6/7/8/9/10/20/30/40 microns.

Build:
    Nice. A little bigger than I expected, but typical arca quality, a combination of metal and high-grade plastic. The lens in the OVF is by SK and as soon as you look through it, you realize it has some science behind it.

Usability:
    Typical Arca - form follows function, no surprise there. Lots of button combinations, for setup, but once done, quite simple to use. The module can also be removed and used off camera while tethered with an RJ9 straight through cable. This would be convenient for planning your shot. Battery is a built in, weather tested rig.

Things I don't know yet and would be nice:
    Multiple profiles for lenses - this would allow far more flexibility IR and other spectrum uses. Also, a user programable interface would be cool. Combining the OVF with the Arca Vario-finder would be icing on the cake! I'm sure our good friends at Arca have big plans.

This one did not have the profile for the 32HR, but the mine, that should be shipping next week will. Now that I have seen and played with it in the flesh, I am quite confident this thing is for real.

I am glad they took their time with this one. I have not experienced a more accurate focussing system -- Canon 1's, Nikons, LV etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: I found Waldo!!! eModule Cloud...

Thanks for the info.

Couple of questions

When it's mounted on the camera can you use it as a grip? Does it lock in place?

When focusing the lens on the module is the focus adjustment easy. I assume its manual?

Thanks
    Paul Caldwell

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't think that you've found Waldo, I think you've found the mythical Unicorn or Jimmy Hoffa ...

Congratulations on finally getting one. USB3 on the IQ can't be far away.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Judge Crater I think

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jagsiva View Post
    I have not experienced a more accurate focussing system -- Canon 1's, Nikons, LV etc.
    This is a bold claim, yes? For example, you can use live view focusing when tilting or swinging a T/S lens on a Canon or Nikon .... Basically, I am not convinced that the eModule Cloud can focus as accurately as a live view system when using lens tilt or swing. I would love to be proved wrong in this case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

When it's mounted on the camera can you use it as a grip? Does it lock in place?

No, it mounts on the opposite side. it is locked in, but not meant to be a grip. I find the new grip for the right side very useful though -- you can see the optional grip mounted on the camera in the pic. For the Factum, there is an adapter required.

When focusing the lens on the module is the focus adjustment easy. I assume its manual?

Yes, manual focus, but as smooth as any Leica M lens I have used. Also the ring stays in place. Once you focus, the numbers then hold, so you can take the module off for whatever reason, including any difficulty seeing the LCD. Having said this, the LCD is a green backlit style and appears to work fine in sunlight....certainly better than fighting the glare on the IQ screen for LV.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    I don't think that you've found Waldo, I think you've found the mythical Unicorn or Jimmy Hoffa ...

Congratulations on finally getting one. USB3 on the IQ can't be far away.
    Graham, when I was fondling, yes fondling this thing yesterday, I was thinking that it's one down, one to go for DOUG P.!! USB3 and Doug may just retire to the Himalayas with a Phase back and RM3di!

Post Thanks / Like

What is the purpose of the electrical connection between camera and eModule?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David Klepacki View Post
    This is a bold claim, yes? For example, you can use live view focusing when tilting or swinging a T/S lens on a Canon or Nikon .... Basically, I am not convinced that the eModule Cloud can focus as accurately as a live view system when using lens tilt or swing. I would love to be proved wrong in this case.

I thought I would be challenged on this statement. So here are my thoughts:

1. I can based on my specific CoC, pick the point of focus - no need to judge front and back on any screen. This is key for things I do, like stand around in the middle of a farm in -25C with 30 mile winds. I need something foolproof. Even worse plopping an IQ180/Arca on a small rock off a ground-pod sitting in a Kayak! The granularity with digital confirmation is as fine as it gets.

Now T/S on LV on a Nikon on Canon, is still a back and forth exercise, and you are essentially comparing relative focus levels. I have not used T/S on DSLRs before so forgive me if I am wrong. Not withstanding the CCD limitations of the IQ180, you still have this capability within the IQ180, either with LV or post shot with focus mask.

2. I am hoping that I can have my own tables for tilt, although I suspect there will be further details coming in this area. I think Tilt/Swing would be more complex for tables, but this is not possible on the Arca body. I also feel that a tilt calculator like Tilt Calculator which I use, now now has more rigour because your subject/distance focus is more accurate

3. As stated in my wishlist, I would like to see the ability for multiple data sets per lens. User programmable would be even better. This opens a whole other set of possibilities for IR for me.

Don't get me wrong. I am quite excited about this thing, as I am of any cleverly engineered device. I do believe that this gives you a highly, repeatable and calibrated, lens/sensor specific, mechanism to focus on a particular plane within a DoF range for the CoC/subject distance/Aperture.

But I do apologize if I am being a little fan boyish - albeit a long way from the Alpa groupies

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    What is the purpose of the electrical connection between camera and eModule?
    Gareth, it provides the helical position back to the eModule.

Post Thanks / Like

Gareth, it provides the helical position back to the eModule.
    So am I correct in thinking by focusing the optical finder on the cloud module, the resulting distance/lens helical settings are displayed on the cloud LCD together with aperture distance scales like on the barrels supplies with Arca lenses?

If so, why does the cloud need to know the camera helical position?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gareth,

When you focus the eModule on your subject, it gives you the DoF for f5.6/8/9/11 along with what the Helical setting should be for your subject distance/lens profile/CoC

Right below this, there an index showing where the helical is set at, so you just turn the helical until you are at the same number. I guess you could look at the helical itself, but remember that you have now calibrated infinity on the module, so it is giving you the "effective" setting. It's digital readout is also more granular than the markings on the helical and gives you the option of working from behind the camera.

From a practical perspective, you can look at the eModule cloud and know DoF you're at as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that is really well thought out!

Do you think it will give you enough confidence to use the 100% focus check on the IQ backs less/at all?

Is there an official price for these yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gareth, based on what I saw yesterday, yes, for sure. Like I said, I have never seen the IQ mask light up so consistently for me before. One of the coolest features was how it takes focus shift into account, especially critical at close distances.

For pricing, it is listed on Arca-magasin at 1350 Euro, which usually end up costing us in NA about 1800-1900$. Again don't take this to be absolute.

BTW, I see wheels turning about perhaps hanging on to your P65+
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

BTW, I see wheels turning about perhaps hanging on to your P65+
    Yes, this has definitely caught my attention!

Post Thanks / Like

Just in case this helps to clarify anything about the Module...

PDN PhotoPlus Expo Report 2012: Arca Swiss Factum and E-Module - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For clarity, that is the original eModule, not the eModule cloud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

how do you focus through the module?

is there a split screen or a magnified view?
    it's supposed to be difficult to focus accurate manually for 80 mpx without any additional support like focus indicator etc.

also some of us have to wear glasses - how about that, what do you think?
    www.thomasebruster.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is designed like a scope, so you are right on whatever you need to focus on. Again, it was extremely accurate for me.

I do where glasses, and did not have any issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW, this is one of those things that needs to be experienced first-hand to see if it fits your style and needs. You really should work with a dealer and get a full demo of a unit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I signed up for one of these several years ago-hopefully I am in line to get one soon-patience is a virtue but really!!!!
    Stanley

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW, this is one of those things that needs to be experienced first-hand to see if it fits your style and needs. You really should work with a dealer and get a full demo of a unit.
    yes you are right, unfortunately the next dealer who could have arca equipment on stock is about 1000km/621miles away
    www.thomasebruster.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is my understanding that it is best if the eModule Cloud you order comes factory set for your specific lens kit. I would not think one would want to send the eModule back each time they added a new lens; so, it may be a good idea to have a clear vision of your final lens kit when you order.

Post Thanks / Like

I was at B3K Digital on Friday and saw this unit too!

Pretty amazing precision, but it does have the feel of a "version 1.0" (or even 0.9).

Don't get me wrong, it works, and works very well, but it's big and clunky and has several un-labelled buttons and LEDs, and the LCD screen in this particular unit was crooked. That said, after using it for myself, I ordered mine right away.

Martin, from A-S needs to invest in an engraving machine. Lenses and focusing masks with stickers and un-labelled buttons on a $2000 range-finder is kind of sad. I'm planning on getting everything engraved eventually.

If you think the looks of the Rm3di are about an 8, and an Alpa is about a 10, then I'd say the e-module Cloud is about a 4. It reminds me of something out of Soviet Russia...very well built and meant to last a life-time, but not much time spent on industrial design. It could probably also double as a blunt weapon in a pinch and would look right at home as a missile aiming device.

...but it's hard to argue with results! And at "only" $2000, it's a lot cheaper than upgrading to an IQ back for the mediocre live-view.

In 5 or 10 years down the line, if/when live-view is just as good as (or better than) current pro DSLRs, I think this e-module will likely become obsolete. But, if A-S adds VarioFinder functionality (with parallax adjustment) and in-viewfinder focus confirmation, then I'm not so sure.

But in the mean time, I'm looking forward to getting mine soon!

J R
    Last edited by JRBERNSTEIN; 25th February 2013 at 19:22.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cs750 View Post
    It is my understanding that it is best if the eModule Cloud you order comes factory set for your specific lens kit. I would not think one would want to send the eModule back each time they added a new lens; so, it may be a good idea to have a clear vision of your final lens kit when you order.
    There is a micro SD card that your dealer can reprogram for new lenses. As far as I understand, you swap the SD when you get the new lens. I would still prefer a proper user updatable USB solution, but this sounds quite workable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That sounds like a workable solution...at least better than mailing the whole thing in. Dare I ask how long it will take to get one of these upon placing an order?

Post Thanks / Like

It's certainly an interesting addition to the RM3d/i - but I can't help thinking it just adds a bit too much bulk for my liking. And it's another thing to carry, another thing to get broken.

Odd that when the RM3d/i was introduced, it was touted as a camera that did away with the need to focus visually (albeit with a groundglass).

Looks like the wheel (or should that be the helical) has almost turned full circle.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JRBERNSTEIN View Post
    In 5 or 10 years down the line, if/when live-view is just as good as (or better than) current pro DSLRs, I think this e-module will likely become obsolete. But, if A-S adds VarioFinder functionality (with parallax adjustment) and in-viewfinder focus confirmation, then I'm not so sure
    Even ideal live view (i.e. 5D3 on a big monitor) cannot do as precise/repeatable a job of hyperfocal focusing as the Arca can (by sheer accuracy and tensility of the helical mount). With the eModule indicating hyperfocal in real time and with the same precision/reliability this is now arbitrarily easy (once you or a dealer dial everything in calibration wise).

For selective/isolation focus I agree that perfect live view would supersede the utility of the eModule. Though if/when there are backs with such capability there will likely be a ton of backs without it on the market for decades to come (based on the continued use of older backs like the H25 which doesn't even have an LCD).
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So, pardon the dumb question, but how do you know exactly what it is focusing on?

update: err, scratch that, I see that this time around they've added an optical component. The versions I saw before were ultrasonic only. I never did see how that was going to work properly and in fact it didn't. This looks much better.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

I still don't understand how you focus even with that optical component?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gerald, et al,
    You focus as you would if looking through a telescope. It is telephoto allowing you to look at less than the whole image you will be photographing in most setups. It is a multi-coated lens so has excellent contrast and even in low light is quite easy to focus.
    when you have focused the lens sharply on whatever you chose to focus on, the distance is indicated on the back of the module. If you are plugged in to the body of the camera, the distance of the object you focused on is indicated and where the camera is focused is shown just below so that you can then rotate the focus helical to match the numbers. Or you could focus the nearest object you want sharp and note the distance, then focus the farthest and note that distance, then rotate the helical until both distances are encompassed on the DOF indicators below. You can then see what aperture or apertures are available for your use on the composed image.
    The NP-near and FP-far plane distances are indicated, as someone explained above, for F5.6, 8, 11, and 16. These are continuosly variable as you move the focus helical.
    The module will be supplied with a simm which is pre-programed at the rep or dealer. When ordering you should indicate which lenses you have and perhaps one or 2 you are considering in the future. If you do purchase something different, the simm could be exchanged or purchased with the additional lenses included.
    One other thing: The focus off set for your digital back can be programmed into the module as well, making the adding of numbers unnecessary from the setting shown on the back of the emodule. Please feel free to contact me if any questions as I have been using and playing with a sonar emodule for over a year and have found it quite useful.
    There are also new focus charts as well, so if you would like them, send me an email and I can send you a PDF or new cards if you like. I have most lens charts now since Friday.
    We just got some new data from Rodenstock and Schneider.
    Hope this helps.
    Rod
    Last edited by RodK; 26th February 2013 at 07:52. Reason: grammar
    US Representative, Arca-Swiss International
    R-Line Technical Cameras, Large Format View Cameras, Tripod Heads D4, D4m, P1, P0, Z1, Z2, C1 Cube.
    http://www.rodklukas.com/arca-swiss 480-755-3364
    Instagram @arcaswissusa Facebook @arcaswissusa

Post Thanks / Like

Rod,

thanks for the explanation. Much clearer now but I still don't understand it completely:

Can you 'swing' the eModule while it's attached to the camera body or how does it work if, within your chosen frame, you want to focus on something else? It seems to me that it's firmly attached to the body but in this case one would have to select the new point of focus by moving the camera and hence changing the setup.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RodK View Post
    Gerald, et al,
    You focus as you would if looking through a telescope. It is telephoto allowing you to look at less than the whole image you will be photographing in most setups. It is a multi-coated lens so has excellent contrast and even in low light is quite easy to focus.
    Thanks Rod - I think this is the bit that I struggle with. I was attempting to manually focus the Mamiya 300mm f/2.8 on a Phase One AF recently (quite close to minimum focus distance) and found it really tough - even with the focus confirmation, I had to shoot and then fine-tune manually based on what I saw from the focus mask and then zooming in 100%.

Clearly though from reports, this module works really well, so I guess it's just one of those things that you need to experience for yourself to appreciate.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cly View Post
    Rod,

thanks for the explanation. Much clearer now but I still don't understand it completely:

Can you 'swing' the eModule while it's attached to the camera body or how does it work if, within your chosen frame, you want to focus on something else? It seems to me that it's firmly attached to the body but in this case one would have to select the new point of focus by moving the camera and hence changing the setup.

Chris
    To do what you suggest, you would use it as a range finder first, hand held, and determine your distances for, say, near and farthest items you wanted to be sharp. Then connect the module to the camera and set focus so that DOF covers the distances of the objects selected at the appropriate Aperture.
    Otherwise it would be as you suggest a composition issue. The cloud negates the need for say a Disto rangefinder as it both can do the RF's job and then can be used to set the camera's focus.
    Hope this helps.
    Rod
    US Representative, Arca-Swiss International
    R-Line Technical Cameras, Large Format View Cameras, Tripod Heads D4, D4m, P1, P0, Z1, Z2, C1 Cube.
    http://www.rodklukas.com/arca-swiss 480-755-3364
    Instagram @arcaswissusa Facebook @arcaswissusa

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you!

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cly View Post
    It seems to me that it's firmly attached to the body but in this case one would have to select the new point of focus by moving the camera and hence changing the setup.
    You mean basically like every other focusing camera on the market?

Every tripod head I own has a pan function so don't know why focus then recompose seems like such an issue. Possibly focus the camera first before final framing tweaks?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RodK View Post
    The cloud negates the need for say a Disto rangefinder as it both can do the RF's job and then can be used to set the camera's focus.
    I think this statement depends on the level of accuracy that you require. If you are shooting a general landscape with wide angle lenses, then what you say here is probably true in most cases. However, if you really need to have a specific plane of focus to be its sharpest (for example, to extract all the nuances of micro-texture within a facade) or in situations with longer focal length lenses, then there is no substitute for a laser like the Disto, which is accurate to within 2mm out to distances of 200m.

As someone already pointed out, such optical accuracy is not possible. As Arca-Swiss already acknowledges, accurate focus depends on accurate distance measurement, which is the raison d'etre for their RM3di camera. So, the more accurate your distance measurement is, the more accurate your plane of focus will be.

As you know, I am a long time user of the RM3di camera and love to use it whenever I can. I rely on the Disto for accurate distance measurements and can repeatedly nail my plane of focus, whether near or far.

Post Thanks / Like

I think focus distance accuracy has become a bit over-appreciated, maybe through Alpa's marketing or something. With small apertures in applications such as landscape and architecture the DoF hides minor errors. A laser distance meter is considerably more accurate than what the high precision helical focus can do, it simply overkill, but is of course a really convenient tool anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Torger, what you say above is simply not true. (If it were true, then by your logic there would be no point in Alpa being able to shim a digital back with shims as thin as 0.01mm.) Being able to accurately position the lens relative to the sensor is absolutely critical to achieving a sharp focal plane.

The fact is that focusing accuracy is critically dependent on distance accuracy, to the degree to which the focusing helical of the camera/lens is capable. In the case of the Rm3di, its helical focus has a linear accuracy of roughly 7 microns, the most accurate helical focus that I am aware, at least for commercially available photography. So, a laser distance meter like the Leica Disto is NOT overkill at all, at least for the RM3di, but actually necessary to achieve the highest focusing precision that it allows. On the other hand, the optical focusing accuracy of the eModule Cloud is nowhere near that of such a laser distance meter, and therefore you will not have as accurate of a distance measurement with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Klepacki View Post
    Torger, what you say above is simply not true.
    On the contrary David, I think Torger has a very valid point.

I shoot an Arca R and have never felt the need for laser distance measurement with wide lenses and small apertures. I use the guesstimation distance measurement method in combination with hyper focal measurements and have never suffered from soft photographs. I often feel digital lenses accurately focused are sometimes too sharp. The Arca Cloud module is a great tool that would be a great addition to simplify focusing with less of the guess.

I know that Martin at Arca would never release a product he didn't feel was not accurate enough and it seems designed with the landsacape/Architecture shooter in mind rather than the studio photographer who might need different closer focusing methods.

Post Thanks / Like

Despite the 'impossibility' of focussing 'accurately' by eye in the digital age, I am one of many, many photographers who still use a groundglass and shoot digital - shock, horror - despite what Alpa, Arca etc. say concerning the ability to focus accurately in this day and age. And guess what, my images are tack sharp. When the debate 'raged' some years ago about shimming, I honestly thought photography had been lost for good to the bean counters, retired engineers and IT guys seeking a second career.

Both Arca and Alpa's approaches to accurate focussing are fine as long as the distance is recorded on the little card (Arca), or on the HPF ring (Alpa). If not, then what do you do - make an educated guess? Precision has become a very useful marketing tool - I mean, no one is going to argue that a system should be less accurate are they? Why is it Alpa won't produce a sliding back (too 'inaccurate') but Arca and others do, with great success?

This is all rather moot to be honest, especially if you tilt the lens. Then focus becomes the means to tilt the plane of focus, and to be in absolute control of that you need to use those two things either side of your nose (hint: not your ears, nostrils, eyelids or eyebrows).

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My opinion is that back shimming does only one thing:
    It allows the image to be in focus when the helicoid is set at infinity

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by f8orbust View Post
    Despite the 'impossibility' of focussing 'accurately' by eye in the digital age, I am one of many, many photographers who still use a groundglass and shoot digital - shock, horror - despite what Alpa, Arca etc. say concerning the ability to focus accurately in this day and age. And guess what, my images are tack sharp.
    Arca actually include a GG with the R cameras for those who choose to focus or frame using traditional methods.

Quote Originally Posted by f8orbust View Post
    This is all rather moot to be honest, especially if you tilt the lens. Then focus becomes the means to tilt the plane of focus, and to be in absolute control of that you need to use those two things either side of your nose (hint: not your ears, nostrils, eyelids or eyebrows).
    For me as an Arca R owner and I'm sure many other pancake camera photographers, the helical focusing is not just about accuracy but more about speed of set up. If I know a set focus point is X meters, I set the camera helical to position Y. Likewise when using tilt, through experience I know that I can tilt the lens and make a focus adjustment to render the best near far depth of field so that every shot is repeatable very quickly meaning less time focusing and more time choosing and best framing for my photographs.

And not to stray too far OT, that is why I think the Cloud Module is a great accessory as it is yet another option for taking the tedium out of photography by making focusing very simple and giving more time to the more enjoyable aspects of taking pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    My opinion is that back shimming does only one thing:
    It allows the image to be in focus when the helicoid is set at infinity
    i like the arca-way best. shimming by adding an offset. no mechanical hanky-panky.

like torger i think that stopping down should equalize some wrong mm of distance measuring.
    how do we point our disto (several mm of parallaxe are easily convened)? where is our exact sensor-plane?
    www.thomasebruster.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by photomgraphy View Post
    like torger i think that stopping down should equalize some wrong mm of distance measuring.
    In this case, two "wrongs" can make things appear to be "right". Stopping down to apertures beyond the diffraction limit of your camera will indeed introduce enough blur to "equalize" any small error in distance measurement. However, I am not raising an issue under these conditions. Rather, I am just pointing out that those folks who are interested in how to extract the highest resolution that their digital back and lens can produce with their Rm3di will require not exceeding the diffraction limit as well as having a highly accurate distance measurement.

In general, diffraction starts setting in beyond F8 with more modern digital backs, and if you look closely at the literature from Rodenstock, you will see that they do not recommend stopping down beyond F8 with their latest Digaron series lenses. Here is an old bookmark link that I found where others confirm this behavior:
    Understanding Lens Diffraction

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    Since a bit of time has gone now, I'd like to know if the impressions on this device are still as positive ?

I am on the fence, whether I should include this in my "starter kit", or if I'll save some money (for lenses for example) and go with a Disto 5 first.

I demoed one at my Arca Swiss dealer (Arca-Shop.de, really nice people by the way), and liked the digital display of focusing distance and near and far focus values for different apertures. Less to remember than the 1,2,3,4 values read on the helical. Was not 100% sure about the use of the "telescope". It seems to require a bit of calibration to adjust to your own vision, and I wasn't convinced of the repeatability of the measurements it provides - but maybe I would really need to calibrate to my vision and redo the experiment. The view through the viewfinder is very bright though, and focusing to the desired distance was easy (objects popped to focus quite well, so no doubt where the intended focus was). It's just the readings I got were ~10m, when I was aiming at infinity. The more I think of it, the more it's likely that the device should have been calibrated to my eyesight.

The build quality was ok, it's a bit big and heavy, especially when paired with a Factum.

I am wondering if for a beginner in tech-cams like me it would make things easier (with its cool digital display of the focusing distance and hyperfocal values), or just add one more gizmo to worry about.

Thoughts ?

Post Thanks / Like

The Emodule performs well, but I'd recommend you get a Disto first and save for lenses indeed.
    With a bit of practice you'll soon remember the most useful distance/helical numbers for each lens. And then, with some more practice, you'll be able to estimate distances quite accurately and leave that distometer at home.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Without calibration to your eye the measurement is of absolutely no use.

You MUST calibrate it to your eye. It is not optional.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the dealer did tell me that calibration was important. I just didn't realize how important it was: wrong calibration -> completely wrong results.

It would be really nice, if the module would also handle tilt. Since that is an essential advantage of the Arca-Swiss, it would be really helpful. Would take a lot of the guesswork and tables out of the equation.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by miska View Post
    Yes, the dealer did tell me that calibration was important. I just didn't realize how important it was: wrong calibration -> completely wrong results.

It would be really nice, if the module would also handle tilt. Since that is an essential advantage of the Arca-Swiss, it would be really helpful. Would take a lot of the guesswork and tables out of the equation.
    The module could not incorporate tilt as you're no longer talking about one distance that is in focus but rather a table of height-within-frame vs start/end of focus. For tilt focusing a comparative focus mask series is by far the best method in my opinion; establish focus without tilt and note the amount of focus mask indicated at infinity and add tilt and modify focus distance using that amount as a benchmark for acceptable infinity. In 3-5 images taken in fairly rapid succession and with minimal fuss (e.g. not using 100% review at all, or not using it much) you can establish an ideal amount of tilt for the foreground without losing any detail at infinity.