The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

So much for debate..

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Bob,

I believe that in Theodoros's comments, perhaps tone and intent are once again lost in typed words, and perhaps language barriers lead to misread connotations. His passion seems misinterpreted by many here, but his points are nonetheless valid as it relates to MFD. Yes, many times these threads come up, in some form or another but because of the nature of this profession and the ever changing technology this seems to be totally acceptable.

Competition spurs innovation and as stephengilbert has pointed out again, the D800 has done that to MFD in a big way. New members who are criticized by others with their careful placement of catchy emoticons are not ones who opinions I value anyway.

P.S.
Agreed, that personal, insulting comments are to be avoided, and Stan Rox makes a great point, but I think strongly that connotations can be misconstrued or lost in translation as it relates to language differences.
Hey, I posted a couple of answers and tried to express my opinion. Everyone is entitled to one (or two or three). I then decided that there was just no point and moved on.

I came back and looked again because of a complaint then locked the thread which is pretty much normal under the circumstances. THEN the "Well then there is no room for debate" thread started.

Listen folks: This should be very clear...
We invite you all to our house for a discussion. Our rules are fairly liberal as to subject and content and have developed over the years based on specific instances where modification has proven to be necessary (the NSFW rule for example which a post of mine caused).

But you have to understand that this is still OUR house. It is not a democracy.

We want a civil and pleasant tone. Say what you want, but respect that there are a lot of opinions out there that may not agree with yours.

I can prove that there is only a bit less than 9 stops of DR in Delta 100 processed normally as long as it is rated at about 80 because I can measure it.
I cannot prove why anybody needs or wants anything no matter how strange it may seem to me.

Moderating is not that easy since it is necessary often to use judgement and experience developed on threads of a similar pattern and then to act before it is too late and devolves into a pissing match.

Those involved are sometimes angry at the mods, but we will continue to do it to preserve this place as an oasis in an unruly internet.

thanks
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Well.

as I'm sitting in my #1 Cigar Lounge with a big "Zino Platinum Torro 'Anniversary - 10 Years" I wan't to mention that it's always a good idea to reflect the postings that are to be made.

What you all maybe know is the rude and angry athmosphere in some forums around. This is one of the most differentiating and refreshing attributes of getdpi.com.

For that reason, I have to say that - on my personal preference - like to see mods that are cancelling things before they get into something horrible.

Enjoy!

S.
Careful Stan, keep talking like that and we may put you to work as a mod -- especially the cigar part and most especially if you are enjoying a single malt with it! :ROTFL:

And a reminder to everybody else -- GetDPI is NOT a democracy! It is an AUTOCRACY that we run for your benefit and enjoyment. Clearly most of you get that, but a few of you need to be reminded from time to time -- and that's what Bob uses timeouts for.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Careful Stan, keep talking like that and we may put you to work as a mod -- especially the cigar part and most especially if you are enjoying a single malt with it! :ROTFL:

And a reminder to everybody else -- GetDPI is NOT a democracy! It is an AUTOCRACY that we run for your benefit and enjoyment. Clearly most of you get that, but a few of you need to be reminded from time to time -- and that's what Bob uses timeouts for.
I have to comment here as what many do not know is that every new member gets a note from me when they sign up. In many cases I get a return PM even though everyone knows my message to them is a canned welcome to GetDPI I still get many many responses back. It usually goes like this to summarize. Guy thanks for the welcome I have been lurking here for awhile and decided to sign up as I really like the civility that GetDPI has and its much different than many other forums where things run wild.

Folks this is a very common PM that I get and it is what most members are looking for. When we started this forum we where sick of the constant crap out there going on and we decided early on this is what we wanted was a no insult rule and a forum that was actually moderated. As they say it is what it is but it is also what most want. GetDPI will always hold this in place. Now to be really honest these admins and mods including myself have been on forums for years and know every type of posting and buy and sell trick on the planet. Get a clue we are not stupid we know when someone is throwing chum out the side of the boat. :D

Have a lovely day

BANKER1

Thanks Guy. The tenor of the discussion here usually represents the courtesy and politeness of the Mods, and that says a lot of good about them. After having it up to my chin over at LL, I was looking for the type of civil conversation found here. And I have to admit that one of the posters here gets really close to the line, so I do not mind deletions, closing of threads, and bans. I fully realize this forum is not a democracy, and I want you to intervene when someone gets out of line. However, I can see why some may see it as arbitrary to close a thread from time to time. Even I found it a little curious that a thread was closed when the tone of the conversation seemed to support a particular brand that is not often favored on this forum. But I did not complain on the forum, because it is yours to run the way you see fit. Maybe it is just because, now that I am old, I take a lot of things with a grain of salt. Thanks to the members of this forum and the Mods for keeping it civil, friendly, and courteous.

Greg

Ed Hurst

One of the reasons I love this forum so much is the wonderful atmosphere here - the focus on our art, generously helping each other, sharing ideas - rather than constantly having repeated and unnecessarily barbed, rancourous arguments. Perhaps some of the recent discussions may have seemed that way because of language barriers and the like, but it really does feel to me that in the last week or two, there has been a most unwelcome tendency to start arguments - and conduct them - in a spirit that just feels deliberately combative and negative merely for its own sake. That saddens me and seems to take something away from the purpose of this place.

I am never a fan of censorship. But I must say I welcomed the closing of those threads, which leaves me feeling conflicted. In the end, this place is what it is because of how people choose to behave here. It is sad indeed if that gets compromised by combative and unhelpful contributions to debate.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
One of the reasons I love this forum so much is the wonderful atmosphere here - the focus on our art, generously helping each other, sharing ideas - rather than constantly having repeated and unnecessarily barbed, rancourous arguments. Perhaps some of the recent discussions may have seemed that way because of language barriers and the like, but it really does feel to me that in the last week or two, there has been a most unwelcome tendency to start arguments - and conduct them - in a spirit that just feels deliberately combative and negative merely for its own sake. That saddens me and seems to take something away from the purpose of this place.

I am never a fan of censorship. But I must say I welcomed the closing of those threads, which leaves me feeling conflicted. In the end, this place is what it is because of how people choose to behave here. It is sad indeed if that gets compromised by combative and unhelpful contributions to debate.
Please feel free to report posts for review by the mods.
We are on the forum a lot but we don't necessarily see every post.
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Culture and locations from all over the world do create some challenges for all of us. My feeling its best to step back reread something think about it several times more than even just walk away from it. Sometimes not but hey I totally get it if not everyone gets the Jersey kid in me as well. I'm sure I will get what is chum question. It's bait just FYI.

Btw love Sydney what a amazing city.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
This is the first I've checked in on the threads in the MF category in nearly a month. Now I might check in once a month when I used to check in nearly every day.

Why? After the D800 came out, it seemed like too many threads became about the new 'conquering hero' and why MFD is on its way to extinction. I don't mind the discussions. Some have been informative and it now seems to have settled down a bit. It's just that I'm well aware of the strengths and weaknesses of each system and don't need to hear the same 'the sky is falling' arguments over and over and over by the same individuals.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Oooh Jack, I LOVE it when you're strict with us!
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Tim, I had a VERY ugly picture snap into my mind when I first read that -- fortunately I was able to force it out as quickly as it entered!

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
This forum is, in my view, unparalleled on the internet. Long may it remain so...
Thank you sir! And I believe that is a credit first and foremost to the generally excellent membership participation we have here! A smaller portion of credit to admins actually enforcing the rather simple rules about good behavior ;)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
And here's some more behind the scenes input I received and am electing to share (anonymously) for your fun and enjoyment :D Oh, and this friend happens to be a criminal defense attorney:

>>Perhaps "Don't be an asshole" might be a rule to add. You'd think that would be understood, but some people can't manage.

I have to remember the adage "Don't attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity." Defense lawyer spin: maybe they don't know how they come across. I doubt it in most cases, but it's possible.<<

pedro39photo

Hello Bob, Guy and Jack.

I know that a open democratic forum like this one is no easy to maintain what is trash and what is pure open trading information and Knowledge...

But please....please keep the Topics "DMF vs 35mm" closet for good !

I recomend good "sticky Thread" with the title..."Apples vs Oranges" which one have the best juice?....

NO ONE CAN PLEASE EXPLAIN FOR GOOD THAT ARE DIFERENT TOOLS...A knife its better than a haxe??? a ferrari its better than truck?...A WIFE (canon gear) ITS BETTER THAN A LOVER???? (hassy H3D 39)....

This forum and the LuLa are my bibles in the DMF, but its so so dificult to see so many threats about the same again and again...

Pedro

Last edited:

peterv

Let's be very clear -- the problem is not with debate per se, but rather HOW some of you choose to enter into those debates that admin takes exception to.

Cheers,
Amen. I'm mostly a lurker here, but since a few weeks there's a different atmosphere being created that I think this forum can do without. There are new members who are deliberately trying to stir the pot. I recognize names from over at Lula where the same thing happened.

Now I'm not a native english speaker myself but it's really not that difficult te come across as polite and civil. I've learned a lot since I first came here and there are a lot of members who generously share their knowledge, for which I'm grateful.

I hope the forum stays the way it's been. On topic, which is Medium Format, and friendly and polite.

Thanks!

Ed Hurst

...since a few weeks there's a different atmosphere being created that I think this forum can do without. There are new members who are deliberately trying to stir the pot.

I totally agree. That is exactly how it has felt - and it risks spoiling things utterly.

Maybe it would help to have a policy that the forum is open to discussion of how to improve MF cameras/backs/systems, but that there is an assumption that everyone here is interested in MF - therefore discussion of its supposed disappearance is not what the group is for...

Ed Hurst

Btw love Sydney what a amazing city.

It certainly is! Since I moved here, every moment of the day and every dream at night is about how to capture it photographically, which makes focusing on the other little things in life seem rather challenging :cool: