The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

So much for debate..

johnnygoesdigital

It seems disagreement with the moderators leads to a closed thread...again.

Regardless of whether a topic has been discussed, most new members don't search the archives for reference, they read the new threads and comment appropriately. Even if they did, planned obsolescence would most likely be outdated anyway. The word forum means exchanging ideas and views on a particular issue, and in this case MFD photography. By locking threads, it seems to imply that there's more to this issue...

By regulating comment conducted in a respectful manner diminishes the validity of a forum for objective opinion. This is not the first time a MFD thread has been closed if you disagree with the moderators viewpoint, and this mostly applies to this particular section. Some are more emotional about their MFD investment - and rightfully so, but closing a thread is not effective, and certainly not objective, and leaves plenty of room for debate...

P.S.
I would strongly encourage this forum to be open about criticism about MFD because it might guide MFD companies, (and not just advertisers) to effectively gauge and consider this to be more like a focus group that's an integral segment of this profession.

Last edited:

johnnygoesdigital

My bets are on Bob...

Emotions tend to run high at these price points, that's quite understandable, but mediating should be left to objective individuals, who are not tainted or offended as a result of their personal beliefs...then it just becomes an autocracy.

stephengilbert

:deadhorse:

I thought DMF was dead. That Smilie with the horse sums up these threads.

Someone says that MF is dead, that the D800 has killed it. Or, now that the D800 exists, what need is there for more. Or, how can MF exist without useful live view or ultra high ISO, or fast autofocus.

And then there's a long discussion with the same back and forth, and it finally peters out. ONLY TO COME BACK AGAIN.

I guess you can't say for sure that these threads are started by trolls, because the OPs might really think there's a value in beating dead horses, but I can see how at some point they might be closed by a compassionate mod. If the claim is that raising these issues will cause Hassy or Phase to change their business plans, perhaps it would be better to write them directly.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I opened it again, but I am tempted to combine all of these threads into one.
:deadhorse:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
My bets are on Bob...

Emotions tend to run high at these price points, that's quite understandable, but mediating should be left to objective individuals, who are not tainted or offended as a result of their personal beliefs...then it just becomes an autocracy.
Yes it was me,
Frankly Scarlet, I don't give a damn, but how many times do we go over the same old same old...
Also I ate what tasted like troll bait and felt woozy for awhile :ROTFL:
-bob

Regardless of whether a topic has been discussed, most new members don't search the archives for reference, they read the new threads and comment appropriately. Even if they did, planned obsolescence would most likely be outdated anyway. The word forum means exchanging ideas and views on a particular issue, and in this case MFD photography. By locking threads, it seems to imply that there's more to this issue...

By regulating comment conducted in a respectful manner diminishes the validity of GetDPI as a forum for objective opinion. This is not the first time a MFD thread has been closed if you disagree with the moderators viewpoint, and this mostly applies to this particular section. Some are more emotional about their MFD investment - and rightfully so, but closing a thread is not effective, and certainly not objective, and leaves plenty of room for debate...

P.S.
I would strongly encourage this forum to be open about criticism about MFD because it might guide MFD companies, (and not just advertisers) to effectively gauge and consider this to be more like a focus group that's an integral segment of this profession.
A mod is there to keep things in order... not to silence people that through their experience disagree with the mods views... never the less, the behavior against my thread was both inappropriate and unethical... I had to reply on a members question by messaging him, while the requirement could be far more beneficial to more people if it was done in public... maybe some mods are worthless of their title... I wonder how beneficial this can be for the reputation of a forum... :ROTFL:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
And for the record...
We will close and or delete any thread that we think is getting out of hand, or rude, or inappropriate. We may combine threads of a similar subject.
We may move threads to a more appropriate forum in our opinion.
This particular thread was the second opened by the OP on a similar subject.

-bob

The subject is far from the same... or even relevant, or even close for that matter... the requirement on my thread was CLEARLY to discuss analysis difference for the SAME image area... and having in mind the absolute which is the analysis of a multishot 22mp back at 16x (=88mp) as well as the HUGE DR difference and the UNMATCHED color difference that it offers when compared to ultra expensive backs that will look like CARTOONS if used for the same task... :ROTFL: Which in return has an impact on how pros work, what is the balance on their work (if they are using single-shot backs for work that only a MS back would be appropriate ...trying to achieve the same - NOT A CHANCE...) and if the ultra high res backs worth their cost, when compared to half resolution ones when in most cases (fashion, landscapes) DR and color are much more important than res... due to the fact that photography is all about light impact ...rather than counting the structure of a ...stone! :clap: OTOH, I believe you know what the subject was and you deliberately try to alter the meaning of it (by inventing a relevance) to explain the unexplainable... are you by any means "supported" financially by anyone Bob? ...If not, please open the subject back... you have no right to silence people from saying the truth, or to express their opinion, or to share their knowledge to advance photography... after all, you are not the one to judge what photography is, or what discussion is beneficial for it... right? ...right!!! :salute:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
The subject is far from the same... or even relevant, or even close for that matter... the requirement on my thread was CLEARLY to discuss analysis difference for the SAME image area... and having in mind the absolute which is the analysis of a multishot 22mp back at 16x (=88mp) as well as the HUGE DR difference and the UNMATCHED color difference that it offers when compared to ultra expensive backs that will look like CARTOONS if used for the same task... :ROTFL: Which in return has an impact on how pros work, what is the balance on their work (if they are using single-shot backs for work that only a MS back would be appropriate ...trying to achieve the same - NOT A CHANCE...) and if the ultra high res backs worth their cost, when compared to half resolution ones when in most cases (fashion, landscapes) DR and color are much more important than res... due to the fact that photography is all about light impact ...rather than counting the structure of a ...stone! :clap: OTOH, I believe you know what the subject was and you deliberately try to alter the meaning of it (by inventing a relevance) to explain the unexplainable... are you by any means "supported" financially by anyone Bob? ...If not, please open the subject back... you have no right to silence people from saying the truth, or to express their opinion, or to share their knowledge to advance photography... after all, you are not the one to judge what photography is, or what discussion is beneficial for it... right? ...right!!! :salute:
No I am supported by my own activities and not paid by any photographic supplier of any sort.
And you, sir you are banned for a short break for the insult.
thanks
-bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

By regulating comment conducted in a respectful manner diminishes the validity of GetDPI as a forum for objective opinion. This is not the first time a MFD thread has been closed if you disagree with the moderators viewpoint, and this mostly applies to this particular section. Some are more emotional about their MFD investment - and rightfully so, but closing a thread is not effective, and certainly not objective, and leaves plenty of room for debate...

P.S.
We are very open to criticism of MF digital. Look, it is all over the place.
The thread closure had absolutely nothing to do with any opinions of mine on any technical or aesthetic subject.
besides there was this post :)
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/493276-post21.html
-bob

gerald.d

Damn. I should try that more often ;)

Theo's posting "style" is ringing bells though. It's also not exactly conducive to a reasoned discussion.

Stan ROX

Everyone is free to leave ...

I'm not here to read things like: If you can get this, you don't need that. Next thing is to read about the wonderful camera in the x-phone ...;-)

Would you support me if I'd posting things like: "who needs more than 500 HP" in any supercar forum?

Secondly, I don't understand the relevance. If everybody is happy with what's in his bag, we should return as fast as possible into the studio or outback to make more great photos.

Having said this, I want to say also that the way these threads are going - answering every opinion with a lenghty reply isn't very democratic also - one should respect different points of view if he demands to be taken seriously.

Relax, Dude!

Stan ROX

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
It's called bait. It's pretty obvious too. That's all I'm going to contribute to this thread but insulting people is not the GetDPI way either and that does include the admins and mods.

johnnygoesdigital

Bob,

I believe that in Theodoros's comments, perhaps tone and intent are once again lost in typed words, and perhaps language barriers lead to misread connotations. His passion seems misinterpreted by many here, but his points are nonetheless valid as it relates to MFD. Yes, many times these threads come up, in some form or another but because of the nature of this profession and the ever changing technology this seems to be totally acceptable.

Competition spurs innovation and as stephengilbert has pointed out again, the D800 has done that to MFD in a big way. New members who are criticized by others with their careful placement of catchy emoticons are not ones who opinions I value anyway.

P.S.
Agreed, that personal, insulting comments are to be avoided, and Stan Rox makes a great point, but I think strongly that connotations can be misconstrued or lost in translation as it relates to language differences because my MF camera provides me with big happy fun, that provides exciting things for me to visualize pleasurable experiences.

Last edited:

fotografz

If someone posts a question like "who needs this or that" ... and someone answers with why they think they "need this or that" ... who on Earth is qualified to tell them they do not ... repeatedly, with the same answers over-and-over?

The assumption has to be that the responders are not knowledgable, and have no idea what they need to accomplish their goals ... and the OP is.

Besides, much of this is thing we do is based on want ... not need ;)

There is a lot to be said for the philosophy of "Exceed The Need" ... not just good enough, wanting to do more than good enough ... whether in developing ideas or executing them. Better lighting, better assistants, better models, better location, better files, better post work, better retouching, better anything we do.

I have a friend that subscribes to this philosophy, and was scoffed at by his competitors ... he is building his second studio, and they are out of business.

-Marc

Stan ROX

Well.

as I'm sitting in my #1 Cigar Lounge with a big "Zino Platinum Torro 'Anniversary - 10 Years" I wan't to mention that it's always a good idea to reflect the postings that are to be made.

What you all maybe know is the rude and angry athmosphere in some forums around. This is one of the most differentiating and refreshing attributes of getdpi.com.

For that reason, I have to say that - on my personal preference - like to see mods that are cancelling things before they get into something horrible.

Enjoy!

S.