The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

fat pixel digital backs

bensonga

I will try to contribute a few more images to this "fat pixel" thread. This might even inspire me to get out and shoot with my CFV-16II more often. :)

Here is one of the earliest images taken with my Hasselblad 503CWD.

No moire in this image, that I can see.

503CWD, CFV-16II, 40mm CFE IF lens

pyrojim

I was lookign at the image, and my eyes were like: that picture is too tall what gives?

brain is like its a square sensor dumby.

I feel like the colors out of the sensor are more malleable than the files were from my 1Ds1.

bensonga

Yes, I cropped it from the original square format to eliminate distracting and extraneous stuff on the sides of this tracked vehicle. I'm not a square format purist. Too many years happily shooting 35mm, 6x7 and 4x5 I guess.

pyrojim

I would be remiss with out saying:

Doug Peterson and Michelle of DT were both pivotal in my purchase of a digital back.

The both went to bat for me with the owner in figuring out a way to help me out.

Of course as Doug knows, The H25 just plain works - My previous experience with a CFV39 was THAT bad.

I say we turn this into a 9micron pixel thread!

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Can't speak to all brands/makes models but for Phase One and Leaf:
H20
H25
P20
P20+
P21
P21+
P25
P25+
Valeo 11
Valeo 17
Valeo 22
Valeo 17wi
Valeo 22wi
Aptus 54s
Aptus 17wi
Aptus 22wi
Aptus II 5
AFI 5

From broad experience but no specific statistics I think the most common to find today would be: H25, P25, P25+, Valeo 22wi, Aptus 22, Aptus II 5.

mmbma

Ditto on the CFV39, i had a CF39 which was of the same sensor and I just couldn't get the thing to work well with my style.

Doug/Michelle are great. Working with them now. I talked to almost all the phase dealers and while everyone is helpful, they are the best.
I would be remiss with out saying:

Doug Peterson and Michelle of DT were both pivotal in my purchase of a digital back.

The both went to bat for me with the owner in figuring out a way to help me out.

Of course as Doug knows, The H25 just plain works - My previous experience with a CFV39 was THAT bad.

mmbma

If you can't muster enough motivation, I'm always happy to take it off your hands :)
I will try to contribute a few more images to this "fat pixel" thread. This might even inspire me to get out and shoot with my CFV-16II more often. :)

Here is one of the earliest images taken with my Hasselblad 503CWD.

No moire in this image, that I can see.

503CWD, CFV-16II, 40mm CFE IF lens

bensonga

I'm all for that, but we need more 9 micron owners to step up to the plate and show us their stuff!

Until then, here is one more from me.....shot with the Hasselblad CFi 120 Makro lens. Point of focus could have been better and the background isn't OOF enough, unfortunately.

I know there are MUCH better 9 micron back images out there.....I hope we see them here soon.

Amanita Muscaria mushroom, CFV-16II

Last edited:

PeterA

CFV-11 16 205TCC 100/2 FE - hand held.

btw - 'fat pixels', 'fat light' and 'Elephant Gun Backs' - I should have copywrite the expressions -:)

More seriously - totally agree on the comments regarding Sinar 'linear' colour - the 75LV in 'fat natural light' delivers the most 'realistic colour' one can hope for - by a long long way. Leaf backs deliver the best 'slide : E6 look' - straight out fo the box - love them both - Hasselblad Kodak backs deliver a more Kodachrome look straight out of the box - all these sub 40 megapixel type backs are now pretty much priced less than a Leica S lens - pretty much cheap enough now to have a back on each of your systems !! Skin tones on Leaf and Phase are excellent - depending on the profile you choose.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
This was shot some years ago , when I still had my CFV-16 .
HASSELBLAD 503CW CF SONNAR 4/150 . In the meantime , I regret very much , that I gave that back away . Good used ones are very rare .

fotografz

I have like a trillion shots from Fat Pixel backs :facesmack:

Started with an original square 16 meg Kodak Proback on a V camera, moved to a 16 meg square ProBack 645C on a Contax 645, used a Imacon Xpress 22 meg on a V camera, then a H1 converted to a H2 with a 22 meg rectangle sensor, then back to a 16 meg square CFV and CFV-II on both a 503CW and 203FE. :loco: :loco:

The best combo IMO was the Kodak 645C Proback on the Contax 645 camera ... and my pal Irakly still shoots a Contax 645 with a 22 meg Phase One back that is even better. That was closely followed by the Hasselblad 203FE with a CFV-II back.

Here are a few I could dig up since it has been awhile since I shot with one of these backs, so most of them are on HDs buried somewhere in my archives :banghead:

-Marc

PeterA

Awesome shot Mamy645:thumbup:

and Marc - the third one has captured massive emotion - I reckon begging for B&W 'treatment' dude.:thumbup:

bensonga

I knew there were many excellent "fat pixel" images lurking in the shadows (or hard drives) of GetDPI members! I'm still hoping to see some of the images from Shelby Lewis here.

It was a review of the original CFV-16 by Marc that got me hooked on the idea of getting a MFDB. I had purchased my first Hasselblad, a 501CM, not long before I read his review. Thankfully, I've held onto my CFV-16II ever since, despite the many temptations presented by higher resolution backs etc. There's only one camera that tempts me now, the Pentax 645D, but I won't be parting with the CFV to fund a 645D....not a chance.

Gary

mmbma

Do not look, do NOT look!....

Would you guys rather have a CFV16 with its crop or a aptus 22mp back? The aptus' got the same sized sensor with 1.1 crop and is cheaper than the cfv16

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Aptus and crop square as you can choose later. The UI and workflow plus larger touch screen really help in usability and control on any camera.

The only downsides would be the sync cable and less pretty aesthetics with the V bodies :)

Last edited: