Site Sponsors
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: fat pixel digital backs

Post Thanks / Like

Re: fat pixel digital backs

Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    Hi Jan
    Wonderful pictures from all of you!
    Can I ask you, while you got it, is it just pure and simple to put on a Phase One P21 back on a SWC903?
    But it has to be for Hassy V-mount I assume.
    And while I'm a digital-zombie (not sufficient computer-skilled) is it just simple, when I PP in C1pro10?
    Best Thorkil
    Ps and the iso range is just and only 100-200 I guess then, or?
    Sorry for the late reply since now only I noticed your posting. It is indeed about the mount, Phase One has backs for several mounts and Hasselblad is the V-mount indeed. Files can be processed in C1 but are also accepted by other software programs such as Photoshop and Lightroom.

This image is quite a few years ago since I own a P25+ already for several years, which I am willing to part with. Together with the SWC/M is an option.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Time to keep this thread going!

Question:
    Since joining this forum, well-populated by my talented colleagues, I have seen amazing images with fat pixel backs. I am a believer! My "faith" has no technical facts for support or even side by side visual comparisons with new digital backs like our 50c, though.

It would be great to see how a current Sony 50mp back renders an image side by side with fat pixel backs! Does anyone have images for comparison already? Dies anyone want to test the two side by side?

I would have already done a comparison test if I had a fat pixel back. Hopefully someone has access to two backs and will post comparisons!!!
    Best regards,
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ok, Deltona sent me a couple of images... much appreciated!

I would like to see as many comparisons as possible, because I already have a project/plan in mind.
    Best regards,
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jan View Post
    Sorry for the late reply since now only I noticed your posting. It is indeed about the mount, Phase One has backs for several mounts and Hasselblad is the V-mount indeed. Files can be processed in C1 but are also accepted by other software programs such as Photoshop and Lightroom.

This image is quite a few years ago since I own a P25+ already for several years, which I am willing to part with. Together with the SWC/M is an option.
    Hi Jan. Thank you for your answer. And me too : rather late answer while my eyes didn't caught it before now. Best Thorkil

Post Thanks / Like

The Griffith Observatory

Hasselblad H2 + HC 80mm f/2.8 + Phase One P25 Digital Back

http://dezfoto.com
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DezFoto View Post
    The Griffith Observatory

Hasselblad H2 + HC 80mm f/2.8 + Phase One P25 Digital Back

I love this one, thanks, Dez!

As I keep looking at ''this image, I find it stunning, and I cannot imagine how anything could make it better. Would a contemporary 50mp back make it better? If so, in what way?
    Best regards,
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dave.gt View Post
    I love this one, thanks, Dez!

As I keep looking at ''this image, I find it stunning, and I cannot imagine how anything could make it better. Would a contemporary 50mp back make it better? If so, in what way?
    Thank you so much!

Well, a 50mp CMOS back would give you more dynamic range (mostly in the shadows), more pixels for printing larger (22mp gives you plenty or printing ability) and a much, much broader range of acceptable ISO settings. This was shot at ISO 50 on a tripod. So while a 50mp CMOS back may not give you a better image in a creative sense, it's much, much less limited in how you can work with it. Personally I prefer the "look" of the older "fat pixel" CCD backs over the newer CMOS designs, but that's mostly a personal preference thing. If you have a film background, think of it like the difference between working with print and slide film.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: fat pixel digital backs

I have been using a PhaseOne P20 on my hasselblad for years. Kind of on and off. I want to keep my V system, am very attached to it... I am beginning to have a hankering for the CFV 50C. Is that too a "Fat Pixel" back? and forgive me if this is covered somewhere in this forum, what is a fat pixel and what is the advantage?

Any thoughts on the 50c?

~Tom Upton
    Palo Alto

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"Fat pixels" is a reference to the size of the pixels on the sensor.
    i would say fat pixel by old definition would end with P45+ sensors, where the size is 6.8 microns.

the 50mp chip by sony used in the 50c has a pixel size of 5.3 microns. since the sensor size is smaller than the one in the p45+ and higher pixel density, i wouldnt consider is a fat pixel back, maybe once we have 200mp chips we will change the definition

*edit* if i had a chance to get a p25+ in contax mount, i would buy it instantly, but those are hard to come by.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have some files of comparative subjects, taken on different days, and with different lenses, these were shot as test images. The lighting was much the same a dull overcast day. Whilst I acknowledge that I used different lenses, and the depth of field variations are quite apparent. I'm not in anyway making any direct comparisons, the P21+ certainly can hold it's own with a much newer 50mp sensor, in the right conditions.

However the fact that I shot the Pentax 645Z at ISO 3200 does indeed make the P21+ seriously undergunned in the ISO department. It is still a great back if your prepared to accept the limitations, prints from the P21+ are simply lovely, with a very subtle tone curve. Prints from the Z are as to be expected a notch up from the 21+, with a much greater degree of clarity and sharpness. I would expect that from a 50mp sensor.

The Zed has an insane amount of shadow recovery, without the usual amplified noise. The P21+ has a similar degree of shadow recovery, but, and here is the but, the noise is simply too great. What I will say and feel without doubt that the P21+ produces a file that has superb colour right from the get go.

All the files were processed in Lightroom, I know that Phase One files are best processed in Capture One, however for me, my workflow is best suited to Lightroom.

Name:  _IMG3908-Edit.jpg
Views: 1370
Size:  669.7 KB

Name:  CF066341.jpg
Views: 1366
Size:  576.1 KB

Name:  _IMG3911.jpg
Views: 1358
Size:  798.3 KB

Name:  CF066342-Edit.jpg
Views: 1359
Size:  489.7 KB
    http://www.thebigpicturegallery.com
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I bought my Leaf Aptus 5 II new as soon as it came out in 2009. It does not see much action now, collecting dust in my safe, I think I have around 7000 exposures in 8 years......I need to charge the batteries and give it a spin!

Beautiful rendering!
    Alpa FPS • MAX • TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 • Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Time to keep this thread going!

Question:
    Since joining this forum, well-populated by my talented colleagues, I have seen amazing images with fat pixel backs. I am a believer! My "faith" has no technical facts for support or even side by side visual comparisons with new digital backs like our 50c, though.

It would be great to see how a current Sony 50mp back renders an image side by side with fat pixel backs! Does anyone have images for comparison already? Dies anyone want to test the two side by side?

I would have already done a comparison test if I had a fat pixel back. Hopefully someone has access to two backs and will post comparisons!!!

I now have both a Leaf Aptus 22 (the predecessor to Dan's 5 II with the same sensor I believe) in H mount and an IQ250 (with the Sony 50MP CMOS sensor) in Mamiya mount and I would like to shoot some comparisons with them for fun (nothing scientific). Since they are different mounts I can't use the same SLR lenses with them (unless I picked up a Hasselblad V to Mamiya adaptor) but I can use them both on my tech cam.

I haven't done any direct comparisons but I will second what has been said above; very similar to working with slide vs print film. The older CCD back has more limited dynamic range and a much more restrictive "shooting envelope", however when you get it right there is "something" about the files that is magical.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

P25 + 120mm Macro (non D) Handheld

Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Can I play? Hasselblad 500 c/m, 60mm f/3.5, Phase One P25

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nathantw View Post
    Can I play? Hasselblad 500 c/m, 60mm f/3.5, Phase One P25
    Absolutely. Assuming your pixels meet the minimum weight requirements, of course!
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

500 c/m, 180mm f/4 CF, Phase One P25
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nathan,

Exquisite images. Wow! I am convinced there is something magical about these fat pixel backs! I am still trying to get a real side by side comparison... but, short of buying one myself, I must be content and thankful for posts like these to admire!

The color, the dramatic contrasts, all very well done!
    Best regards,
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a black and white architecture shot:

Hasselblad H2 + Phase One P25 back + 80mm f/2.8 lens with 1.7 teleconverter

http://dezfoto.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Marina Bay Financial District | Singapore
    SWC | Phase One P25+

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all,

I have too many of those amazing fat pixel backs, so I posted some in the For Sale section.

Maybe someone is interested. Don´t hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,

Oliver

Post Thanks / Like

500 c/m, 80mm, Phase One P25

Post Thanks / Like

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L_000268-Pano-2ex.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	996.8 KB 
ID:	133013

SWC + Aptus 22
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nhn View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L_000268-Pano-2ex.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	996.8 KB 
ID:	133013SWC + Aptus 22
    What a beautiful shot of an awesome landscape ! Color, depth of field,composition and mood everything speaks to me in it ; thank you !
    ---------------------------------
    http://stef974.tumblr.com/
    ---------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Just keeping it alive!

Hello everybody.
    I am sorry I cant show you any lovely ladies but here is a photo of a photographer!
    SWCM and P30Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CF045965_2.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	411.5 KB 
ID:	133186Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CF045965_1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	184.1 KB 
ID:	133185

Post Thanks / Like

hello, it's interesting that i came across this discussion, because for the last few months i have gone back to my hasselblad cfv 16 images and converted those that had the potential, to be made into black and white images. the print size was only 9x9 or 7x7 for platinum prints. i used epson legacy fibre paper on an epson 3880 printer. the images just looked like they were printed from film. there seems to be a shoulder in the high values with a small toe in the shadow areas. the images have a quality i have never been able, in black and white, to duplicate. in the near future i will post a few. but alas when the nikon d800e came out i sold the cfv 16 because more mp's would make my images better, right. like some of you i am pondering getting a fat pixel back. for me it would be for b&w only. for color i do like my nikon d850 with nothing but zeiss lenses, wife has the d800e with all the auto focus nikon lenses. i have been looking at many different outfits, contax with phase one p25+, mamiya rz67 but it weighs a ton. i don't like the older phase one cameras, so i think my best bet would be a haselblad h3d ii 22. any other ideas out there?

Post Thanks / Like

pulled the trigger.

just received a pristine and i mean pristine hasselblad h3dii 22 with 80mm lens. will spend the week understanding it completely, than take it next weekend to yosemite for a workout.

Post Thanks / Like

went to washburn point in yosemite last friday for lunch to try out my, new for me, hasselblad h3d ii 22. had sign at the turnoff for glacier point of 30-90 min. wait for parking space. summer in yosemte is horrible. plenty of parking at washburn point though. my wife and i only live 90 min from yosemite, 60 min. from kings canyon np and 35 min. from sequoia np, so a little drive to any of the parks is very easy. had cloudless sky and normal summer haze in the sky. took this picture of mt. starr king off the glacier point road. the hasselblad files are easy to work with. yosemite is made for black and white which is what the hasselblad will be used for.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mt starr king.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	809.4 KB 
ID:	134653

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by david distefano View Post
    went to washburn point in yosemite last friday for lunch to try out my, new for me, hasselblad h3d ii 22. had sign at the turnoff for glacier point of 30-90 min. wait for parking space. summer in yosemte is horrible. plenty of parking at washburn point though. my wife and i only live 90 min from yosemite, 60 min. from kings canyon np and 35 min. from sequoia np, so a little drive to any of the parks is very easy. had cloudless sky and normal summer haze in the sky. took this picture of mt. starr king off the glacier point road. the hasselblad files are easy to work with. yosemite is made for black and white which is what the hasselblad will be used for.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mt starr king.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	809.4 KB 
ID:	134653
    Love this!!! Having never seen this location, I appreciate your sharing this image!

I happen to be a huge fan of fat pixel backs, so please continue posting. Great start to what will be a fine relationship, I am sure.
    Best regards,
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like

Love this!!! Having never seen this location, I appreciate your sharing this image!

I happen to be a huge fan of fat pixel backs, so please continue posting. Great start to what will be a fine relationship, I am sure.
    thank you very much. my wife and i are preparing to leave sunday for the olympic peninsula for a 3 or 4 week vacation. will post after we return.