Site Sponsors
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 351 to 400 of 427

Thread: fat pixel digital backs

  1. #351
    Member Jan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    200
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: fat pixel digital backs

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    Hi Jan
    Wonderful pictures from all of you!
    Can I ask you, while you got it, is it just pure and simple to put on a Phase One P21 back on a SWC903?
    But it has to be for Hassy V-mount I assume.
    And while I'm a digital-zombie (not sufficient computer-skilled) is it just simple, when I PP in C1pro10?
    Best Thorkil
    Ps and the iso range is just and only 100-200 I guess then, or?
    Sorry for the late reply since now only I noticed your posting. It is indeed about the mount, Phase One has backs for several mounts and Hasselblad is the V-mount indeed. Files can be processed in C1 but are also accepted by other software programs such as Photoshop and Lightroom.

    This image is quite a few years ago since I own a P25+ already for several years, which I am willing to part with. Together with the SWC/M is an option.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  2. #352
    Senior Member dave.gt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, USA
    Posts
    913
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: fat pixel digital backs

    Time to keep this thread going!

    Question:
    Since joining this forum, well-populated by my talented colleagues, I have seen amazing images with fat pixel backs. I am a believer! My "faith" has no technical facts for support or even side by side visual comparisons with new digital backs like our 50c, though.

    It would be great to see how a current Sony 50mp back renders an image side by side with fat pixel backs! Does anyone have images for comparison already? Dies anyone want to test the two side by side?

    I would have already done a comparison test if I had a fat pixel back. Hopefully someone has access to two backs and will post comparisons!!!
    Best regards,
    Dave (GT)

  3. #353
    Senior Member dave.gt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, USA
    Posts
    913
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: fat pixel digital backs

    Ok, Deltona sent me a couple of images... much appreciated!

    I would like to see as many comparisons as possible, because I already have a project/plan in mind.
    Best regards,
    Dave (GT)

  4. #354
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,764
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    634

    Re: fat pixel digital backs

    Quote Originally Posted by Jan View Post
    Sorry for the late reply since now only I noticed your posting. It is indeed about the mount, Phase One has backs for several mounts and Hasselblad is the V-mount indeed. Files can be processed in C1 but are also accepted by other software programs such as Photoshop and Lightroom.

    This image is quite a few years ago since I own a P25+ already for several years, which I am willing to part with. Together with the SWC/M is an option.
    Hi Jan. Thank you for your answer. And me too : rather late answer while my eyes didn't caught it before now. Best Thorkil

  5. #355
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: fat pixel digital backs

    The Griffith Observatory

    Hasselblad H2 + HC 80mm f/2.8 + Phase One P25 Digital Back

    http://dezfoto.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

  6. #356
    Senior Member dave.gt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, USA
    Posts
    913
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: fat pixel digital backs

    Quote Originally Posted by DezFoto View Post
    The Griffith Observatory

    Hasselblad H2 + HC 80mm f/2.8 + Phase One P25 Digital Back

    I love this one, thanks, Dez!

    As I keep looking at ''this image, I find it stunning, and I cannot imagine how anything could make it better. Would a contemporary 50mp back make it better? If so, in what way?
    Best regards,
    Dave (GT)

  7. #357
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: fat pixel digital backs

    Quote Originally Posted by dave.gt View Post
    I love this one, thanks, Dez!

    As I keep looking at ''this image, I find it stunning, and I cannot imagine how anything could make it better. Would a contemporary 50mp back make it better? If so, in what way?
    Thank you so much!

    Well, a 50mp CMOS back would give you more dynamic range (mostly in the shadows), more pixels for printing larger (22mp gives you plenty or printing ability) and a much, much broader range of acceptable ISO settings. This was shot at ISO 50 on a tripod. So while a 50mp CMOS back may not give you a better image in a creative sense, it's much, much less limited in how you can work with it. Personally I prefer the "look" of the older "fat pixel" CCD backs over the newer CMOS designs, but that's mostly a personal preference thing. If you have a film background, think of it like the difference between working with print and slide film.

  8. #358
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Palo Alto CA
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like

    Post Re: fat pixel digital backs

    I have been using a PhaseOne P20 on my hasselblad for years. Kind of on and off. I want to keep my V system, am very attached to it... I am beginning to have a hankering for the CFV 50C. Is that too a "Fat Pixel" back? and forgive me if this is covered somewhere in this forum, what is a fat pixel and what is the advantage?

    Any thoughts on the 50c?

    ~Tom Upton
    Palo Alto

  9. #359
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Hamburg/Beijing
    Posts
    315
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    12

    Re: fat pixel digital backs

    "Fat pixels" is a reference to the size of the pixels on the sensor.
    i would say fat pixel by old definition would end with P45+ sensors, where the size is 6.8 microns.

    the 50mp chip by sony used in the 50c has a pixel size of 5.3 microns. since the sensor size is smaller than the one in the p45+ and higher pixel density, i wouldnt consider is a fat pixel back, maybe once we have 200mp chips we will change the definition

    *edit* if i had a chance to get a p25+ in contax mount, i would buy it instantly, but those are hard to come by.

  10. #360
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Ashbourne UK
    Posts
    127
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: fat pixel digital backs

    I have some files of comparative subjects, taken on different days, and with different lenses, these were shot as test images. The lighting was much the same a dull overcast day. Whilst I acknowledge that I used different lenses, and the depth of field variations are quite apparent. I'm not in anyway making any direct comparisons, the P21+ certainly can hold it's own with a much newer 50mp sensor, in the right conditions.

    However the fact that I shot the Pentax 645Z at ISO 3200 does indeed make the P21+ seriously undergunned in the ISO department. It is still a great back if your prepared to accept the limitations, prints from the P21+ are simply lovely, with a very subtle tone curve. Prints from the Z are as to be expected a notch up from the 21+, with a much greater degree of clarity and sharpness. I would expect that from a 50mp sensor.

    The Zed has an insane amount of shadow recovery, without the usual amplified noise. The P21+ has a similar degree of shadow recovery, but, and here is the but, the noise is simply too great. What I will say and feel without doubt that the P21+ produces a file that has superb colour right from the get go.

    All the files were processed in Lightroom, I know that Phase One files are best processed in Capture One, however for me, my workflow is best suited to Lightroom.

    Name:  _IMG3908-Edit.jpg
Views: 2198
Size:  669.7 KB

    Name:  CF066341.jpg
Views: 2179
Size:  576.1 KB

    Name:  _IMG3911.jpg
Views: 2161
Size:  798.3 KB

    Name:  CF066342-Edit.jpg
Views: 2168
Size:  489.7 KB
    http://www.thebigpicturegallery.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

  11. #361
    Senior Member danlindberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Spain & Sweden
    Posts
    1,276
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: fat pixel digital backs



    I bought my Leaf Aptus 5 II new as soon as it came out in 2009. It does not see much action now, collecting dust in my safe, I think I have around 7000 exposures in 8 years......I need to charge the batteries and give it a spin!

    Beautiful rendering!
    Alpa MAX • TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Credo 60 | Hasselblad X1D | XCD 90 | www.danlindberg.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

  12. #362
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Guelph, Canada
    Posts
    169
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: fat pixel digital backs

    Quote Originally Posted by dave.gt View Post
    Time to keep this thread going!

    Question:
    Since joining this forum, well-populated by my talented colleagues, I have seen amazing images with fat pixel backs. I am a believer! My "faith" has no technical facts for support or even side by side visual comparisons with new digital backs like our 50c, though.

    It would be great to see how a current Sony 50mp back renders an image side by side with fat pixel backs! Does anyone have images for comparison already? Dies anyone want to test the two side by side?

    I would have already done a comparison test if I had a fat pixel back. Hopefully someone has access to two backs and will post comparisons!!!

    I now have both a Leaf Aptus 22 (the predecessor to Dan's 5 II with the same sensor I believe) in H mount and an IQ250 (with the Sony 50MP CMOS sensor) in Mamiya mount and I would like to shoot some comparisons with them for fun (nothing scientific). Since they are different mounts I can't use the same SLR lenses with them (unless I picked up a Hasselblad V to Mamiya adaptor) but I can use them both on my tech cam.

    I haven't done any direct comparisons but I will second what has been said above; very similar to working with slide vs print film. The older CCD back has more limited dynamic range and a much more restrictive "shooting envelope", however when you get it right there is "something" about the files that is magical.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  13. #363
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    58
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    47

    Re: fat pixel digital backs

    P25 + 120mm Macro (non D) Handheld

    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

  14. #364
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: fat pixel digital backs

    Can I play? Hasselblad 500 c/m, 60mm f/3.5, Phase One P25

    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

  15. #365
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Guelph, Canada
    Posts
    169
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: fat pixel digital backs

    Quote Originally Posted by nathantw View Post
    Can I play? Hasselblad 500 c/m, 60mm f/3.5, Phase One P25
    Absolutely. Assuming your pixels meet the minimum weight requirements, of course!
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  16. #366
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: fat pixel digital backs

    500 c/m, 180mm f/4 CF, Phase One P25
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  17. #367
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: fat pixel digital backs

    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

  18. #368
    Senior Member dave.gt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, USA
    Posts
    913
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: fat pixel digital backs

    Nathan,

    Exquisite images. Wow! I am convinced there is something magical about these fat pixel backs! I am still trying to get a real side by side comparison... but, short of buying one myself, I must be content and thankful for posts like these to admire!

    The color, the dramatic contrasts, all very well done!
    Best regards,
    Dave (GT)
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  19. #369
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: fat pixel digital backs

    Here's a black and white architecture shot:

    Hasselblad H2 + Phase One P25 back + 80mm f/2.8 lens with 1.7 teleconverter

    http://dezfoto.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  20. #370
    Member Jan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    200
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: fat pixel digital backs

    Marina Bay Financial District | Singapore
    SWC | Phase One P25+

    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  21. #371
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    202
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: fat pixel digital backs

    Hi all,

    I have too many of those amazing fat pixel backs, so I posted some in the For Sale section.

    Maybe someone is interested. Don΄t hesitate to contact me.

    Best regards,

    Oliver

  22. #372
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: fat pixel digital backs

    500 c/m, 80mm, Phase One P25
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  23. #373
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    72
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: fat pixel digital backs

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L_000268-Pano-2ex.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	996.8 KB 
ID:	133013

    SWC + Aptus 22
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

  24. #374
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Reunion Island, Indian Ocean
    Posts
    295
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    49

    Re: fat pixel digital backs

    Quote Originally Posted by nhn View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L_000268-Pano-2ex.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	996.8 KB 
ID:	133013SWC + Aptus 22
    What a beautiful shot of an awesome landscape ! Color, depth of field,composition and mood everything speaks to me in it ; thank you !
    ---------------------------------
    http://stef974.tumblr.com/
    ---------------------------------
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  25. #375
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    West Yorkshire,United Kingdom
    Posts
    94
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Just keeping it alive!

    Hello everybody.
    I am sorry I cant show you any lovely ladies but here is a photo of a photographer!
    SWCM and P30Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CF045965_2.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	411.5 KB 
ID:	133186Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CF045965_1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	184.1 KB 
ID:	133185
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  26. #376
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    visalia ca.
    Posts
    21
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: fat pixel digital backs

    hello, it's interesting that i came across this discussion, because for the last few months i have gone back to my hasselblad cfv 16 images and converted those that had the potential, to be made into black and white images. the print size was only 9x9 or 7x7 for platinum prints. i used epson legacy fibre paper on an epson 3880 printer. the images just looked like they were printed from film. there seems to be a shoulder in the high values with a small toe in the shadow areas. the images have a quality i have never been able, in black and white, to duplicate. in the near future i will post a few. but alas when the nikon d800e came out i sold the cfv 16 because more mp's would make my images better, right. like some of you i am pondering getting a fat pixel back. for me it would be for b&w only. for color i do like my nikon d850 with nothing but zeiss lenses, wife has the d800e with all the auto focus nikon lenses. i have been looking at many different outfits, contax with phase one p25+, mamiya rz67 but it weighs a ton. i don't like the older phase one cameras, so i think my best bet would be a haselblad h3d ii 22. any other ideas out there?
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  27. #377
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    visalia ca.
    Posts
    21
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: fat pixel digital backs

    pulled the trigger.

    just received a pristine and i mean pristine hasselblad h3dii 22 with 80mm lens. will spend the week understanding it completely, than take it next weekend to yosemite for a workout.
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

  28. #378
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    visalia ca.
    Posts
    21
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: fat pixel digital backs

    went to washburn point in yosemite last friday for lunch to try out my, new for me, hasselblad h3d ii 22. had sign at the turnoff for glacier point of 30-90 min. wait for parking space. summer in yosemte is horrible. plenty of parking at washburn point though. my wife and i only live 90 min from yosemite, 60 min. from kings canyon np and 35 min. from sequoia np, so a little drive to any of the parks is very easy. had cloudless sky and normal summer haze in the sky. took this picture of mt. starr king off the glacier point road. the hasselblad files are easy to work with. yosemite is made for black and white which is what the hasselblad will be used for.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mt starr king.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	809.4 KB 
ID:	134653
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

  29. #379
    Senior Member dave.gt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, USA
    Posts
    913
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: fat pixel digital backs

    Quote Originally Posted by david distefano View Post
    went to washburn point in yosemite last friday for lunch to try out my, new for me, hasselblad h3d ii 22. had sign at the turnoff for glacier point of 30-90 min. wait for parking space. summer in yosemte is horrible. plenty of parking at washburn point though. my wife and i only live 90 min from yosemite, 60 min. from kings canyon np and 35 min. from sequoia np, so a little drive to any of the parks is very easy. had cloudless sky and normal summer haze in the sky. took this picture of mt. starr king off the glacier point road. the hasselblad files are easy to work with. yosemite is made for black and white which is what the hasselblad will be used for.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mt starr king.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	809.4 KB 
ID:	134653
    Love this!!! Having never seen this location, I appreciate your sharing this image!

    I happen to be a huge fan of fat pixel backs, so please continue posting. Great start to what will be a fine relationship, I am sure.
    Best regards,
    Dave (GT)

  30. #380
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    visalia ca.
    Posts
    21
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: fat pixel digital backs

    Quote Originally Posted by dave.gt View Post
    Love this!!! Having never seen this location, I appreciate your sharing this image!

    I happen to be a huge fan of fat pixel backs, so please continue posting. Great start to what will be a fine relationship, I am sure.
    thank you very much. my wife and i are preparing to leave sunday for the olympic peninsula for a 3 or 4 week vacation. will post after we return.

  31. #381
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    visalia ca.
    Posts
    21
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: fat pixel digital backs

    just got back from the very cool northwest, suppose to be 103 today where i live. will be working on pics soon. but i had a little time today so i shot my granddaughters doll with the h3dll-22 with standard 80mm lens and with my nikon d850 with zeiss otus 85mm lens. the nikon with the otus lens is very sharp, considerable more than the hasselblad but 1) the transition of tonalities in the face is so much better with the hasselblad and 2) its not just me but everyone in the home that can speak agrees that the hasselblad image has a definite 3D look. while the nikon is sharper it is also flat looking. converting it to my b&w workflow it is no contest, the hasselblad wins. i bought the hasselblad for black and white work only but the 3D look of the hasselblad is so much better than the nikon. i would like to shoot with an older ccd 50 mp back such as the h4d-50 for its ability to print larger which i like to do and see if the 3D look is the same.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  32. #382
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    visalia ca.
    Posts
    21
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: fat pixel digital backs

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slot 1 sharpened & eb copy a copy.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	938.8 KB 
ID:	134963Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slot canyon #6 b&w master file copy.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	955.7 KB 
ID:	134964

    here a couple more from the hasselblad cfv-16. i print these images with a little warmth.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  33. #383
    Senior Member dave.gt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, USA
    Posts
    913
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: fat pixel digital backs

    Quote Originally Posted by Deltona View Post
    I have some files of comparative subjects, taken on different days, and with different lenses, these were shot as test images. The lighting was much the same a dull overcast day. Whilst I acknowledge that I used different lenses, and the depth of field variations are quite apparent. I'm not in anyway making any direct comparisons, the P21+ certainly can hold it's own with a much newer 50mp sensor, in the right conditions.

    However the fact that I shot the Pentax 645Z at ISO 3200 does indeed make the P21+ seriously undergunned in the ISO department. It is still a great back if your prepared to accept the limitations, prints from the P21+ are simply lovely, with a very subtle tone curve. Prints from the Z are as to be expected a notch up from the 21+, with a much greater degree of clarity and sharpness. I would expect that from a 50mp sensor.

    The Zed has an insane amount of shadow recovery, without the usual amplified noise. The P21+ has a similar degree of shadow recovery, but, and here is the but, the noise is simply too great. What I will say and feel without doubt that the P21+ produces a file that has superb colour right from the get go.

    All the files were processed in Lightroom, I know that Phase One files are best processed in Capture One, however for me, my workflow is best suited to Lightroom.

    Name:  _IMG3908-Edit.jpg
Views: 2198
Size:  669.7 KB

    Name:  CF066341.jpg
Views: 2179
Size:  576.1 KB

    Name:  _IMG3911.jpg
Views: 2161
Size:  798.3 KB

    Name:  CF066342-Edit.jpg
Views: 2168
Size:  489.7 KB
    It has been awhile since Nick has posted this, and with a refreshed eye and mind (in some respects), it occurs to me that I now have an opportunity to do my own real world comparison of a Fat Pixel digital back with the 50c digital back residing on the H5.

    Thanks to Steve Hendrix at CI, a Phase One P20+ back is available to rent. IIRC, it may be a V mount which is great. With the 6x6 mask in the H5, composing is a snap for comparisons.

    Both of us prefer actual use comparisons, not technical brick wall/step by step comparisons which is great for me since I lean more to the artistic rather than scientific renderings. No two images are ever the same for me, either in shooting or processing. I prefer to work with each image to obtain the observed "best" I can pull from each file.

    I recently did just that with the H5D-50c and the tiny mirrorless, fixed lens Leica X1 that I use extensively for casual purposes and as a "Polaroid" for previews and exposure settings to transfer to my 503cxi and Rolleiflex TLR. The results were interesting. Not surprising to me was the hands-down winner was the magnificent H5D-50c. But I was impressed that the DNG files from the Leica X1 held their own even when the images were enlarged to closely match the size of the FFF files from the H5D-50c (shot with 80mm lens v 35mm equivalent lens for the X1).

    I suspect after comparing my 8-yr old to the 50c sounds ludicrous to some but it was interesting to see the limitations of the small sensor and to work with the differences in color rendering, dynamic range and, of course, widely different resolutions. In the end, I now know when I can use the diminutive pocket camera and when I should pass and use something more suited for the "end-use".

    So, if I can sell something this week to raise the cash for yet another rental, I will move forward with comparing the old P20+ with the 50c. Why? It will certainly be fun! Besides, Nick's exquisite work with his P21+ has long been an inspiration. Thanks, Nick!
    Best regards,
    Dave (GT)
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  34. #384
    Senior Member dave.gt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, USA
    Posts
    913
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: fat pixel digital backs

    For those who may be interested, I have been impressed by this gentleman's work with the P+ digital backs:

    https://www.artlimited.net/pierrepellegrini
    Best regards,
    Dave (GT)
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  35. #385
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    visalia ca.
    Posts
    21
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: fat pixel digital backs

    first sorry about the oversized attachments of my last images sent. i forgot to resize them. here are the doll images from the nikon d850 with otus 85mm lens shot at f1.4 and the hasselblad h3dll-22 with 80mm lens shot at f2.8. i wanted to see each lens ability wide open. there has been no sharpening to either image. nikon top hasselblad bottom. jpeg conversion really distorts the differences between the cameras, but i think you can get the feel of the flatness look of the nikon even though it is sharper, while the hasselblad has a more lifelike look to it. also the jpeg images show a lot of blown high lights, while the raw images show only blown highlights on the pacifier.

    Name:  20180706-_8500577.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  282.7 KBName:  B_0000_prv.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  292.2 KB

  36. #386
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    visalia ca.
    Posts
    21
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: fat pixel digital backs

    here is the pictures of the doll. hasselblad h3dll-22 with 80mm lens top, and nikon d850 with otus 85mm lens bottom. both images were shot with lenses wide open so i could see the differences. there has been no sharpening to either image. the jpeg conversion from raw had a profound impact on each image especially the blown highlights. in the raw images the only part blown out was the pacifier. even with these drawbacks i think you can see the flatness of the nikon image vs the lifelike look of the hasselblad even though the nikon is sharper. also as a side note, when i shot the zeiss otus against the nikon 85mm lens the otus looked much warmer than the nikon, yet the otus looks so much cooler than the hasselblad lens. it was 101 yesterday so my wife and i are leaving tomorrow for a few days at Monterrey bay to cool down. the hasselblad at point lobos will be one of our destinations.
    Name:  B_0000_prv.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  292.2 KBName:  20180706-_8500577.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  282.7 KB
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  37. #387
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Ashbourne UK
    Posts
    127
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: fat pixel digital backs

    Quote Originally Posted by dave.gt View Post
    For those who may be interested, I have been impressed by this gentleman's work with the P+ digital backs:

    https://www.artlimited.net/pierrepellegrini
    Indeed so super work, great find David

  38. #388
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    67
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: fat pixel digital backs

    Very Kenna-esque

    Quote Originally Posted by dave.gt View Post
    For those who may be interested, I have been impressed by this gentleman's work with the P+ digital backs:

    https://www.artlimited.net/pierrepellegrini

  39. #389
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    West Yorkshire,United Kingdom
    Posts
    94
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Temple Newsam Front

    Hasselblad SWCM,Phase One P30
    Location: Temple Newsam,Leeds. Just oiling this thread
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Temple Newsam Front.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	213.9 KB 
ID:	135038
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  40. #390
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: fat pixel digital backs

    Here's another from the Hasselblad H2 + 80mm and P25 back.
    http://dezfoto.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  41. #391
    Senior Member dave.gt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, USA
    Posts
    913
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: fat pixel digital backs

    I am fascinated by these older fat pixel backs... thanks!
    Best regards,
    Dave (GT)
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  42. #392
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: fat pixel digital backs

    Also with the H2, 80mm and P25

    http://dezfoto.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  43. #393
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    58
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    47

    Re: fat pixel digital backs

    P25 | 120mm Macro Handheld.

    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

  44. #394
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    202
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: fat pixel digital backs

    Contax 645 with 80mm and Sinar Emotion 22
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carla_vor_lilien_insta_001.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	607.6 KB 
ID:	135108  
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

  45. #395
    Senior Member Steve Hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    485
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: fat pixel digital backs

    Quote Originally Posted by fotolli View Post
    Contax 645 with 80mm and Sinar Emotion 22

    Very nice.
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: • Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar • Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: • Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar • Authorized Reseller

  46. #396
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    West Yorkshire,United Kingdom
    Posts
    94
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: fat pixel digital backs

    @fotolli; Contax 645 with 80mm and Sinar Emotion 22

    Very nice. Any fill in flash used? Thanks.

  47. #397
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    202
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: fat pixel digital backs

    thanks a lot!

    no flash, but a small silver reflector panel for a bit of fill
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  48. #398
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    West Yorkshire,United Kingdom
    Posts
    94
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Local Town Hall

    I was just driving pass our local town hall which was lit to turn in into solid gold,fortunately I had my camera with me.
    503CX,CF 40 FLE, Phase One P30. Side buildings cropped out.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Town Hall CF 40 Phase One P30.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	851.1 KB 
ID:	135131
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

  49. #399
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    visalia ca.
    Posts
    21
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: fat pixel digital backs

    hello, need some tech. help.

    ever since my first attachment of mt. starr king (on pg 8), which was almost the same as the raw image, subsequent images that i have converted to jpegs to show here, have deviated more and more from my original final raw image. it is being done in photoshop cs5. the doll image is way off and ones after the doll, the 2 slot canyon images, continue the decline in image quality. those that i worked on, that i have wanted to attach are even worse. i have even tried different acceptable file extensions with no luck. i would like to contribute but the images now would be an embarrassment, both to this forum and myself. any suggestions.

  50. #400
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    West Yorkshire,United Kingdom
    Posts
    94
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: fat pixel digital backs

    Quote Originally Posted by david distefano View Post
    hello, need some tech. help.

    ever since my first attachment of mt. starr king (on pg 8), which was almost the same as the raw image, subsequent images that i have converted to jpegs to show here, have deviated more and more from my original final raw image. it is being done in photoshop cs5. the doll image is way off and ones after the doll, the 2 slot canyon images, continue the decline in image quality. those that i worked on, that i have wanted to attach are even worse. i have even tried different acceptable file extensions with no luck. i would like to contribute but the images now would be an embarrassment, both to this forum and myself. any suggestions.
    My method is,after applying any changes to originals (saved as tff or jpegs) I open the save image in PS> automat>fit image> input around ie 1600 to longer side and save as jpeg for internet.
    I hope I understood your topic otherwise please ignore. Regards.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •