The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

fat pixel digital backs

Just took a look at this thread for the first time. I must say that when I was shooting the P25+ it had a special look with the bigger pixel size. Here are some photos we did in the past for 3 Michelin Star Restaurant L'Arpege.

johnnygoesdigital

Malmac-

If you click on the image it opens to a better viewing size. Personally, I like scaling them down with the option to click, it makes loading pages that are heavy with images quicker to view and read.

johnnygoesdigital

Jmosier01-

Jeff, you're one of the best portrait/lighting photographers i've seen. Very creative and artful. I'm grateful for the chance to have worked with you...

It's okay that you've obviously cut and pasted my body on to some other dudes head:)

Seriously, you think that guy could hit a gym once in a while..

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I hope so! :thumbs:

I think the key to making this a long-term thread is getting a steady stream of "fat pixel" images here.

I will do my best to get out and shoot more often with my CFV-16II....and post the images here.

Gary
Thats what I hope too .

And . . . . not to forget , there is a 5 star photographer here as a member , who surely can add tons of fantastic images shot with his LEAF APTUS II-5 . Dan Lindberg . :thumbs:

The LEAF APTUS II-5 is a fat pixel back ? ? ?

I had the DM33/Aptus II7 and whilst not a 9um, it did have lovely colours, naturally from the back. I always thought it was just the profiles, but having re-processed some of those old files, they have a real natural quality to them that is there with the big guns but seems to require more work.

bensonga

What I would like to know from the interested shooters :
What cameras and lenses do you use to shoot with your Fat Pixel Back
and why do you like the (results) 9µ backs .
I hate to admit how few images I have actually taken with my CFV-16II and I've only used 3 lenses on it: 40mm CFE IF, 100mm CFi and 120mm Makro CFi.

All three seem to work very well with the CFV-16, but I think my favorite (again, based on limited experience) is the 100mm f3.5 lens. But then again, I simply love that lens on film too.

Gary

danlindberg

Thats what I hope too .

And . . . . not to forget , there is a 5 star photographer here as a member , who surely can add tons of fantastic images shot with his LEAF APTUS II-5 . Dan Lindberg . :thumbs:

The LEAF APTUS II-5 is a fat pixel back ? ? ?

You are too kind my friend! :salute:

mmbma

Is cfv39 considered a fat pixel back? probably mid pixel? I have an opportunity to get into a CFV 16 at 4k and CFV39 at 6k. equal conditions. Which one should I go for? This is for leisure. I use a P65+ for work

robertwright

So is the consensus that these 9micron backs ~22mp are great at base ISO which is likely 50 or 100 and then really not so good at 400?

My application is location portraiture and sometimes you need ISO 400 to drag the background up even though you are lighting the portrait with strobe, you need the fill level.

For example a likely exposure is f8 1/15 at 400ISO- just enough drag to keep the background lively.

I will also just shoot ambient at 100Iso, say 1/2second on tripod.

Are these likely to be fails on a fatback?

Should I be saving my scant pennies for a back that can do decent 400? If so what is likely to be south of 10k? considering i like wides too- I know, make it impossible.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
So is the consensus that these 9micron backs ~22mp are great at base ISO which is likely 50 or 100 and then really not so good at 400?

My application is location portraiture and sometimes you need ISO 400 to drag the background up even though you are lighting the portrait with strobe, you need the fill level.

For example a likely exposure is f8 1/15 at 400ISO- just enough drag to keep the background lively.

I will also just shoot ambient at 100Iso, say 1/2second on tripod.

Are these likely to be fails on a fatback?

Should I be saving my scant pennies for a back that can do decent 400? If so what is likely to be south of 10k? considering i like wides too- I know, make it impossible.
A P25+ at ISO400 has a moderate amount of grain, but processed in Capture One v7 it can be, in my opinion, beautiful. It could be had for significantly less than 10k (back only) and probably under 10k in a kit that would suit the needs you describe.

Asking for other people's opinions on what will be "usable" in an ISO range is to some extent a fool's errand as everyone has very different definitions of "usable" and different aesthetics.

I'd get in touch with a local dealer and ask for some raw files, or better yet, to shoot your own (in the situations that are typical for you) and process them yourself and see what works for you and what doesn't.

But yes, in general, the fat-pixel backs were earlier generation models. And in general those earlier models did not do great at higher ISOs. Advances in raw processing (like Capture One v7) mean that someone who used the back most recently years ago will likely have an out-of-date opinion about what ISOs they could make work for them.

Many of the backs on that list would have no problem with 1 sec at ISO100. Its the ISO400 question that would challenge many/most of those backs.

Mammy645

Like Doug says, it's best you test for yourself, but in my own opinion I find 400 ISO with my P25 (non +) to be no problem at all as long as you don't underexpose it. Even 800 ISO is usable in a pinch (reduced resolution though), especially converted to B&W.

KeithL

Many of the backs on that list would have no problem with 1 sec at ISO100. Its the ISO400 question that would challenge many/most of those backs.
Doug, just out of interest, what if any problems would you anticipate for exposures of greater than 1 sec at base ISO?

pyrojim

I was just in the studio a few days ago watching the kid play with our view camera with the P25+. It reminded me of one thing I never had to do with the files--apply an unsharp mask.

So, remind me again why having tons of pixels is important?
Careful with that name calling. im probably the youngest one here!

danlindberg

I indeed have plenty of fat pixel back photographs. Nice to see a dedicated thread for this kind of back. I can help to post once in a while Leaf Aptus II 5 photographs. I have many not published. This was one of the first I did publish here with the Aptus :)

It was actually handheld and underexposed two stops. Using the Alpa SWA & SK 35 XL without CF.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Doug, just out of interest, what if any problems would you anticipate for exposures of greater than 1 sec at base ISO?
The backs that don't handle long exposure well would produce excessive stuck/hot pixels and would have poor shadow color accuracy. Some of the "fat pixel" backs are only supported in raw processing software which was not meaningfully updated as newer/better algorithms were developed. This is one major advantage of a Phase (and most of the Leaf model) fat pixel back: they are supported in Capture One v7 which is a full 10 years newer than some of these digital backs and breath new life into them especially concerning mid-to-high ISO performance and long exposure exposure.

M

mjr

Afternoon!

I love the results from my P25+ on the Alpa, shame I so rarely get to use it, it'll likely be up for sale as a complete kit soon rather than see it sit unused.

Here are a couple of random shots of different styles.

Cheers

Mat

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I wish I still had this back to be honest with a tech cam be great to have this option today. I'm taking donations. LOL