The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

fat pixel digital backs

arionelli

I had to go back to May 2013 to find this thread.

With the latest improvements in technology, perhaps "Fat Pixels" aren't so special anymore?

I certainly don't shoot with the CFV-16II much now...not that I ever did.

To my eyes, on my grungy laptop screen, your pic here has a fantastic impression of texture in the painted concrete...dare I say it...2 point something dimensional :)

arionelli

You guys need to grow a pair. ;)

Get in there and display your work on the fun with MFD ... it barks with all the big dogs, and then some.

IMO, there is NO lowly MFD ... it is all good. Big is good.

- Marc
Marc
I never stop being impressed by the uncanny knack you have of gettting to the nub of a thing, whether you are laying out a swathe of technical merits and demerits or reflecting on something that sits at the core of why any of us, the seasoned pro rummaging through his toolbox or the dabbling amateur (myself eg) in awe of his delicate precision instrument picks up a (mf) camera. I'm sure it has to do with something more even than the fact that you have just about done it all in photography.
If I may use one word...inspiring!
Best wishes
Martin

Paratom

Professional

I feel very much the same here . And I work with a CFV-39 and CFV-50 (only) . I feel a "kind of ignorance" for some brands here in this forum resulting in a somewhat low esteem , although absolutely undeserved .
I noticed that also in other threads , for example in the µFT threads .
It makes me kind of sad and I am sure it won't change , as it has been like that already for a long time .
If it makes you feel better - I even post images from a "crop" Leica S with "just" 36MP in the MF thread.

MaxKißler

Max,

I definitely think that the graphical arrangement and colour/texture contrast of the earlier version is a much stronger image. The very bold lines of the background with the blending of the dress combined with the pop of the face / lips / blouse against the striped background work very well.

Btw, try it with a crop vertically where the white background diagonal meets the right side too and see what you think. ;)
Hi Graham,

haven't seen your reply till now. I'm glad you and others like that image. Though I admit, if I were shooting it today, I'd probably do it differently.

Is this what you meant?

View attachment 79421

Regards,

Max

mmbma

I am in a similar boat. Do you ever worry about that one day these older backs will mal function and there would be no way to fix them and all the residual value would be gone?

I don't shoot with it much often now, but still love it. yet I don't want it to go dead on me...

Hi Jurgen. Good to hear from you. I hope all is well and that it is not too cold and snowy there in Germany this winter.

I nearly sold my CFV to a close friend last year, but fortunately for me, he didn't have the funds readily available and I came to my senses pretty quickly. He has since moved on to higher resolution DSLRs and a Leica M9.

Although I don't use the CFV much (the last time was in 2011), I've always hated the thought of parting with it. It's probably not worth much now anyways, so I might as well hold on to it.

On the few times I have sold some of my camera gear, I've often regretted it later. In fact, the only photo gear I've sold that I didn't regret was my micro 4/3rds equipment.

Do you still have the CFV-39....or was it a CFV-50?

Happy holidays to you!

Gary

bensonga

I am in a similar boat. Do you ever worry about that one day these older backs will mal function and there would be no way to fix them and all the residual value would be gone?

I don't shoot with it much often now, but still love it. yet I don't want it to go dead on me...
Yes, I do worry a little about getting it fixed if something were to go wrong, especially with the direction Hasselblad has been taking lately. Nothing much I can do about it I guess, since I don't want to sell it. I'm not too concerned about losing it's residual value. I feel that all of my gear is a "sunk cost" and will just continue depreciating with time, so at this point, if the CFV-16II was completely inoperable, I'd only be out $3-$4k.

Gary

Last edited:

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I wish i could get a Good used CFV-16 because I regret that I gave mine away .
Your image shows two stores of interest .
Cameras and modeltrains .:thumbs:

PSon

Jürgen,
It is interesting that you brought up the two stores of interest to you. Let me further elaborate on this tale of two stores:
The original owner of Allied Model Train actually was the builder of the current Samy's Camera store. In fact he still owns the building. He gets double rental incomes, one from Samy's Camera and the other one for the cell tower. Allied Model Train was originally located in the building where the camera store is currently now. The Allied Model Train store you see in the photo is the new current location but it is no longer own by the original owner but is now belong to his former employee.

As for the CFV16 digital backs, I actually like the skin tone on the CFV16 more than my P25+. I have 4 CFV16 and 2 P25+ digital backs. I guess I do like the fat pixel backs. I also once own the Sinar eMotion 54LV. The image below was taken with this back and the Hasselblad Superachromat 300mm F2.8 at F5.6.

PSon

Gary,
I am glad you have one of the CFV16 digital back in fact your is the second version. Just don't forget to use it sometimes among all of your great photographic gears, which you have quite a collection.

Thanks for the complement. This image has even more meaning when you use your very best gears along with all of your best photographic techniques to capture your most beloved figure, in this case it was my father.
Best Regards,
-Son

Last edited: