The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

fat pixel digital backs

danlindberg

I bought my Leaf Aptus 5 II new as soon as it came out in 2009. It does not see much action now, collecting dust in my safe, I think I have around 7000 exposures in 8 years......I need to charge the batteries and give it a spin!

Beautiful rendering!

med

Time to keep this thread going!

Question:
Since joining this forum, well-populated by my talented colleagues, I have seen amazing images with fat pixel backs. I am a believer! My "faith" has no technical facts for support or even side by side visual comparisons with new digital backs like our 50c, though.

It would be great to see how a current Sony 50mp back renders an image side by side with fat pixel backs! Does anyone have images for comparison already? Dies anyone want to test the two side by side?

I would have already done a comparison test if I had a fat pixel back. Hopefully someone has access to two backs and will post comparisons!!!:):):)

I now have both a Leaf Aptus 22 (the predecessor to Dan's 5 II with the same sensor I believe) in H mount and an IQ250 (with the Sony 50MP CMOS sensor) in Mamiya mount and I would like to shoot some comparisons with them for fun (nothing scientific). Since they are different mounts I can't use the same SLR lenses with them (unless I picked up a Hasselblad V to Mamiya adaptor) but I can use them both on my tech cam.

I haven't done any direct comparisons but I will second what has been said above; very similar to working with slide vs print film. The older CCD back has more limited dynamic range and a much more restrictive "shooting envelope", however when you get it right there is "something" about the files that is magical.

dave.gt

Nathan,

Exquisite images. Wow! I am convinced there is something magical about these fat pixel backs! I am still trying to get a real side by side comparison... but, short of buying one myself, I must be content and thankful for posts like these to admire!:):):)

The color, the dramatic contrasts, all very well done!:thumbup:

DezFoto

Here's a black and white architecture shot:

Hasselblad H2 + Phase One P25 back + 80mm f/2.8 lens with 1.7 teleconverter

fotolli

Hi all,

I have too many of those amazing fat pixel backs, so I posted some in the For Sale section.

Maybe someone is interested. Don´t hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,

Oliver

B L

Re: Just keeping it alive!

Hello everybody.
I am sorry I cant show you any lovely ladies but here is a photo of a photographer!
SWCM and P30CF045965_2.jpgCF045965_1.jpg

david distefano

hello, it's interesting that i came across this discussion, because for the last few months i have gone back to my hasselblad cfv 16 images and converted those that had the potential, to be made into black and white images. the print size was only 9x9 or 7x7 for platinum prints. i used epson legacy fibre paper on an epson 3880 printer. the images just looked like they were printed from film. there seems to be a shoulder in the high values with a small toe in the shadow areas. the images have a quality i have never been able, in black and white, to duplicate. in the near future i will post a few. but alas when the nikon d800e came out i sold the cfv 16 because more mp's would make my images better, right. like some of you i am pondering getting a fat pixel back. for me it would be for b&w only. for color i do like my nikon d850 with nothing but zeiss lenses, wife has the d800e with all the auto focus nikon lenses. i have been looking at many different outfits, contax with phase one p25+, mamiya rz67 but it weighs a ton. i don't like the older phase one cameras, so i think my best bet would be a haselblad h3d ii 22. any other ideas out there?

david distefano

pulled the trigger.

just received a pristine and i mean pristine hasselblad h3dii 22 with 80mm lens. will spend the week understanding it completely, than take it next weekend to yosemite for a workout.

david distefano

went to washburn point in yosemite last friday for lunch to try out my, new for me, hasselblad h3d ii 22. had sign at the turnoff for glacier point of 30-90 min. wait for parking space. summer in yosemte is horrible. plenty of parking at washburn point though. my wife and i only live 90 min from yosemite, 60 min. from kings canyon np and 35 min. from sequoia np, so a little drive to any of the parks is very easy. had cloudless sky and normal summer haze in the sky. took this picture of mt. starr king off the glacier point road. the hasselblad files are easy to work with. yosemite is made for black and white which is what the hasselblad will be used for.mt starr king.jpg

dave.gt

went to washburn point in yosemite last friday for lunch to try out my, new for me, hasselblad h3d ii 22. had sign at the turnoff for glacier point of 30-90 min. wait for parking space. summer in yosemte is horrible. plenty of parking at washburn point though. my wife and i only live 90 min from yosemite, 60 min. from kings canyon np and 35 min. from sequoia np, so a little drive to any of the parks is very easy. had cloudless sky and normal summer haze in the sky. took this picture of mt. starr king off the glacier point road. the hasselblad files are easy to work with. yosemite is made for black and white which is what the hasselblad will be used for.View attachment 134653
Love this!!! Having never seen this location, I appreciate your sharing this image!

I happen to be a huge fan of fat pixel backs, so please continue posting. Great start to what will be a fine relationship, I am sure.:):):)

david distefano

Love this!!! Having never seen this location, I appreciate your sharing this image!

I happen to be a huge fan of fat pixel backs, so please continue posting. Great start to what will be a fine relationship, I am sure.:):):)
thank you very much. my wife and i are preparing to leave sunday for the olympic peninsula for a 3 or 4 week vacation. will post after we return.