The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

fat pixel digital backs

david distefano

just got back from the very cool northwest, suppose to be 103 today where i live. will be working on pics soon. but i had a little time today so i shot my granddaughters doll with the h3dll-22 with standard 80mm lens and with my nikon d850 with zeiss otus 85mm lens. the nikon with the otus lens is very sharp, considerable more than the hasselblad but 1) the transition of tonalities in the face is so much better with the hasselblad and 2) its not just me but everyone in the home that can speak agrees that the hasselblad image has a definite 3D look. while the nikon is sharper it is also flat looking. converting it to my b&w workflow it is no contest, the hasselblad wins. i bought the hasselblad for black and white work only but the 3D look of the hasselblad is so much better than the nikon. i would like to shoot with an older ccd 50 mp back such as the h4d-50 for its ability to print larger which i like to do and see if the 3D look is the same.

dave.gt

I have some files of comparative subjects, taken on different days, and with different lenses, these were shot as test images. The lighting was much the same a dull overcast day. Whilst I acknowledge that I used different lenses, and the depth of field variations are quite apparent. I'm not in anyway making any direct comparisons, the P21+ certainly can hold it's own with a much newer 50mp sensor, in the right conditions.

However the fact that I shot the Pentax 645Z at ISO 3200 does indeed make the P21+ seriously undergunned in the ISO department. It is still a great back if your prepared to accept the limitations, prints from the P21+ are simply lovely, with a very subtle tone curve. Prints from the Z are as to be expected a notch up from the 21+, with a much greater degree of clarity and sharpness. I would expect that from a 50mp sensor.

The Zed has an insane amount of shadow recovery, without the usual amplified noise. The P21+ has a similar degree of shadow recovery, but, and here is the but, the noise is simply too great. What I will say and feel without doubt that the P21+ produces a file that has superb colour right from the get go.

All the files were processed in Lightroom, I know that Phase One files are best processed in Capture One, however for me, my workflow is best suited to Lightroom.

View attachment 131038

View attachment 131039

View attachment 131040

View attachment 131041
It has been awhile since Nick has posted this, and with a refreshed eye and mind (in some respects), it occurs to me that I now have an opportunity to do my own real world comparison of a Fat Pixel digital back with the 50c digital back residing on the H5.

Thanks to Steve Hendrix at CI, a Phase One P20+ back is available to rent. IIRC, it may be a V mount which is great. With the 6x6 mask in the H5, composing is a snap for comparisons.

Both of us prefer actual use comparisons, not technical brick wall/step by step comparisons which is great for me since I lean more to the artistic rather than scientific renderings. No two images are ever the same for me, either in shooting or processing. I prefer to work with each image to obtain the observed "best" I can pull from each file.

I recently did just that with the H5D-50c and the tiny mirrorless, fixed lens Leica X1 that I use extensively for casual purposes and as a "Polaroid" for previews and exposure settings to transfer to my 503cxi and Rolleiflex TLR. The results were interesting. Not surprising to me was the hands-down winner was the magnificent H5D-50c. But I was impressed that the DNG files from the Leica X1 held their own even when the images were enlarged to closely match the size of the FFF files from the H5D-50c (shot with 80mm lens v 35mm equivalent lens for the X1).

I suspect after comparing my 8-yr old to the 50c sounds ludicrous to some but it was interesting to see the limitations of the small sensor and to work with the differences in color rendering, dynamic range and, of course, widely different resolutions. In the end, I now know when I can use the diminutive pocket camera and when I should pass and use something more suited for the "end-use".

So, if I can sell something this week to raise the cash for yet another rental, I will move forward with comparing the old P20+ with the 50c. Why? It will certainly be fun! Besides, Nick's exquisite work with his P21+ has long been an inspiration. Thanks, Nick!:thumbs:

david distefano

first sorry about the oversized attachments of my last images sent. i forgot to resize them. here are the doll images from the nikon d850 with otus 85mm lens shot at f1.4 and the hasselblad h3dll-22 with 80mm lens shot at f2.8. i wanted to see each lens ability wide open. there has been no sharpening to either image. nikon top hasselblad bottom. jpeg conversion really distorts the differences between the cameras, but i think you can get the feel of the flatness look of the nikon even though it is sharper, while the hasselblad has a more lifelike look to it. also the jpeg images show a lot of blown high lights, while the raw images show only blown highlights on the pacifier.

20180706-_8500577.jpgB_0000_prv.jpg

david distefano

here is the pictures of the doll. hasselblad h3dll-22 with 80mm lens top, and nikon d850 with otus 85mm lens bottom. both images were shot with lenses wide open so i could see the differences. there has been no sharpening to either image. the jpeg conversion from raw had a profound impact on each image especially the blown highlights. in the raw images the only part blown out was the pacifier. even with these drawbacks i think you can see the flatness of the nikon image vs the lifelike look of the hasselblad even though the nikon is sharper. also as a side note, when i shot the zeiss otus against the nikon 85mm lens the otus looked much warmer than the nikon, yet the otus looks so much cooler than the hasselblad lens. it was 101 yesterday so my wife and i are leaving tomorrow for a few days at Monterrey bay to cool down. the hasselblad at point lobos will be one of our destinations.
B_0000_prv.jpg20180706-_8500577.jpg

B L

Re: Temple Newsam Front

Hasselblad SWCM,Phase One P30
Temple Newsam Front.jpg

B L

@fotolli; Contax 645 with 80mm and Sinar Emotion 22

Very nice. Any fill in flash used? Thanks.

B L

Re: Local Town Hall

I was just driving pass our local town hall which was lit to turn in into solid gold,fortunately I had my camera with me.
503CX,CF 40 FLE, Phase One P30. Side buildings cropped out.

Town Hall CF 40 Phase One P30.jpg

david distefano

hello, need some tech. help.

ever since my first attachment of mt. starr king (on pg 8), which was almost the same as the raw image, subsequent images that i have converted to jpegs to show here, have deviated more and more from my original final raw image. it is being done in photoshop cs5. the doll image is way off and ones after the doll, the 2 slot canyon images, continue the decline in image quality. those that i worked on, that i have wanted to attach are even worse. i have even tried different acceptable file extensions with no luck. i would like to contribute but the images now would be an embarrassment, both to this forum and myself. any suggestions.

B L

hello, need some tech. help.

ever since my first attachment of mt. starr king (on pg 8), which was almost the same as the raw image, subsequent images that i have converted to jpegs to show here, have deviated more and more from my original final raw image. it is being done in photoshop cs5. the doll image is way off and ones after the doll, the 2 slot canyon images, continue the decline in image quality. those that i worked on, that i have wanted to attach are even worse. i have even tried different acceptable file extensions with no luck. i would like to contribute but the images now would be an embarrassment, both to this forum and myself. any suggestions.
My method is,after applying any changes to originals (saved as tff or jpegs) I open the save image in PS> automat>fit image> input around ie 1600 to longer side and save as jpeg for internet.
I hope I understood your topic otherwise please ignore. Regards.