The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

fat pixel digital backs

david distefano

My method is,after applying any changes to originals (saved as tff or jpegs) I open the save image in PS> automat>fit image> input around ie 1600 to longer side and save as jpeg for internet.
I hope I understood your topic otherwise please ignore. Regards.
i will give that a shot tomorrow or monday. thank you for responding.

david distefano

went to mineral king in sequoia national park yesterday to get out of the valley, 104 degrees. unfortunately mineral king was warm and on thursday night/friday morning there were thunderstorms which ignited a fire. the park service was right on it and helicopters were brought in to dump water on the fire, which was put out. but smoke brought a haze to mineral king valley which made shooting difficult. also when wife and i left for our drive up, my truck had ash from the fire near yosemite. here in california, with over 100,000,000 trees dead, fire is a major concern.

david distefano

i just noticed something. just uploaded an image of rialto beach. instead of using my laptop i used my desktop that i use only for photographic work because the monitor is calibrated. on my desktop the image looks really nice as an upload to this website, on my laptop the image looks a little gritty and on my wife's desktop, it looks somewhere in between. i knew that there would be some difference but not to the extreme i am seeing. so when we upload an image here we can only hope that a person viewing an image has a screen that is positive for said image. i went back through all the pages on the forum to look again at the images posted, using my desktop, and images that i thought were so-so on my laptop took on a new quality on my desktop.

david distefano

i tried to post this yesterday but for some reason it wouldn't work.

when i posted the image of rialto beach, i did it on the desktop that is only used to process my images. the monitor is calibrated. the jpeg posted on this forum, viewed on the desktop looked very good. i decided to view it on my laptop and the image looked gritty. so i tried my wife's desktop and the image was somewhere between my desktop and my laptop. i went back and looked at all the images on this forum with my desktop and images that i thought were so-so on my laptop, looked so much better. i guess the moral of this post is, your image will only look as good as the monitor it is viewed on.

david distefano

hasselblad lens question:

i have the 80mm lens for the h3dll-22 camera and thinking of purchasing a second lens. it is only used for b&w landscape photography. new lenses are out of the question because of price. for my nikon d850 i only have zeiss primes, but because of size and weight of multiple primes, i was considering the 50-110 zoom which i know is one heavy lens. i have read both good and not so good reviews. because of price i was looking at the older version. for the wide end, at a later date i will pick up a 28mm lens, so no need for the 30-90mm lens. does anyone here have the larger zoom and what are your feelings on image quality or would the 120mm or 150mm be a better choice.

B L

hasselblad lens question:

i have the 80mm lens for the h3dll-22 camera and thinking of purchasing a second lens. it is only used for b&w landscape photography. new lenses are out of the question because of price. for my nikon d850 i only have zeiss primes, but because of size and weight of multiple primes, i was considering the 50-110 zoom which i know is one heavy lens. i have read both good and not so good reviews. because of price i was looking at the older version. for the wide end, at a later date i will pick up a 28mm lens, so no need for the 30-90mm lens. does anyone here have the larger zoom and what are your feelings on image quality or would the 120mm or 150mm be a better choice.
I adree with Stan about this lens. It is a fine lens if you can put up with weight. I eat one banana for some energy!
This lens, I am sure you can find at a good price.

satybhat

To me Fat Pixel is strictly 9 micron. But then again, what about 12 micron ?
How did I go for so long without seeing this thread !! Spent the last 2 hrs going through it.

So, 2 questions: if I was buying one, (have an H1 with 80 f2.8 that's collecting dust since years), what would you choose between a P30+ and a P25 (H-mount) ?

Also, does the exposure count make a difference when buying one? ie, do more exposures = worse quality / attrition?

Thanks!

med

How did I go for so long without seeing this thread !! Spent the last 2 hrs going through it.

So, 2 questions: if I was buying one, (have an H1 with 80 f2.8 that's collecting dust since years), what would you choose between a P30+ and a P25 (H-mount) ?

Also, does the exposure count make a difference when buying one? ie, do more exposures = worse quality / attrition?

Thanks!
Since there are no moving parts in a digital back (except for fans in some models, but not the Phase backs) then the shutter count does not necessarily matter.. how it was used matters quite a bit more. I.e two backs with 20,000 exposures, one never left the studio and one spent most of its time outdoors in adverse conditions that may be closer to a failure of some kind.

That being said, I did hear of one such studio-bound back with a low shutter count that failed. It turned out that although the shutter count was low, it was nearly always tethered and spent a lot of its life on, and therefore contributing to the death of the back nonetheless.

JoelM

Since there are no moving parts in a digital back (except for fans in some models, but not the Phase backs) then the shutter count does not necessarily matter..
Wait, are you saying that some digital backs have a moving fan? That blows me away. For astro, we've used piezo cooling for years.

Joel

med

Wait, are you saying that some digital backs have a moving fan? That blows me away. For astro, we've used piezo cooling for years.

Joel
Yes, at least Leaf aptus backs were made with a tiny cooling fan in the design, and I believe some of the Hasselblad CFV backs do as well. This, along with the associated vents, is one of the reasons why Phase backs are seen as more rugged or fit for outdoor use than others, as they do not have vents for sand/water/etc to get into or fans to fail.