The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

fat pixel digital backs

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Btw I wouldn’t be overly concerned by the fan in the Aptus backs. I’ve had a couple and other than the slightly annoying whine, they never caused any problems out in the field. I always worried about this but in the end it was never a concern, even in the rain. Ditto with the CFV 16 I had for a while.

I would agree though that there is a certain peace of mind with a passively cooled back like the P+ & IQ backs.

med

^^ what Graham said. I should have stressed that the passive/active cooling argument is just what SOME think and say... I’ve never had a problem with my aptus in any condition and I suspect there isn’t a huge difference in failure rates between passively cooled backs and actively cooled backs.

An argument in favour if active cooling would be that it is much more likely to maintain a healthy temperature in hot/humid conditions than a passively cooled device. I have had problems with heat shutting down passively cooled computer components, amps, and speakers and I’m sure that actively cooled components would have fared better in all cases. Just because something is passively cooled is doesn’t guarantee it’s function in all cases; the designers are usually counting on a certain amount of airflow around the cooling components to dissipate heat.

All this to say: don’t get hung up on which backs are more or less likely to fail as it’s a total crapshoot. Buy one that has the features/sensor you are looking for within your budget for your system of choice and enjoy. They are pretty much all as equally likely to fail as not.

david distefano

just got back from a few days on the eastern side of the sierra. did the bodie, mono lake, devils postpile, bristlecone pine and aspen fall foliage thing. today i started working on 2 of the images, one from the hasselblad h3dll 22 and 80mm lens and one from the nikon d850 with zeiss otus 85mm lens. i want to kick myself for buying the hasselblad. if i didn't have it i wouldn't be able to compare it with the nikon. the nikon d850 with the zeiss otus is sooooo sharp it is ridiculous, which i posted earlier with the doll photos. but when it comes to the tonal value transitions particularly in the high values the nikon is so abrupt, while the hasselblad just flows from one tonal value to the next as smooth as silk. is the hasselblad able to do this because of the pixel size or because it is 16 bit vs 14 bit for the nikon or a combination of both? i am sitting here looking at the images and wondering about selling the nikon and lens gear and purchase a second used hasselblad camera body with 50 or 60 mp's for color work and continue to use the 22 mp for black and white. any thoughts out there?

david distefano

i posted this yesterday so if all of a sudden there are 2 similar posts from me i am sorry.

my wife and i spent a few days on the eastern side of the sierra doing the bodie, mono lake, aspens, and bristlecone pine forest thing. yesterday i started to do preliminary work from the bristlecone pine forest. 1 from my nikon d850 and zeiss otus 85mm lens and 1 from my hasselblad h3dll-22 with 80mm lens. i wish i never bought the hasselblad, then i never would have to compare it to the nikon. as i posted earlier with the 2 doll pictures, the zeiss otus is soooo very sharp but the tonal transitions particularly in the high values just don't compare with the hasselblad. the hasselblad's transitions in the high values is so smooth, like silk. so here is my question. is the hasselblad's smoother high values because of the larger pixel size or because of the 16 bit hasselblad vs. the 14 bit nikon or a combination of both?

nathantw

A new morning bringing relief to the San Francisco Bay Area -- Rain!

Moment before it started raining --

Hasselblad 553ELX, 40mm CF, Phase One P25

Did I mention this was handheld?

dave.gt

If I could only have one... Of all those digital backs that are listed elsewhere in this thread, what is the consensus for the best one?:)

Fredrick

I have the option buy a lead Aptus 75 with a Mamiya 645 body and three lenses, 40mm 80mm and another for 1.2k usd. It has never been used. Is this a good deal and how would it fare against my D850?